Author Topic: What is the current state of Xilloc-CT Bone?  (Read 7223 times)

Lestat

What is the current state of Xilloc-CT Bone?
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:05:48 AM »
The product:
http://www.xilloc.com/ct-bone/

Update:

The company Xilloc is having problems getting the production of the implants ready. Apparently they need additional machinery and set up cleanroom production. As of today they don't have the economical means to sort it out, so they're planning for a crowfounding campaign in hopes of being able to launch CT-BONE. Their chief operation officer fears it will take a bit longer then 2016. Price range for CT-BONE implants are still estimated between 4,000-8,000 EUR.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:46:23 AM by Lestat »

Lestat

Re: What is the current state of Xilloc CT Bone?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:08:08 AM »
I've asked Dr. Sinn to send the CT Bone people a note requesting info about the availability of the implants and he has done so. I'm skeptical they'll be available anytime soon but if they will be we will definitely know from Dr. Sinn.

Lestat

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 03:10:27 AM »
Ive tried contacting CT-bone's parent company now multiple times and never received a response.

And a lot of what theyve published recently makes them look incompetent/inexperienced (having trouble getting set up). It is probably good policy to manage our expectations re: ct-bone. None the less, 3d printing is still a powerful tool if it can manufacture materials as accurately as it is claimed to be.

Lestat

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 03:41:17 AM »
I agree, we should manage our expectations. But it will be worth seeing what the hell this CT Bone stuff even is and what tests have been done. Can you link us to any of the scientific papers about it?

Clinical studies have been performed in Japan.

The longest follow-up period is 3 years. The material for CT-Bone was developed in Japan and they have started clinical trials 3 years ago, so unfortunately there is no data yet about longer periods.

They send me a flyer with an example of 3y follow-up on a chin implant.

I will upload it this evening.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:53:06 AM by Lestat »

MrFox

Re: What is the current state of Xilloc-CT Bone?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 03:56:05 AM »
Thank you for this information.

Would it not be possible to contact a company who make custom implants and ask them to use a specific material like HA if you provide them with it?

Lestat

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 03:58:18 AM »
And here it is:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lestat

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 04:16:24 AM »
Dr. Barry Eppley's opinion regarding CT Bone:
http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/custom-skull-implant-2

Dr. Eppley is totally wrong!
CT-Bone is not yet released, so he can’t be familiar with it. The real application is augmentation, not inlay, the costs are yet even unknown to the company.

Lestat

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 04:19:26 AM »
Thank you for this information.

Would it not be possible to contact a company who make custom implants and ask them to use a specific material like HA if you provide them with it?

Thats a good question! Sorry but I dont know. Does anyone else know?

boyo

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 04:42:07 AM »
I did receive this video from Xilloc and i've posted it before, but it may be worth rewatching for anyone interested in CT-Bone.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=nq7csh&s=9#.WFKO71xD5PY

Lestat

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 04:48:28 AM »
I did receive this video from Xilloc and i've posted it before, but it may be worth rewatching for anyone interested in CT-Bone.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=nq7csh&s=9#.WFKO71xD5PY

Thanks! Let's post everything regarding CT Bone in this thread. :P

Lestat

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 04:56:30 AM »
Sinn very recently told me in his opinion they are not 100% replaced by bone. I will talk more about this over pm when I have time

Come on Greyandblue! Please keep as updated if any news arise. 8)

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 07:47:14 AM »
Hi Folks so I'm sorry to be the harbinger of potentially bad news, but better to be clear and realistic.

I found this recent study on the web about the CT BONE it implied the following as I've written and I sent Erik Boelin the head of the company my analysis of this paper and my misgivings about their product. He has not responded to me with any corrections or tell me I'm wrong. I don't think I am as my assessment is from info given in that study which is from 2016. I highly doubt anything new has resurfaced with the product. If what I've surmised is true, this is not  an acceptable product for me.

I'm fairly concerned after reading this study. It suggests several things:

1) CT Bone can still lead to infections, something that wouldn't happen with
real bone.

2) CT Bone can lead to resorption of underlying bone, which wouldn't
happen with real bone.

3) If CT Bone is damaged you need a regrafting, again something that wouldn't
happen with real live bone since it would just heal on its own.

4) CT Bone doesn't "turn" into the patients own bone there is just some slight
evidence of bony union here.

And this lab test is from 2016. So the technology just isn't there and teh claims you're
implying about your product are misleading it seems to me.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S235232041630013X

ppsk

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 08:17:20 AM »
Lazlo

infection is possible with ANY surgery, even if you were to use your own bone as a graft. I don't think thats a realistic standard to hold against them, as it is a problem inherent with surgery itself.

The other points seem right. Ive always thought a lot of this was a marketing hype job, as the core substance has been around forever, the only new thing they are bringing to the table is 3d printing which allows for far more precise fits/manufacture and control of the porosity.

The major claim they need to prove is that it turns in, and integrates with real bone. If they cannot demonstrate this, then really its just a better version of medpor

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 08:21:16 AM »
Well listen I would be somewhat remiss if I didn't point out that there was a 25 percent risk of infection with this new CT Bone. Check it out 4 out of 20 patients.

Also they clearly claim right here there isn't sufficient bone remodelling by claiming the following in their conclusion. It's a hype job. Best to stay with your own bone bros.

Conclusions

The CT-bone showed maintenance of the original shape and good bone replacement, based on the middle- and long-term follow-ups. In the future, we would make an intelligent type of artificial bones in which bone regeneration is induced by gradually releasing angiogenesis-inducing factors and/or bone-regeneration-inducing factors at the three-dimensionally controlled positions.

ppsk

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 08:23:54 AM »
a major point of concern in the literature:
"In one case (Case 3), there was an accident in which a handle of an umbrella significantly hit the mental region due to a strong wind at 1 month postoperatively, causing damage to the CT-bone engrafted in the region. For this reason, the patient underwent re-graft of a CT-bone under local anesthesia at 1 month postoperatively with no subsequent problem. "

Remember what one of the big plastic surgeons said when asked about this potential new development?

He said something to the effect of he suspects the material would be incredibly brittle. Sounds like he was right. I mean how possibly hard do you think an umbrella handle hits you in the face from strong winds?