Author Topic: Unimpressed with smile post-op.  (Read 17657 times)

Fallout

Unimpressed with smile post-op.
« on: May 14, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »
Just over two years ago I had surgery (through the NHS) to correct my underbite. I had both upper and lower jaw surgery. I've been happy with my overall profile and the underbite has gone, but I really do not like my new smile at all. I had two years of braces before the big op and I was excited to have a smile that I could finally be proud of, but sadly this wasn't the case for me. I feel that my smile is now goofy. Initially I thought that the surgeon had given me an overbite, but I explained my concerns to him post-op and he completely re-assured me that the bite was perfect. He told me that that these things just take time to settle. Well, I waited and waited and I've been scratching my head ever since. I really have tried to accept my new smile but I really dislike it! It makes me look completely bizarre. It's upsetting that I didn't get that perfect smile that I was dreaming of and I am considering making an appointment to see the surgeon again.

I went through a hell of lot to get to that op and it's sad that I haven't ended up with what a deem to be a nice smile. I look far better with my mouth closed, and that's a bit sad really. My teeth are straight, the underbite is gone, but my smile when showing teeth is very horse-like. I really don't get it at all. Someone commented that it looks like I have false teeth in, and they're right, it does look a bit like that :(

I know it's been two years but if I'm unhappy with my smile then do you guys think I should try and make an appointment?

pekay

Re: Unimpressed with smile post-op.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
you think he lowered your maxilla a bit too much?

trying to fix this little smile issue is only going to require more surgery, are you ready to go down that route again ?

Chopsticks > Spoons

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »
if you post photos we can tell you if there's ACTUALLY anything wrong

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »
You can just crop out the rest of your face if you want

Fallout

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »
Yeah, I know there's not much advice you guys can give without looking at some photos. I'll attempt to take some photos later when I get home from work, but I'll probably crop the majority of my face out  :D

Fallout

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:58:43 AM »
Ok, let's try this again. Session timed out on my first attempt and I forgot to copy/paste. Go me :/

Profile:

http://s22.postimg.org/j523xsgch/2013_05_15_18_51_52.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/wyybrb99x/885535_306734116119030_1518456830_o.jpg

Mouth closed:

http://s16.postimg.org/gsch9fknp/2013_05_15_18_46_56_2.jpg

Smiling with teeth:

http://s18.postimg.org/ydv640z3t/2013_05_15_18_49_21_2.jpg

Teeth biting together:

http://s16.postimg.org/duk3th2dx/2013_05_15_19_11_38_2.jpg

I hope those links work, I've never hosted photos online before. I feel like I'm possibly just being too fussy and striving for a perfect look. I know there are people out there with worse issues than me and I should probably just accept what I've got, but it's just a bit disappointing that I didn't get the smile that I was hoping for.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 12:02:40 PM »
GOSH...

your results are aesthetically speaking, great.

however, your occlusion is now f**ked, but i don't think you need surgery. you need braces again, im sorry to tell you that.

I believe that only with braces you could achieve a good occlusion but i may be wrong.

As in now you have a 3rd class relation and a crossibite (probably?)

Fallout

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
I had a bad feeling that my bite was off but I tend to bury my head in the sand about it. Yes, he took my braces off about 6 months after my surgery and they seemed to call it a day. I've had two appointments since my braces came off but they haven't once told me that I'd be needing more brace work or that anything was wrong at all. Is the bite really bad then? It's frustrating to hear that I might need more work done but I'm willing to do it if it will solve the problem. I'm far from being an expert but I can definitely see what you guys are talking about, the teeth don't really bite together on one side.

Should I make an appointment about this issue? I don't mind more brace work but the thought of having more surgery is definitely a little off-putting. It was bad enough the first time around, hah.

Sadly (Or not so sadly, I looked awful) I don't have a pic of my smile pre-op. Naturally the maxillofacial clinic have all of those photos but I don't own any, sorry.

pekay

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »
edge to edge bite + posterior cross bite

what did you have done exactly? do you remember?
Chopsticks > Spoons

Fallout

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »
edge to edge bite + posterior cross bite

what did you have done exactly? do you remember?

I only know that I had both upper and lower jaw surgery and that I had one of the worst cases of underbite that they'd seen, I'm unsure of the exact details of the surgery though. Sorry, I know that's not very helpful!

CK

• Private
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »
Sadly (Or not so sadly, I looked awful) I don't have a pic of my smile pre-op. Naturally the maxillofacial clinic have all of those photos but I don't own any, sorry.

Are you an American?

I don't know the laws in other countries but any photos or records taken by doctors are yours by law. You have a right to a copy of your photos and records, all of them. Just ask and they should mail you them.

Yeah what is the deal with your bite? I would imagine it is quite uncomfortable. I think your smile is fine actually, I would give it some time your nerves and muscles might need to heal more. Just a thought.

Fallout

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 01:46:02 PM »
Are you an American?

I don't know the laws in other countries but any photos or records taken by doctors are yours by law. You have a right to a copy of your photos and records, all of them. Just ask and they should mail you them.

Yeah what is the deal with your bite? I would imagine it is quite uncomfortable. I think your smile is fine actually, I would give it some time your nerves and muscles might need to heal more. Just a thought.

No, I'm British. Born in the UK and lived here my entire life. Yeah, I could probably request that I have the photos and records sent to me. It's worth a shot.

I'm a bit sad that my bite seems to be off. Is this something that I should try to get fixed? I wouldn't say that it is extremely uncomfortable but it definitely doesn't feel or look correct when I bite my teeth together. Hopefully it just requires more brace work. I can deal with that, I think.

CK

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 03:28:14 PM »
No, I'm British. Born in the UK and lived here my entire life. Yeah, I could probably request that I have the photos and records sent to me. It's worth a shot.

I'm a bit sad that my bite seems to be off. Is this something that I should try to get fixed? I wouldn't say that it is extremely uncomfortable but it definitely doesn't feel or look correct when I bite my teeth together. Hopefully it just requires more brace work. I can deal with that, I think.

yes britain has similar laws, i believe the data protection laws. those are your photos, it's your tax dollars that are supporting the nhs. you own it.

crazy your bite is so wonky after surgery, was it like that immediately after surgery? did you have a split? lot of complications can occur then..

Fallout

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:31:36 AM »
yes britain has similar laws, i believe the data protection laws. those are your photos, it's your tax dollars that are supporting the nhs. you own it.

crazy your bite is so wonky after surgery, was it like that immediately after surgery? did you have a split? lot of complications can occur then..

Honestly, I'm not sure if my bite was like that immediately after surgery. I was in too much pain to even check if the bite was perfect. They said everything went well and I assumed everything was fine. Yes I had a split.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »
That bite is post op?  Yikes.  Go see another ortho and surgeon.  I'm sorry man!