Author Topic: Results from chin wing surgeries  (Read 24300 times)

LeFort 3000

Re: Results from chin wing surgeries
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2016, 03:30:23 AM »
Just from the reports i've read on here and other forums, it seems to be the result of what you describe: a fairly tricky surgery and an unflexible bone wing being moved around. There does seem to be quite a lot of people mentioning asymmetry and it's quite worrying. I just wonder now if it really has any benefit over a regular genioplasty? If the improvements to jaw angles are as minimal as they sound, then i doubt there is any need for me to bother with it; i'd be better off just accepting it, or using filler/implants. Granted, i don't think i'll require a big movement, so that may lessen the risk somewhat, but it has got me doubting things!

Can anyone clarify exactly what the differences are aesthetically between a chin-wing and a genio? Does the chin-wing actually mimic the result of lower jaw surgery? (which is ideally what i need, but my bite isn't bad enough to warrant it)
http://i.imgur.com/jaoTJ5C.jpg
on this pic you can see how a chin wing can make the jaw a little more wider/more prominent...but not a huge improvement tho. if you want huge improvements you must get custom made wraparound jaw implants...but honestly most of the time they look weird as well...it sometimes looks like the people got bigger and wider jaws but soft and squishy like the jaw was filled with water or something lol.

anyway a chin wing will be closer to a jaw surgery than a genio because you will move so much more bone forward and the skin will be much more stretched....it gives a much more sharp and masculizing effect than genio because there is a bigger forward movement. also with genio there is the problem of a witch chin. it looks good from profile...but im not so sure a genio looks good from the front if you have a small chin. atleast thats my observation, but i guess for certain faces a genio is the better option, for others a chin wing.

overall genio comes with less change but also less risk for damage or asymmetry. chin wing is alot more difficult procedure which makes it more prone to problems...but in return you can hope for more extreme jawline results

UnderMunch

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2016, 05:04:32 AM »
I think that even the mediocre results I've seen chin wings and genio plastys have been better than any jaw angle or chin implant results I've seen: implants seem to either make no difference whatsoever or just swell up the specific area where the implant has been placed, giving a big improvement but the rounded off look, not square or defined.

Wether that's actual swelling or a big implants, or because the position of the implants shift, I don't know. But I'm 100% sure I'm not getting any of the implants in my face that are currently available.

baldguy83

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2016, 05:05:13 AM »
It boils down to this:

Chin wing makes your lower jaw wider by basically disconnecting the lower edge and moving it forward/outwards. ZO makes your midface wider by moving part of the zygomatic bone outwards. Both movements are stabilised with bone grafts, often harvested from the hip (yay, big scar). Chin wings often introduce additional asymmetry.

So if you have a narrow face, both might be a good idea. If you're looking for flared jaw angles, improved gonion angle in the back, or high model-like cheekbones, then you're probably out of luck.

Avoid implants at all costs.

baldguy83

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2016, 05:08:37 AM »
You mentioned the ZO provides only lateral enhancement. Im wondering on what height excatly?
Since you're experiencing increased (lateral) under-eye hollowing I guess the inferior orbital rim stays untouched during surgery and the cut is made somewhere in the "middle" of the zygomatic bone (if that makes any sense). Would you confirm this?

Lateral width is added at the level of your current cheekbones by moving the inferior lateral portion of the zygomatic bone outward. In some people this can look bad. Yes, the cut is made through the zygomatic bone. Orbital rims are not touched, and you absolutely do not want to touch these as they more-or-less keep your eyes in place.

This is also the reason why ZOs can worsen under-eye hollowing: part of the zygomatic bone is moved outwards but the (recessed) orbital rims stay in place.

baldguy83

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2016, 05:13:36 AM »
I also have asymmetry from my chin wing. I honestly can't be f**ked to get it fixed though, it's minor.

Did you experience any problems with the incision in your mouth? I'm two months post op and it feels sooo tight. Seeing a max fac on Tuesday, I'm hoping he can see what's going on, as it's primarily on the left side.

In my case the asymmetry was quite significant. My chin looked crooked, necessitating an additional genioplasty. Dr. Z. thought it looked fine, I disagreed. No problem with the incisions, sorry to hear you're having trouble. Did you go to dr. Z. as well?

heshian

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2016, 06:57:03 AM »
Thank you for the clarification.

BlueShark7

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2016, 12:30:04 PM »
It boils down to this:

Chin wing makes your lower jaw wider by basically disconnecting the lower edge and moving it forward/outwards. ZO makes your midface wider by moving part of the zygomatic bone outwards. Both movements are stabilised with bone grafts, often harvested from the hip (yay, big scar). Chin wings often introduce additional asymmetry.

So if you have a narrow face, both might be a good idea. If you're looking for flared jaw angles, improved gonion angle in the back, or high model-like cheekbones, then you're probably out of luck.

