Author Topic: Didn't think I would restart this thread, I do need some help on a subject.  (Read 619 times)

Insomnia

I know I posted one topic before, but I had it closed because I thought I'd found the answers. However, I'll explain it again shortly and hope someone can help me out here:
I'm getting my teeth fixed again (i.e. straightened). The orthodontist is going to put an ALF system in my mouth. Now I did read that in some people it can affect facial bones such as the maxilla and the palate (but mostly in a positive way). Could anyone take a look at my jaw, and (if neccesary) I'll discuss anything with my orthodontics as I don't want to screw up anything. I thought I post this because I always wanna do my research well before I continue and get my braces/expander.

Greetings,

Ins
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:03:50 PM by Insomnia »

Lefortitude

Ive also read that jaw expansion via ALF causes facial changes in adults.  All these publishings are based on case studies via novel techniques, which many orthos and dentists have seen to work.  it often takes time for novel techniques to catch on to the main stream.  However, even the results i have seen, are fairly minor, and almost unnoticeable.  if your goal is to fix your teeth, the ortho rout will usually work unless you have a skeletal deficiency. 

ExtractionsRuinFaces

I had it and it did not change much, my jaws are in the same position which can be confirmed by cephalograms I had done before and after. You're better off spending your money on something like a sliding genio (I paid £4500 for ALF, I assume you'll be paying something similar)

Insomnia

Ive also read that jaw expansion via ALF causes facial changes in adults.  All these publishings are based on case studies via novel techniques, which many orthos and dentists have seen to work.  it often takes time for novel techniques to catch on to the main stream.  However, even the results i have seen, are fairly minor, and almost unnoticeable.  if your goal is to fix your teeth, the ortho rout will usually work unless you have a skeletal deficiency.

Thank you, seems like I don't need to worry about much then :)

Insomnia

I had it and it did not change much, my jaws are in the same position which can be confirmed by cephalograms I had done before and after. You're better off spending your money on something like a sliding genio (I paid £4500 for ALF, I assume you'll be paying something similar)

That's right, I'll be paying around 3000 euros for the complete treatment (which would take 1.5-2.5 years approx). I'm really thankful for you guys responding. One thing I should clarify, is that I am actually satisfied as things are right now. However, I was worrying that the ALF would make things worse, that's why I posted the pic of my jaw (didn't know if u took a look at it). People told me I had a good jaw, again however I'd rather take it from a "jaw-expert".

Thanks again,

Ins