Author Topic: negative effects of jaw surgery on facial aesthethics  (Read 1091 times)

johndoe

negative effects of jaw surgery on facial aesthethics
« on: April 27, 2017, 08:33:32 AM »
I am interested in undergoing jaw surgery with a goal in mind to improve my facial aesthethics (i'm class2, div2). However, based on this forum, jaw surgery not only it might not notably improve appearance of one's face, but it may actually worsen it. So to avoid any unfavourable results and to justify JS on first place, I'd like to hear your opinions about potential pitfalls, as mentioned below:

-If one has weak midface (weak rims, weak cheekbones along with weak both jaws) and if the goal is to add some support for hollow eyes, bimax advancement not only it won't and can't add anything to eye area, but instead it would further degrade it. In addition, side profile would look hound-like.

- if one has longer midface, bimax advancement would (visually) elongate it

- if one has longer philtrum, bimax advancement would (visually) elongate it

- CCW would flare front teeth

- both CCW and bimax would bend (upturn) already straight nose. A rhino might be required afterwards

- both CCW and bimax would flare nose notrils. A rhino might be required afterwards.

- bimax would worsen hollow cheeks and cause those "chipmunk cheeks" to occur

- impaction would widen nasal base

What's your opinion?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:18:56 AM by johndoe »

Lefortitude

Re: negative effects of jaw surgery on facial aesthethics
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »
If the case is diagnosed and treated with the correct jaw surgery plan, the results will LOOK good MOST of the time.  there is ALWAYS a risk of paresthesia. 

The important thing is you find a surgeon whose vision is in line with yours.  Ensure the surgical plan and suggested outcome fit your criteria.