Author Topic: distraction osteogenesis distrax to widen lower palate  (Read 25317 times)

pumukka

distraction osteogenesis distrax to widen lower palate
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »
I wasn't sure if open a new topic or write in an old one in the overbite section since its been a couple of months since anyone replied, but I think people could be interested in this...

I was wondering about distrax to widen my lower palate, before orthodontics and extractions I always wanted a wider palate/smile, extractions ruined it even more  >:(

A doctor I asked said they could do sarpe to widen my top arch but my bottom arch wouldn't fit together because they cant make the lower wider with just braces. So I was wondering is distraction osteogenesis the only way to widen the lower mandible arch? how bad this could be for the joints / TMJ? www.accutechortho.com/products/distrax

Opening the spaces and put implants would really widen it too? I'll even be happy to just have my old width even it wasn't that wide it was better than now  :( do this work? http://www.facefocused.com/ReOpen.html

I contacted MM and said its much work /time, but to me it would really make a difference a wider smile, do you guys know anymore doctors (in Europe) that do this method? and do you know what the approximate doctors fee would be?

Thanks!

Lazlo

• Private
Re: distraction osteogenesis distrax to widen lower palate
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »
you said you contacted MM who is that? i would also be interested in this as I want to eventually have my extractions opened up and some kind of implant etc. put in. But my fear is that it would take upto 2 years to correct and I can't stand being in braces that much longer --already been in braces for a 2.5 years.

pumukka

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »
Prof. Mommaerts. (MM) hehe. 2.5 years is a lot in braces!

My extraction spaces have opened up a little, Id be ok too with just widen the arch without using implants and just closing the gaps, although I prefer that wide full teeth smile. I only worry that in the next 5 years they'll suddenly start with the tooth regeneration cuz after surgery theres no way I could apply for that, I know its wishful thinking but who knows.

I still have my bicuspids in a sealed bag ( I asked to keep them) wish they could just implant that instead of implants. But for some part it does make sense that by putting teeth were they were supposed to be my face will be back to where it started, with a wider smile, bigger cheeks etc...  I so wish to have all that back  :'(

I'll contact distrax manufactures and hope they can give me some referals and let you know

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 09:18:22 PM »
Prof. Mommaerts. (MM) hehe. 2.5 years is a lot in braces!

My extraction spaces have opened up a little, Id be ok too with just widen the arch without using implants and just closing the gaps, although I prefer that wide full teeth smile. I only worry that in the next 5 years they'll suddenly start with the tooth regeneration cuz after surgery theres no way I could apply for that, I know its wishful thinking but who knows.

I still have my bicuspids in a sealed bag ( I asked to keep them) wish they could just implant that instead of implants. But for some part it does make sense that by putting teeth were they were supposed to be my face will be back to where it started, with a wider smile, bigger cheeks etc...  I so wish to have all that back  :'(

I'll contact distrax manufactures and hope they can give me some referals and let you know

did you find any referrals in north america?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »
bump, did you contact distrax?

pumukka

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 06:02:13 PM »
not yet, I've been busy this week, but will contact them soon :)

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:19:47 PM »
not yet, I've been busy this week, but will contact them soon :)

And....

pumukka

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 04:15:36 PM »
Distrax hasnt contact me back  :-\

I guess reimplanting the extracted premolars is not a fix to not having surgery/sarpe, but at least will put you back where you started(+straight teeth) and fix what extractions ruined, then some will still need or want to have the surgery they needed.

So having had my bicuspid premolar extracted, and reopening and putting them back might lead to bone loss problem etc. What would be the best solution to have that big wide "hollywood" smile?

Cuz If I still had all my premolars and then I have sarpe + surgery I would have that "perfect" smile. That I dont think it can be archived now even if they do sarpe to expand it and make my smille less narrow with no black triangles, you can still kinda see the difference between 28 and 24 teeth smiles

pumukka

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 05:29:48 PM »
Maybe I explained my self wrong. I'm sure there are also 32 teeth narrow smiles.

What I meant is normally, the "beautiful hollywood wide smile" (I dont like that name but lets call it that) you can see its wide and I believe most have 2 set of premolars, at least the ones considered most beautiful have them all (yes I checked and counted them lol)
Not to say there arent wide smiles with just 1 set of premolars, maybe even missing one set of molars too hehe

Its not a huge deal at all, but there is a bit of difference in a smile with 1 premolar and a bigger molar afterwards then a smile with 2 premolars cuz it didnt had extractions. Of course it also matter the size of teeth, arch shape, the soft tissue, how wide the mouth opens when it smiles, after all I was talking about that "perfect hollywood smile" not just a very nice smile

It was just a comment made from my personal preference not like even trained eyes will focus on this small thing, especially if one is not an actor/model cuz they wont have pics/film taken up so close up

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 06:19:40 PM »
How come you didn't have to have your wisdom teeth out yet?

pumukka

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 06:43:28 PM »
You could still be narrow but more than likely not more narrow than before I guess, thats also what I was saying :)

I'm not sure, I would like to have back the real ones, then i wish they already did the regrowing of teeth or just implant my real old teeth lol

small spaces have opened where my premolars used to be so I dont know if close the diastemas or opening them more and implants, either option includes surgery and expanding the arches, I still want to consult some more doctors, but everything is so much complicated now...  :'(

x

• Private
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 06:49:31 PM »
How come you didn't have to have your wisdom teeth out yet?
They haven't come in yet and aren't causing any pain  8)

the dentist made mention of it a little while back but didn't the last time i saw him. If there's not a bonafide problem I'm not getting them taken out

Lazlo

• Private

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 04:59:54 AM »
They haven't come in yet and aren't causing any pain  8)

the dentist made mention of it a little while back but didn't the last time i saw him. If there's not a bonafide problem I'm not getting them taken out

Are you having surgery?    If so don't they have to take the wisdom out to use that space for cuts and screws?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 01:05:49 AM »
I just have to block my emotions and not think about it, it makes me pretty sad and upset otherwise :/
it makes such a difference when no extractions are made >:(

it makes a huge difference. extractions ruined our f**king bites/mouths/appearances. The last few nights I've been out I can spot extraction cases. I was at a bar talking to various girls and I was like, you had your four bicuspid teeth extracted, right? And all the people I asked said yes and didn't know there was anything wrong. I can tell because while their teeth looked straight their arches looked very small and their mouths were recessed slightly. Once you can recognize it you see it all over the place and you can just tell the people would have looked so much better if they had had SARPE or rapid palatal expansion to grow their jaws and fit all their teeth.

I would have it reversed but i don't want implants (i.e. fake teeth screwed into my mouth). If in the future they ever develop the science to genetically engineer or grow teeth I'll get distraction and have new teeth implanted. i feel like i've been permanently disfigured.