Author Topic: Asymmetry (how to overcome this?)  (Read 1058 times)

Eugae93

Asymmetry (how to overcome this?)
« on: March 21, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
I already made a post about my situation, but I'd like to post the picture here to spot the deviation of my midface.
It all started with an orthodontic tratment, after this, I started having health issues (TMJ problems)and my look changed: my left midface/zygoma is badly recessed compared to the right one.
Here is the pic with the comparison of two sides.. you'll see the bad side completely lack of eye support + have tmj pains:

http://imgur.com/a/Mfbfk
http://imgur.com/a/aV8t7

Please suggest me how shall I treat this.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:46:11 AM by Eugae93 »

David_D

• Private
Re: Asymmetry (how to overcome this?)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »
It would be much easier for me to assess asymmetry by having a frontal view photo.

Eugae93

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 03:54:30 AM »
I could post it, I just thought the side views are better cause it's more spotted.. it's actually not spotted in the front view pics. And I guess it's because this is not an horizontal problem but a projection problem, the left part is just more recessed (it hurts and the jaw clicks! cause it's like crashed back compared to the other) so there is lack of projection.. in the frontal pics it is not spotted for real.

I post this pic with a different perspective from the bottom.. you can see now how the situation is tilted in zygoma/Jaw/midface in general... if you observe you'll see kind of a rotation in the jaw for example:
http://imgur.com/a/Zoa8t

basically the low/medium part of the face watches to the left and the superior part of the face (eyes/temples/forehead/skull) watches to the other part ahahahahah (and that's what has been told me by an neurocranial restructuring practitioner).

Eugae93

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 04:24:32 AM »
jawjawbinks, this asymmetry does have effects cause gave me multples tmj problems no jokes. I know this this the esthetic session of the forum but it really does exist a correlation between the estethic issue and the functional issue, cause indeed I hate the way my left side looks in 3rd angles, and all the functional problems are in the left part of my cranium/jaw/face every of it: headhaches, ear haches, view problems (left eye), jaw clicks (left part), jaw pain (left) can't close properly the left part of the dental arch (even if I press very hard it doesn't close) everything is in the left part. I can't open my mouth very much because of the jaw, and then for what concerns sleeping problems I don't have proof of it but I just know that I stopped sleeping in the ending part of the orthodontic treatment and I regained my still trubled sleep gradually ditching my retainer for some time.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:34:56 AM by Eugae93 »

april

• Private
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »
I get what you're referring to. I can see it in the bottom perspective.  I had the same thing happen after orthodontic treatment but I would say mine is more noticable. I also developed painful TMJs after ortho (arthritis in both joints, both disks anteriorly displaced and perforated). But despite both sides being affected the asymmetry particulary on the 3/4 angle remains - if I only had TMJ problems on just one side than I would understand.

It could be muscular atrophy on one side from less use, or your other side has been doing double the work and it's bulked out, or it could be fat atrophy, or somehow a skeletal discrepancy has been unveiled in some way (I don't know). Have you had a MRI, Cone Beam or a frontal ceph?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:22:20 AM by april »