Author Topic: DAMAGED FACIAL NERVE and FACIAL ASSYMMETRY/SAGGING  (Read 5154 times)

Lazlo

• Private
DAMAGED FACIAL NERVE and FACIAL ASSYMMETRY/SAGGING
« on: March 18, 2017, 04:03:31 PM »
So I've noticed now having healed sufficiently the side of my mouth where the lip facial nerve is slightly damaged sags. If I relax my mouth it becomes VERY PRONOUNCED. Like I have Bell's Palsey which is also caused by an inflammation/damage to one side of the facial nerve. So it's very likely the same cause.

Apparently there are some surgeries/procedures for this such as electric stimulation. I'm wondering why those of us who have the same facial nerve problems aren't offered a similar treatment. It basically makes the point of cosmetic jaw surgery completely pointless if I'm now gonna look like a f**king facial trauma victim everytime I relax my face.

Here are some leads:  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130611204432.htm

Rico

Re: DAMAGED FACIAL NERVE and FACIAL ASSYMMETRY/SAGGING
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »
are you sure you have damaged motor nerves ? not only sensory one ?  as the facial nerve carries signals mostly to muscles in the face

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 05:18:50 PM »
are you sure you have damaged motor nerves ? not only sensory one ?  as the facial nerve carries signals mostly to muscles in the face

how the f**k would I know?

Rico

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
simple

if you can move your lips, close your eyelid, smile, then your facial nerve is OK

facial nerve (common name) has motor and sensory fibers. When it's damaged both group of nerve fibbers are affected, hence if you feel numbness, but your facial muscles works, then only a pour sensory branch of trigeminal nerve is damaged

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 06:23:54 PM »
simple

if you can move your lips, close your eyelid, smile, then your facial nerve is OK

facial nerve (common name) has motor and sensory fibers. When it's damaged both group of nerve fibbers are affected, hence if you feel numbness, but your facial muscles works, then only a pour sensory branch of trigeminal nerve is damaged

because I can't feel parts of the moving face movement is indeed impaired slightly. Also it's tough to do certain things like suck in my cheeks and stuff as it was before surgery.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 08:31:14 PM »
I'm not a doctor, but I doubt your lower lip's appearance has anything to do with nerve damage (which I agree sucks majorly). Genioplasty messes with the chin muscles.  This could be the cause.  Any asymmetry from the genioplasty, BSSO may also contribute.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
I'm not a doctor, but I doubt your lower lip's appearance has anything to do with nerve damage (which I agree sucks majorly). Genioplasty messes with the chin muscles.  This could be the cause.  Any asymmetry from the genioplasty, BSSO may also contribute.

yeah there's definitely a part of this problem that is attributable to the genioplasty. So f**k with the whole chin wing thing that's for sure. Plus I realize doctors will tell you what you want to hear. There was no way I'd get a squared of chin since my anatomy isn't that shape. Even though the surgeon said he'd "square off my chin"" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHLOLOLOLOL BULLs**t. It's still curved and pointy. Actually worse.

Rico

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 01:11:05 AM »
so it looks like I have to finish my startup project
to be very rich 1 mln Eur per week

to repair my issue

and become Don Carleone of medicine.
Any surgeon who makes premeditated problems and even doesn't try to help he lose his  finger ...accidently

;)  you have to wait a few months
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:46:19 AM by Rico »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 01:25:04 AM »
yeah there's definitely a part of this problem that is attributable to the genioplasty. So f**k with the whole chin wing thing that's for sure. Plus I realize doctors will tell you what you want to hear. There was no way I'd get a squared of chin since my anatomy isn't that shape. Even though the surgeon said he'd "square off my chin"" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHLOLOLOLOL BULLs**t. It's still curved and pointy. Actually worse.
I seriously considered an LF3 with Sinn, but the more I hear about your case the more disappointed I am in him. If it's any consolation (and I know it's not), 90% of surgeons would have done the same surgery.  I really thought better of him.  Your case was not trivial - extractions, steep occlusal plane, no gummy smile.  It clearly called for a CCW with a posterior down graft.  And strictly IMO genioplasty should be avoided whenever possible because it messes with the muscles, the lower lip.  Money is one thing, but wasting someone's time and health (the nerves are never the same) is quite another.  It's not a goddamn hair cut.

Man, I feel so much for you.  If I were rich, instead of getting a f**king Ferrari, I would pay for your revision.
I really feel for you

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 01:26:03 AM »
so it looks like I have to finish my startup project
to be very rich 1 mln Eur per week

to repair my issue

and become Don Carleone of medicine.
Any surgeon who makes premeditated problems and even doesn't try to help then he lose his  finger ...accidently

;)  you have to wait a few months
Godspeed.

Rico

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 01:45:25 AM »
right after I wrote that my laptop reseted itself....seriously ;)

God does not like competition ;)

usedtobepretty

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 02:26:00 AM »
I do have facial nerve damage after bimax (motor nerve 7th) confirmed by neirologist.
My surgeon says he doesnt know how this happened and he is sure he didnt cut the nerve nor did he touch it. (Its eye and mouth branch but only mouth visible). They all say I ned to wait up to one year to see if function returns. EMG is simple test which can confirm motor nerve damage.

Rico

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 05:27:45 AM »
he does not know how it happened. ha ha ha.  those surgeons asnswers..

he just did too much manipulation - the nerve was stretched

if affected nerve is not cut you will get first improvement within 3 months.. if no, then the nerve has been severely damaged / cut
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:51:54 AM by Rico »

Lestat

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 12:28:52 PM »
Surgeons typical answer if something went wrong: "Each patient is different!" :-X

Rico

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
Surgeons typical answer if something went wrong: "Each patient is different!" :-X

"I didn't touch your nerve"  ;)

or like in my case.
The surgeon moved the zygomatic bone together with masseter muscle (it's connected to the jaw - important) too much
then he said "I didn't touch your jaw!" ;)