Author Topic: worried that veneers may impact my surgery  (Read 676 times)

tdawg

• Private
worried that veneers may impact my surgery
« on: December 13, 2016, 08:32:49 PM »
Im set to have orthognathic surgery sometime in the future(whenever my teeth are ready) to correct an open bite and vertical maxillary excess. The only problem is that a few years ago I got no prep veneers on my top teeth to fix staining and spacing. I think they lengthened some of my teeth. My concern is that either one of two things will happen.
1) The surgeon uses my incisor display at rest(which might be artificially increased by the extra length of the veneers) to determine how much to impact. In this case I am worried about the possibility they impact too much(because the top front teeth are longer than what they naturally were) leading to the correct tooth display at rest but a possible aged appearance or improper skeletal proportions.

2) They use my bite to determine how much to impact and they impact too little(since the the upper front teeth being lengthened would lead to less need for impaction to close the open bite) and I am still left with lip incompetence and VME after the hassle of orthognathic surgery.

Am i off base in having these fears?

David_D

• Private
Re: worried that veneers may impact my surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »
Did the veneers actually impact your bite?  I only have four upper veneers myself, and the bite wasn't impacted at all.  I think that tooth show at rest has to do with the lips and not with the length of the teeth unless the bite itself was impacted by the veneers.  Unless you had veneers on your molars that actually built up the teeth vertically, I don't expect that your bite was impacted by the veneers.  I think it's also good to get the specific (mm.) amount by which different surgical movements will be performed in advance of any surgery.