Author Topic: Chin wing or Genio?  (Read 961 times)

dusselgurr

Chin wing or Genio?
« on: April 05, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
When you got good jaw angles but slightly asymmetric ramus lenghts, would a genio or a chin wing better?

I am worried that the chin wing messes up my good jaw width and makes them "softer".

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
Re: Chin wing or Genio?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 09:28:10 AM »
This is a good question.  Many people talk about the complications from a Genio, do those same complications occur from a chin-wing?  If there is less chance of nerve damage from a chin-wing and a chin-wing gives aesthetic advancement all around the mandible, why not just get a chin wing?  Does a chin-wing advance the tongue like a genio does for sleep apnea?
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

Freeways

Re: Chin wing or Genio?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:35:02 AM »
If you already have good jaw angles and need forward (anterior) movement of the chin, I think sliding genioplasty is better. Chin wing will give you a steeper gonial angle when the mandible is moved forward. Genioplasty could give you step-offs and make your chin a bit pointy though.

It depends on what you prefer, but chin wing with forward movement is risky if you are concerned about angularity.