Before/After Photos > Other

Palatal expansion

(1/2) > >>

x:
Would this be done before or after surgery?

I have the black spaces at the corners of my mouth + a crossbite I want to get rid of

stupidjaws:
it really depends! i wouldn't worry too much of palatal expansion.

Anyhow i believe in your case you need a bimax pluss some degree of ccw because your occlusal plane is steep

x:

--- Quote from: stupidjaws on April 18, 2013, 03:33:10 PM ---it really depends! i wouldn't worry too much of palatal expansion.

Anyhow i believe in your case you need a bimax pluss some degree of ccw because your occlusal plane is steep

--- End quote ---
Yeah I think CCW + advancement of both jaws will correct most things

But how is a crossbite corrected but with palatal expansion? I thought it signaled that the upper arch was too narrow for the lower arch

Lazlo:

--- Quote from: Euphoria on April 18, 2013, 03:39:25 PM ---Yeah I think CCW + advancement of both jaws will correct most things

But how is a crossbite corrected but with palatal expansion? I thought it signaled that the upper arch was too narrow for the lower arch

--- End quote ---

crossbite means that yes the upper arch is sitting inside the lower arch. I believe rapid palatal expansion (done BEFORE surgery) is the best solution to this. It requires a preliminary operation to insert and then take out the device and it's a pain in the ass, but it's much better to get it done right. Consult with a few orthos about this to get specifics. If they say we can't expand your upper arch too much because your lower is narrow find an ortho who does lower mandibular expansion as well --there are some who distract the lower jaw too. But I don't have any more info on this --consult a few orthos and do online research there are several threads on this forum also about palatal expansion and lower jaw expansion.

x:

--- Quote from: Lazlo on April 18, 2013, 03:57:18 PM ---crossbite means that yes the upper arch is sitting inside the lower arch. I believe rapid palatal expansion (done BEFORE surgery) is the best solution to this. It requires a preliminary operation to insert and then take out the device and it's a pain in the ass, but it's much better to get it done right. Consult with a few orthos about this to get specifics. If they say we can't expand your upper arch too much because your lower is narrow find an ortho who does lower mandibular expansion as well --there are some who distract the lower jaw too. But I don't have any more info on this --consult a few orthos and do online research there are several threads on this forum also about palatal expansion and lower jaw expansion.

--- End quote ---
excellent, thanks Lazlo!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version