Author Topic: Dr Defrancq  (Read 7559 times)

ITALIA

Re: Dr Defrancq
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 01:51:44 PM »
Sorry if this comes across as stupid, but how can you have a relapse if you have plates in place? Doesn't this keep everything in place??
Also, money wise what are we talking about with this particular surgeon??

UKMaxfac

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 04:27:32 PM »
Sorry if this comes across as stupid, but how can you have a relapse if you have plates in place? Doesn't this keep everything in place??
Also, money wise what are we talking about with this particular surgeon??

It seems like a sensible question to me. I have no idea why: -
1. People with good bites need braces, at all, at any point before or after surgery, you move the thing that houses the teeth, not the teeth themselves during the OP.
2. Why relapse happens if there is bone used in downgrafting combined with plates and screws.

rolo2000

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »
Bumping thread. Has anyone actually had surgery with him? I can't find any actual reviews from patients post op. I'm looking for a surgeon to do revision on jaw. if you want details about which surgeons to AVOID i can tell you more depth in private.

Was considering Dr M due to cost being cheap but after all the negative reviews  can't go ahead with it. Now is a toss up between Defrancq and Raffaini.

CCW

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
Bumping thread. Has anyone actually had surgery with him? I can't find any actual reviews from patients post op. I'm looking for a surgeon to do revision on jaw. if you want details about which surgeons to AVOID i can tell you more depth in private.

Was considering Dr M due to cost being cheap but after all the negative reviews  can't go ahead with it. Now is a toss up between Defrancq and Raffaini.
I don't like Defrancq and here are three examples why. He doesn't do CCW and uses a posterior impaction to close an open bite. This makes the OP steeper, puts more strain on the joints, doesn't fix the airway, or the face. He then does a huge ugly genio to camouflage the recession, which would be unnecessary if he did CCW. If you don't routinely do CCW when it's indicated, you're not a good surgeon in my opinion. I wouldn't have surgery with him.
I'd go with Raffaini.

UKMaxfac

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 03:37:59 AM »

I dont know really. I've heard bad things about so many surgeons nowadays it seems like Russian roulette going with any of them.
What I liked about Defrancq consultation:
- His staff were very nice and professional with a great amount of attention to detail
- I got 3d scans of my skull with simulation of the intended result post-op - it was pretty detailed and was the first proper imagery I could use to form an impression of whether getting surgery was worth it. I am very glad I did this.
- Many of his results are very subtle - which is exactly what I want. Though people have said bad things about the results, I'd say considering the amount on his website, many of them are stellar - I've compared them to other surgeons and the only other surgeon whose results ive seen which are life changing are Woolford.
- For my particular deformity, he has great results. If I had a weak chin / or just needed a bsso or whatever or had a long face, I'd probably go with someone else, but for maxillary downgrafting he seems to be good.
- He is very good at responding to emails very promptly and with good detail. 

What I didn't like:
- When I met him in London it was quite unprofessional - the room wasnt available in the hotel where he consults so he had to look at my teeth etc in the hallway!
- Expensive to get the scans done etc (though this price is detracted from the final surgery cost)
- He maintains (I pushed him on this repeatedly) that there will be practically no relapse in my case and that the recovery is much shorter than all other surgeons have said to me (I don't believe him)
- His English is lacking.

So it's a mixed bag.

UKMaxfac

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 11:50:13 AM »
How do surgeons gauge if you are at risk of relapse?

I dunno. They just tend to say maxillary downgraft is the least stable procedure, god knows why if its held in place with plates, screws and bone grafts.

He was referring to downgrafts generally, not to me specifically. A skull is a skull at the end of the day, they arent that different.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »
How much of a downgraft did he recommend for you , if you do not mind sharing?

UKMaxfac

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 01:23:48 PM »
How much of a downgraft did he recommend for you , if you do not mind sharing?

nearly 7mm in the front

Milli_Meters

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 01:24:31 PM »
Thank you very much. I have seen some stellar downgraft results by him on males. Wish you the same.

UKMaxfac

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 01:43:30 PM »
Thank you very much. I have seen some stellar downgraft results by him on males. Wish you the same.

thanks. Hopefully it will change my life, but thats not guaranteed by any means.