Author Topic: Philtrum Length  (Read 2281 times)

Vic

Philtrum Length
« on: December 14, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »
How much does the length of your philtrum impact how good you look?

PloskoPlus

Re: Philtrum Length
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 04:07:56 PM »
I think it's overstated. I think it's hard for any single one feature to ruin someone's looks unless it's devastatingly bad. You can find loads of good looking people with a weak chin, or bad nose, or a long phultrum.

George Clooney's philtrum always looked a bit on the long side to me.
He has a very tall chin  to balance it. And his facial thirds are balanced.  it's all about pproportion. A philtrum may look long, but may measure normal, because the midface, nose is short and make the lip look long.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 06:56:16 PM »
This is a good insight. I hadn't looked at it that way.
Proportions and spacing above all. For example that good looking convict has massive cheekbones... Yet I think he has a small head.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 01:46:19 AM »
The most important aspect of it is the nose:upper lip ratio. Other important factors influencing perception of philtrum size are philtrum curvature, maxillary rotation and projection and nasolabial angle.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 02:34:33 AM »
The most important aspect of it is the nose:upper lip ratio. Other important factors influencing perception of philtrum size are philtrum curvature, maxillary rotation and projection and nasolabial angle.
This is true. My lefort I advancement did not change the length of the lip (that's impossible), but because it's now vertical and closer to the viewer it looks longer.

Deformed_Human

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 04:52:13 AM »
Can you PM a picture of your philtrum before and after? The lefort1 made it look longer? Are you happy with the le fort overall?

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 11:12:01 PM »
Negligible if it is proportionate to the rest of your facial features. Like anything if it's out of balance then it will detract from your looks and can look quite bad.

needadvancement

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 11:38:37 PM »
This is true. My lefort I advancement did not change the length of the lip (that's impossible), but because it's now vertical and closer to the viewer it looks longer.

You think so? I haven't thought of it that way but that is probably correct. Mine is a bit above average length but my upperjaw sticks out from the rest of my face(number of reasons for that) which makes my upperlip look terrible.

Although it did look better after my vertical genioplasty so the facial length proportions theory is true as well.