Avoid implants at all costs.

Re: bone graft, I wonder if calvarial (skull bone) grafts are ever used with this type of procedure. Apparently they are the most stable and less likely to resorb and I imagine the scar would be hidden under hair.

LeFort 3000

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2016, 01:28:52 PM »
lets also not forget this: once you got your aesthetic problems fixed its hard to complain about other things. going from recessed chin to prominent chin must feel great...for a few weeks...suddenly you are used to it tho and then you see the asymmetry, the crooked chin etc...of course you are annoyed by that and rightfully so...but we shouldnt forget that we are not doing this s**t for fun. we are doing it coz we are heavily aesthetically handicapped. and every improvement in that regard is great eventho it might not be 100% perfect

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2016, 02:00:15 PM »
lets also not forget this: once you got your aesthetic problems fixed its hard to complain about other things. going from recessed chin to prominent chin must feel great...for a few weeks...suddenly you are used to it tho and then you see the asymmetry, the crooked chin etc...of course you are annoyed by that and rightfully so...but we shouldnt forget that we are not doing this s**t for fun. we are doing it coz we are heavily aesthetically handicapped. and every improvement in that regard is great eventho it might not be 100% perfect

yeah but it's not much of an aesthetic improvement if it's asymmetric --sorry but that's just the truth. A guy with a small chin and a guy with a big honker of a chin that's f**king off to the side or not straight and balanced with the face are equally f**ked as far as I'm concerned.

LeFort 3000

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »
yeah but it's not much of an aesthetic improvement if it's asymmetric --sorry but that's just the truth. A guy with a small chin and a guy with a big honker of a chin that's f**king off to the side or not straight and balanced with the face are equally f**ked as far as I'm concerned.
i disagree. a recessed chin is the worst feature for a man in my book. i rather have a square jaw with a prominent chin with a little asymmetry than a symmetric small recessed chin.
my mandible for example is already asymmetric. on the one side my gonion lines up with my zygo...on the other side my gonion is more inward. also my mandible does some weird curves and s**t. so yeah...this could be alot better if i developed right. but guess what really kills me? and why i wanna do plastic surgery? my recessed chin. thats what really kills the symmetry of the whole face, not just the mandible
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:18:12 PM by LeFort 3000 »

baldguy83

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
Yeah, but when you end up with an asymmetric strong chin you will want to get it fixed ASAP, trust me :-)

We all are striving for 'perfection', otherwise we would not be considering elective surgery.

LeFort 3000

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
yes we certain we will. but lets not forget what brought us this big prominent chin in the first place.
sure chin-wing is more prone to asymmetry and other problems than genio. but some people need the chin-wing. if they didnt need it they would go with a genio. now those people who need or want a chin-wing, they can still decide if they rather fix the problems theyve got and accept certain problems which might occur or if they rather dont change anything at all.
im always pro-change personally. i will very soon have my consult with dr Z...and if the cw is possible, i will book my surgery. i would hate to have any kind of asymmetry or pain problems or whatever...but i guess i hate it more to run around with a retruded chin and therefore too protruded nose.

of course we can still debate if the chin-wing is really the best option compared to double jaw/custom wraparound implant/genio.
but for some people double jaw is simply not in reach and genio creates its own problems too. an implant has its own problems also. so whats the lesser of all evils? whats has the best result/risk/cost-ratio? i dont know...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:58:09 PM by LeFort 3000 »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2016, 06:50:17 PM »
Yeah, but when you end up with an asymmetric strong chin you will want to get it fixed ASAP, trust me :-)

We all are striving for 'perfection', otherwise we would not be considering elective surgery.

plus 1

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2016, 06:52:04 PM »
i disagree. a recessed chin is the worst feature for a man in my book. i rather have a square jaw with a prominent chin with a little asymmetry than a symmetric small recessed chin.
my mandible for example is already asymmetric. on the one side my gonion lines up with my zygo...on the other side my gonion is more inward. also my mandible does some weird curves and s**t. so yeah...this could be alot better if i developed right. but guess what really kills me? and why i wanna do plastic surgery? my recessed chin. thats what really kills the symmetry of the whole face, not just the mandible

DUDE EVERYONE HAS A SLIGHT ASYMMETRY even BRAD PITT, but I'm talking about noticeable asymmetry, and trust me the bigger your chin is or the volume of your jaw is which it will be to look BIGGER THE MORE THE ASYMMETRY will be noticed.

SO SORRY. NO TO ASYMMETRY. NO TO f**kING NOTICEABLE ASYMMETRY ON YOUR FEATURES. f**k THAT s**t AND FIND A f**kING CURE TO IT>

baldguy83

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2016, 11:53:58 PM »
Well, what I'm saying is that if you want a chin wing, be prepared to shell out the cash for a corrective genioplasty down the road as well. Keep that in mind.