Author Topic: distraction osteogenesis distrax to widen lower palate  (Read 25295 times)

CK

• Private
Re: distraction osteogenesis distrax to widen lower palate
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 01:26:35 AM »
extractions as a child or adult??

Alue

• Private
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 03:04:57 AM »
it makes a huge difference. extractions ruined our f**king bites/mouths/appearances. The last few nights I've been out I can spot extraction cases. I was at a bar talking to various girls and I was like, you had your four bicuspid teeth extracted, right? And all the people I asked said yes and didn't know there was anything wrong. I can tell because while their teeth looked straight their arches looked very small and their mouths were recessed slightly. Once you can recognize it you see it all over the place and you can just tell the people would have looked so much better if they had had SARPE or rapid palatal expansion to grow their jaws and fit all their teeth.

I would have it reversed but i don't want implants (i.e. fake teeth screwed into my mouth). If in the future they ever develop the science to genetically engineer or grow teeth I'll get distraction and have new teeth implanted. i feel like i've been permanently disfigured.

Did you have extractions done as an adult or as a kid?  I had em as a kid and I knew something was off at the time, but never realized how bad it was till I started researching the topic.  Looking at pictures and x-rays I think my case is a bit more extreme than most extraction cases (with regards to how much it changed my facial appearance). 

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 09:35:07 AM »
i had them as an adult, but i think they're bad at any age. they should grow the jaw.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 10:12:22 AM »
I wonder if anyone has successfully sued their ortho for disfiguring them? Makes me so angry that these butchers continue to get away with it, I mean they must know that they're potentially screwing up someones face, right?

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
I don't think they do because they don't see people long term and they are focused solely on the bite and stewing teeth.

CK

• Private
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 12:41:25 PM »
i had them as an adult, but i think they're bad at any age. they should grow the jaw.

not sure how extractions as an adult would affect growth...obviously complicate jaw surgery though.

pekay

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »
not sure how extractions as an adult would affect growth...obviously complicate jaw surgery though.

doesn't affect growth but the jaw shrinks and upper tooth extraction would cause loss of mid-face structural support

it definitely seems to complicate jaw surgery

this guy had the usual 4 bicuspid extraction (when he was younger apparently) and he needed SARPE + bi-max to correct all the mess it created

Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »
doesn't affect growth but the jaw shrinks and upper tooth extraction would cause loss of mid-face structural support

this guy had the usual 4 bicuspid extraction (when he was younger apparently) and he needed SARPE + bi-max to correct all the mess it created

i see it. it's subtle though...not like totally ruining his face or anything. i imagine extractions as a child would do a number on the face tho.

Moon Pix 1985

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »
I had extractions when I was about 20 but untill then I lived with blocked out upper canines so I must have had pretty bad crowding. Would my growth have been as bad as someone who had the extractions when they were a kid and had relatively straight teeth from braces?

x

• Private
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 03:24:47 PM »
I had extractions when I was about 20 but untill then I lived with blocked out upper canines so I must have had pretty bad crowding. Would my growth have been as bad as someone who had the extractions when they were a kid and had relatively straight teeth from braces?
how many extrractions did you have?

Moon Pix 1985

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 03:32:16 PM »
how many extrractions did you have?

Two from my upper jaw.

CK

• Private
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »

not at all. 20 your bones should be hard and done growing for the most part.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 10:13:41 AM »

wow didn't notice this before, but this guy has horrible, horrible tooth recession, he also has pretty bad dark triangles near the molars (which I also have, cannot be corrected orthodontically). As I was saying before these spaces are created by extractions. I also just read a long blog post by a orthodontist warning that the reason they do 4 bicuspid extractions is because they can't just take out part of a tooth and usually when they do two upper, they have to do two lower. There's no precision in it or any really thought, it's just a reflex protocol. So it almost always leads to there being too much space left between teeth.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »
as I predicted the technique of widening the lower jaw is beginning to attain wider and wider dominance. Here's a notable clinic in Palo Alto where they distract the lower jaw to match the upper.

http://www.sleepapneasurgery.com/maxillomandibular_expansion.html

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 04:38:37 PM »

Its funny that in the after his midface projection doesnt seem as good and jaw is more narrow. Only things that were positive aesthetically were the bite and cheekbones from 3/4. Everything else seemed to get worse.