Author Topic: did somebody see this??? HELP!  (Read 4092 times)

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
did somebody see this??? HELP!
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »

Lazlo

• Private
Re: did somebody see this??? HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:33:51 AM »
http://www.dryaremchuk.com/english/cbi.php

Is it true???

This is actually a very important topic and one I only learned about recently. I think everyone who has had this surgery and still visits this board should give their feedback as to whether they feel any irregularities --that would be quite helpful.

I can tell you the following: the surgeon I consulted with here who did a computer simulation of my surgery (from a 3-D CT scan of my skull) showed me that the two sides of my mandible are fairly asymmetric. He showed me that doing the advancement was going to cause one side of the mandible to "kick out" and that the bone would remodel on that side in a noticeably different way and that only a year AFTER surgery if this asymmetry bothered me he could go back and "shave" or contour the irregularities.
So yes, what Dr. yaremchuk has written seems VERY TRUE and POSSIBLE. I don't know how common it is though.

One question I have is that perhaps surgeons with a lot of experience such as Arnett, Gunson, Schendel know how to deal with these or forestall them somehow. I wonder for example, if the high number of bone grafts and HA paste which A/G use is meant to fill in and recontour the osteotomy sites with an eye towards preventing such asymmetry from occurring during the bone remodeling phase.

Preventing the "step-off" from a genioplasty I think is not that difficult, by the asymmetry of the sides of the mandible or maxilla which could result from surgery I think is far more problematic.

Actually, it would be great if Marisama, Tree etc., Antbee and anyone else who has had the surgery is aware of asymmetry at this point or irregularities, step-offs etc. on the lower or upper jaw contours. Or if anyone knows if there are any techniques surgeons use to prevent it.

To answer your question: YES it is a very real issue.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »
I had HA grafting underneath the madibular osteotomy site. I have no signs of irregular bone shape.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »
I had HA grafting underneath the madibular osteotomy site. I have no signs of irregular bone shape.

That's awesome, and actually as I had suspected in terms of why A/G use HA...
From what I recall you were fairly asymmetric to begin with so it would interesting to know all that steps A/G took to prevent the potential of asymmetric bone remodelling. I'm assuming that surgeons who do not use HA might have other techniques but bone grafts are really the only other thing I can think of...

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 05:51:17 PM »
In an ideal world I want like 2cm jaw and 5mm chin.

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »
Border irregularities secondary to mandibular osteotomies can be a problem, although Dr. Yaremchuk may be somewhat exaggerating the magnitude thereof. It only negatively affects aesthetics if the advancement is quite large and/or with significant CCW rotation AND the surgeon neglects to adequately address the osteotomy site with autogenous bone grafting, BMP or HA.

Even in the absence of proper bone grafting, a large CCW rotation may take place with no negative aesthetic effect. The magnitude of the border deformity is dependent on both the specific patients facial morphology and the chosen surgical plane.

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
In an ideal world I want like 2cm jaw and 5mm chin.

You might not. Depending on the proportions of your mandible (i.e, whether it is micrognathic or merely retrognathic), such a large advancement may cause a deformity of its own. If a huge advancement is truly indicated, however, then any mild aesthetic abnormality is easily outweighed the more prominent/actually visible jaw.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »
The gaps for chin advancement are on your jaw line. Imagine you have a straight bone and the chin was advanced and brought down a little. So there is a bump which makes me face look like  short on the jaw angle and long in the front. I need jaw angle implants but I dont want anything foreig in my body anymore. Or I should have my chin up again, I dont know.  Another thing that made my jaw uneven is my back teeth removal. The area of bone where the teeth was removed is thinner

If you are very thin and your skin is also very thin like me, yes you can see them. There is a bump where the cut is made.

What back teeth was this?

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 04:33:59 PM »
jojo, im sure you're the only one to really notice.

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »
ok i will try to find the pics immediately!