Author Topic: Unimpressed with smile post-op.  (Read 17658 times)

Fallout

Re: Unimpressed with smile post-op.
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 06:56:17 AM »
Thanks for your support, elysium87. I think you're right, they probably don't want to correct the bite due to budget cuts, which is unfortunate but understandable. I'm not silly enough to think that I'm a huge priority for the NHS. I know that my bite isn't life-threatening. It's just extremely disheartening because of every thing I went through to correct the bite.

I'm not actually sure if the relapse is orthodontic or surgical. I was in the appointment for no more than 10 minutes and they didn't go into any great detail. They're really poor at explaining these things, they just seem to want to get you out of there as quickly as possible. I never seem to leave these appointments with a good understanding because I'm simply not in there for long enough and the nurses and surgeons just seem to whisper amongst themselves!

I'm sorry to hear of your similar troubles. I fear that I will also have to go the private route eventually, but I can't afford to do that at the moment.

elysium87

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »
Thanks for your support, elysium87. I think you're right, they probably don't want to correct the bite due to budget cuts, which is unfortunate but understandable. I'm not silly enough to think that I'm a huge priority for the NHS. I know that my bite isn't life-threatening. It's just extremely disheartening because of every thing I went through to correct the bite.

I'm not actually sure if the relapse is orthodontic or surgical. I was in the appointment for no more than 10 minutes and they didn't go into any great detail. They're really poor at explaining these things, they just seem to want to get you out of there as quickly as possible. I never seem to leave these appointments with a good understanding because I'm simply not in there for long enough and the nurses and surgeons just seem to whisper amongst themselves!

I'm sorry to hear of your similar troubles. I fear that I will also have to go the private route eventually, but I can't afford to do that at the moment.

Unfortunately, they are trying to fob you off. I was subjected to a nasty meeting at my hospital because I asked for my medical records. They had 4 consultants in the room and tried to intimidate me in to thinking nothing was wrong with my bite. Even though it clearly is. Anyways, they also discharged me and now it is the private route if I want to fix this. I feel so angry that I endured 4 years of braces and a major surgery, plus 2 months of recovery just for a substandard result.

Fallout

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »
Unfortunately, they are trying to fob you off. I was subjected to a nasty meeting at my hospital because I asked for my medical records. They had 4 consultants in the room and tried to intimidate me in to thinking nothing was wrong with my bite. Even though it clearly is. Anyways, they also discharged me and now it is the private route if I want to fix this. I feel so angry that I endured 4 years of braces and a major surgery, plus 2 months of recovery just for a substandard result.

I think they do try to intimidate us! There is always 5 or 6 people surrounding me when I go to these appointments. How difficult would it be to have a one-one-one with my surgeon? I have actually booked another appointment and I'm going to express my disappointment this time, regardless of how many people are present at the appointment.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2014, 01:41:49 PM »
I have had a second opinion from a Prof. Haers who believes he can correct this problem, although this is going to cost me my own cash! The NHS team have tried to tell me that Prof Haers is a radical doctor and his procedure is not going to work, but the are just arse covering.

I have to speak up here and say that I've heard similar about him from a number of impartial professionals, it was a huge red flag for me. Perhaps you should consider a consultation with another surgeon just to compare and contrast plans so you know you've made the best, safest choice possible?

elysium87

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 02:13:50 PM »
I have to speak up here and say that I've heard similar about him from a number of impartial professionals, it was a huge red flag for me. Perhaps you should consider a consultation with another surgeon just to compare and contrast plans so you know you've made the best, safest choice possible?

What have you heard about him?

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 03:50:45 AM »
What you just said, that he is radical. He will do more than strictly necessary, great if it works out but it doesn't always. Also, he spreads himself thin over many orthos instead of having a close working relationship with one or two.

If you're all set to use him then forget what I've said but if you're wavering at all then get a second opinion and compare plans.

elysium87

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 08:32:36 AM »
Well he is recommending what I was told I needed 10 years ago before I had my first surgery. My original NHS ortho told me I needed SARPE surgery first, unfortunately, when it came to treatment time I was handed off to another less experienced ortho who decided to use a quadhelix expander instead.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »
Well then I'm sure everything will be just fine.

elysium87

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 02:49:41 PM »
Well then I'm sure everything will be just fine.

Yep, I mean basically I know what he is recommending is what is needed to treat the problems I have. The only variable is the cosmetic side of things that different surgeons may have a different opinion of. I mean, the NHS ortho told me he can file my teeth and tip the backwards to fit under my top teeth....that is barbaric.

Fallout

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2014, 03:59:32 PM »
Thread derailed! I'm telling the mods!

Just kidding, I don't actually care :P

I'm still feeling disgusted and frustrated with my bite and the appearance of my smile. Do the NHS not give a crap about achieving an aesthetically pleasing smile when they do this op? I genuinely don't know what went wrong but my smile is absolutely bizarre. I daren't smile with my teeth in public or in photos. It genuinely looks god-awful to me. 

elysium87

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 06:57:48 AM »
Thread derailed! I'm telling the mods!

Just kidding, I don't actually care :P

I'm still feeling disgusted and frustrated with my bite and the appearance of my smile. Do the NHS not give a crap about achieving an aesthetically pleasing smile when they do this op? I genuinely don't know what went wrong but my smile is absolutely bizarre. I daren't smile with my teeth in public or in photos. It genuinely looks god-awful to me.

I completely understand you. I hit months of depression after finding out my bite relapsed. It effected my work, my relationship. No one can understand until they have been through 4 years of hardcore orthodontics and surgery only to end up with a substandard result. I hit bottom. Prof Haers told me the NHS are too bite focused and do not consider other elements. For example, I cannot breathe through my nose and this forced me to be a mouth breather, increasing risk of relapse. I am not sure what has happened in your case, have they not provided you any information as to why your bite has ended up like this? You can and should complain to PALS at the hospital. Are your front teeth edge to edge?

toothfairy

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 01:09:14 PM »
So what does one do when things go wrong with this kind of surgery? I went to see another surgeon to try and get a second opinion, but all I got was $250 bill for a Skype consultation in which he just told me how good he was. He then told me that it would cost $1000 for some 3D imaging thingy before he could tell me anything, plus a $250 fee every time I walked into his office. Oh and I'd have to have braces all over again!

Not only is going through the whole process again horrible but after paying out $18000 (after health insurance coverage) the first time, I simply can't afford it again.

I'm having speech problems so I'm going to get an appraisal from a speech therapist. I bite my lips when I eat and the skin where the titanium screws are is really itchy (not sure if it's related). It's been 18 months since my surgery so the wait fro improvement period is definitely over.