Author Topic: What can be done for small lower jaw  (Read 2026 times)

Kymom806

What can be done for small lower jaw
« on: April 16, 2018, 09:06:22 AM »
What can be done to help with small lower jaw?  I’ve been through two rounds of orthodontic treatment and several extractions. I think I should’ve had palate expanders but it wasn’t suggested at the time. I know my palate is unusually small, it’s difficult to keep my tongue on the palate because there’s not enough room. I hate my receding chin and having to always obsess about keeping my mouth closed. It does not come naturally, it’s always an effort to keep the lips together. What type of treatment could help?  I’m trying to figure out how to add photos.

haven

• Private
Re: What can be done for small lower jaw
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:11:18 AM »
Try using an image hosting website like imgur.com

How many teeth have they extracted?

Kymom806

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »

Kymom806

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
Four extractions plus wisdom teeth removal.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »
What can be done to help with small lower jaw?  I’ve been through two rounds of orthodontic treatment and several extractions. I think I should’ve had palate expanders but it wasn’t suggested at the time. I know my palate is unusually small, it’s difficult to keep my tongue on the palate because there’s not enough room. I hate my receding chin and having to always obsess about keeping my mouth closed. It does not come naturally, it’s always an effort to keep the lips together. What type of treatment could help?  I’m trying to figure out how to add photos.

You poor thing. I've had the exact same misfortune. You should def. had palate expansion and no extractions. These bastard orthos do that cause its easier for them than palate expansion which requires working more closely with a surgeon and monitoring you which means more time away from churning out patients.

You can go the route of having the spaces re-opened, expansion done. ortho again, and bi-max surgery. Otherwise there's not really a lot that can be done currently with the technology we have right now.

haven

• Private
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:59:57 AM »
You should see some maxillofacial surgeons to get some opinions. Outside of expanders (which I know nothing about, sorry) you could look into surgery for both jaws. Like Lazlo said. That would extend your jaws and help with your tongue. Have you been tested for sleep apnea?

IMO I see nothing wrong with your chin (but that's my opinion).

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 12:15:58 PM »
I see the recession but still think you look OK/fine. There are plenty of people walking around with similar type recession . If you wanted to address it, it would most likely involve being in braces for a year or so to prepare for double jaw and chin advancement surgery. Although it looks like 'just the lower jaw', sometimes they do have to move the upper jaw inorder to advance the lower jaw and sometimes that can be an unwanted 'trade-off' for someone who likes where their upper jaw is. You would need a maxfax work up with x rays and measurements if you wanted to know if only the lower jaw could be moved.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.