Author Topic: The risks against the potential rewards  (Read 1243 times)

Dan274

The risks against the potential rewards
« on: December 13, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »
Hey all,

I am looking (and have been recommended) to have jaw, chin and cheekbone augmentation in order to achieve a well defined, structured face. I was all set on going to Doctor Sailer however the more I read this forum the more I am put off.

My question is, if you're relatively ok looking (by relatively I mean that I can get through to tomorrow looking the way I do, but every time I look in the mirror I can't help but imagine myself with a well defined face), but I know that a successful surgery is going to make me a lot happier. Is it really worth it?

Are the risks that big? I have done a lot of revision and I found the name of doctors who are deemed as the best, however when I do further research I find things like this:

Dr. Mommaerts - Butcher?
Dr. Sailer - Un-natural?
Dr. Eppley - Sent me a ridiculous morph and put me off.

So where do you go, you save up a large budget to go to the best, but when you do research you find out that there is a big risk of the surgery being unsuccessful due to one reason or another. The changes I am looking for are subtle, and so can somebody like Sailer offer subtle changes (most of his before. afters are drastic changes)?

In terms of what is used within your face, am I correct in saying that Sailer is the only doctor who uses cartilage, and does that mean for long term (I'm 27) positive effects you should use this, or are what the likes of Mommaerts, Raffiani, Alfaro will use be good long term?

When people speak of revisions being very common, is this due to a low rate of successful surgery's across the board, or is this because people won't have gone to a very reputable doctor in the beginning and ended up needing to see one of 'the best' in order to have their surgery revised?

Researching creates a lot of doubt so any advice/ opinions or facts on the above is appreciated!

Kingusia87

Re: The risks against the potential rewards
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »
I have very similar thoughts and doubts. I am good looking but I would like to look better - have more defined jaws and cheekbones. I am afraid that I will aging badly because of small jaws. I think about two options:
1. Double jaw surgery and genioplasty with prof  Raffaini (I am also going to see prof Obwegeser and prof. Nadjmi) and in one year cheeks with prof. Sailer
2. Only genioplasty and cheek augmentation with prof. Sailer, maybe lip lift to have more exposure of upper teeth

I know that double jaw surgery will get me the best result but I am so afraid of nerve paralysis and noubness that I cannot decide even about wisdom teeth removal.
I know that objectively I should not do it, but I cannot get out of my mind the vision of better version of me

Dan274

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »
Pretty much exactly the same boat as I am in.

Double jaw surgery, am I correct in saying this is bimaxillary? And are you looking to have your jaw pushed outwards with implants to the jaw and genioplasty for aesthetics? The quote from Sailer for this surgery was over 100k which is definitely out of my price range, however I know this is a lot cheaper with Raffaini.

Nerve paralysis, is this where your nerve basically becomes stressed out from the surgery and you have pain which can last up to 2 years? Or am I miss informed about this?

I currently have invisalign, and so I don't know where I will sit in terms of double jaw surgery as my teeth should be perfect come next year.

It's a difficult situation to be in, as like you I see myself as much, much happier with surgery, but I also see myself thinking there was nothing wrong with you before hand if it doesn't go as I would like for it to.

CCW

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »
Gunson, Wolford or Posnick are the big names in the US, and they are cheaper than Sailer, but you can't achieve a big change that looks good and natural unless you're legit deformed (long face syndrome, Class III, or severely recessed).

[attachment deleted by admin]