Author Topic: Finance options for jaw surgery?  (Read 2100 times)

wge13

Finance options for jaw surgery?
« on: July 02, 2016, 12:37:32 AM »
how does one finance jaw surgery? do surgeons usually expect u to pay the entire full amount upfront? do surgeons offer payment plans where u pay it off monthly? and wat if insurance wont cover for it, wat are the other options into paying for it? medical loans or credit cards? for the ones who actually gotten surgery, how did u guys pay for it?

TMKA

Re: Finance options for jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 04:17:55 AM »
My insurance paid for the double jaw surgery, I had to pay for the braces ($7000). I also had to pay for the sliding genio. My ortho takes monthly payments with no finance charge.

wge13

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
i dont think insurance will cover for mines thats why i want to know wat other financing options r out there  :-\

kjohnt

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 02:45:12 PM »
CareCredit is an option but understand the terms because you will pay all interest accrued from the first month of the loan if you do not pay in full during the period allotted.  They hope you will do this as that's how they get paid.

Personal loan is another option.  These generally come with high interest rates so if you have any assets to back it (e.g. real estate) you can get better rates.  Again, missing payments will get you into a world of hurt so make sure you can pay it off.

If you choose either of the above options, you'll likely also need to shop around for a surgeon who offers affordable rates for those without insurance. They are rare, but do exist.

Finally you can shop around for a secondary insurance policy for which you'll have to pay out of pocket.  Then you get to go through the dance of working to get them to approve it.  Then you must hold onto that insurance until you have your surgery and probably afterward in case of complications.  You'll generally have to have it for a year prior to approval or your condition will be considered "pre-existing."

kjohnt

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
To add to my above post, it should be obvious, but this isn't going to cost a trivial amount of money unless your employer happens to have insurance policies that cover orthognathic surgery.  Many now days specifically state that they won't cover it.  Be prepared to spend a large sum of money.

wge13

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:16:38 AM »
i am planning on consulting with this one doctor and if i decide to go with him i see that he offers financing thru carecredit so i might jus go with that