Author Topic: Consultation with Dr. Triaca (Chin Wing)  (Read 5989 times)

ismic

Consultation with Dr. Triaca (Chin Wing)
« on: May 07, 2017, 08:10:06 AM »
Hi everyone,

I made a topic a couple of months ago, about my upcoming consultation with Dr. Triaca and promised I'd write about how it went down. But then I got caught up with work and didn't really get much time for myself in the last couple of months, had to put the surgery project on hold and forgot to tell you how that consultation went. But here it finally is!

Let's start with the most important informations first:
  • I was quoted 12k CHF for the chin wing, and on top of that you have to pay the anesthesiologist, which was around 4k.
  • The gap is filled with bone from you iliac crest. Triaca insisted that your own bone was the best filler material. Also, the "hole" in your hip grows back in less than 6 months.
  • An interesting thing he said: the chin wing seems an obvious solution to a multitude of aesthetic problems, it's a wonder nobody thought of it before him; but the procedure wasn't really possible before the advent of 3d scanning technology.

And then, for those interested, some other thought and remarks in no particular order. For context, my problem is a very weak lower jaw. And the procedures I had in mind were either bite the bullet and get a bimax, or just get a chin wing and get it over with (before that I was seriously thinking about implants, thank god I didn't fall for this). So I went to Triaca and told him what I wanted (jaw angles down and out, chin forward), to which he answered "it's funny, everyone wants that!". Well duh, nobody wants a recessed chin...

Anyway, so I got a 3D scan taken by a nurse, and photos from all sides by the doctor himself. He then fired up Photoshop (not in front of me) and came back with 2 printed-out morphs of my face (side view only). Both were identical except for one detail which took me quite some time to find (since I wasn't looking in the right place) and almost slightly offended me: he gave me a nose job! I told him I wasn't interested, but with hindsight it might not be such a bad idea. And it might thwart off all people asking "you changed! did you get surgery?", since a nose job is much more acceptable than jaw surgery...

I tried to ask him if a bimax would be more appropriate, but he was quick to dismiss it. "Bimax is a heavy procedure, plus it will give you a monkey face, not worth it". He was all for the chin wing, as if it was a miracle. I tried asking him how much advancement is possible, how much width can be gained, and so on, but he just said "Anything is possible! That's what's so great with it!". But I'm sure if I go back with my own morphs he'll change his mind.

Overall Triaca seems like a competent surgeon obviously, but I didn't really like his personality, and I was quickly show the door. Towards the end I felt he was getting annoyed by my questions and said something along the lines of "Why don't you think about it for a while, and when you're ready, we'll discuss it in more detail?".

So that's about it for my consultation with Triaca. I'm sure I forgot a lot of things, but that's what I get for doing this so late...

Originally, I planned on going to Dr. Z to get a second opinion, but part of me wants to get it over with as quickly as possible, and since I live in Switzerland Triaca is very easy for me (2h train ride). How expensive is Dr. Z? Maybe if he's cheap enough I'll reconsider. Also how do you contact him? If you write him an e-mail, can you hope to get an answer? Or is calling him a safer bet?

Vic

Re: Consultation with Dr. Triaca (Chin Wing)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:39:41 AM »
I saw Dr Z this week, he showed me another version of the side wing which gives the width to the jaw that everyone is looking for. The person that had it done had really bad asymmetry on one side of her face and it looked like she literally had no jaw as it was just flat on one side. The surgery balanced both sides out amazingly, it must have added about 2cm of width to the one side

ditterbo

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:30:24 AM »
Your recollection of Dr. T's appointment turned on alarm bells in my head like he's overselling and just trying to get you to have surgery.  My revision chin implant I was promised everything I was concerned about would be better, but I'm not much better off at all aside from a minor aesthetic bump (which wasn't the point of the surgery).   

Really appreciate you recounting your story on this forum though.  I'd suggest you take the pricing down and just answer that question over PM so Triaca doesn't raise his prices.

Lestat

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:59:31 AM »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 01:39:24 PM »
I got exactly the same vibes from him, albeit over the phone. Chin wing the cure all. "Malocclusion?" - chin wing! "Sleep apnea?" - chin wing. "Depressed?" - chin wing! "Got the flu?" - chin wing! Chin wings for everybody!  (OK, I'm being facetious, but he was pimping them bad). And you know even if Brad Pitt walked into his office, I have no doubt he would offer one without hesitation. The funny thing is my jaw line is not bad, but my shiitty lf1 left my face out of balance, so I didn't know what to do. He sent me a bizarre morph where the mandible was dropped in profile. Honestly I thought it looked weird and actually worse and just rounded.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 02:07:38 PM »
I got exactly the same vibes from him, albeit over the phone. Chin wing the cure all. "Malocclusion?" - chin wing! "Sleep apnea?" - chin wing. "Depressed?" - chin wing! "Got the flu?" - chin wing! Chin wings for everybody!  (OK, I'm being facetious, but he was pimping them bad). And you know even if Brad Pitt walked into his office, I have no doubt he would offer one without hesitation. The funny thing is my jaw line is not bad, but my shiitty lf1 left my face out of balance, so I didn't know what to do. He sent me a bizarre morph where the mandible was dropped in profile. Honestly I thought it looked weird and actually worse and just rounded.

Lol at the first 2 lines. ;D

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 02:56:11 PM »

Sorry we're talking about Triaca here or Dr. Z?

Milli_Meters

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 03:58:15 PM »
Sorry we're talking about Triaca here or Dr. Z?

Triaca.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 04:09:25 PM »
Lol at the first 2 lines. ;D
I'm taking literary licence... But it felt like he had the world's greatest hammer and everything is a nail. But hey, at least he likes his job. I suspect that most surgeons are in it purely for the money. But then again the guy who did my lame surgery was also "passionate".
Anyway, whatever their motivation - ego, money, one thing is for certain: THEY ARE ALL PSYCHOPATHS.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 04:26:16 PM »
Ya I legit lol'd though. I could imagine his patronizing accented voice pitching CW for all those maladies. You just missed "male enhancement".  ;D

He just seems super proud of CW and maybe views it as a "safe" procedure that everyone can use. Someone I know has legit bimax issues and he actually gave pretty good advice regarding that.

Regarding surgeons being psychopaths , idk , maybe some are bona fide nuts for most part I think it is just the way incentives are aligned.

Millis

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 07:19:26 PM »
4k anaesthesiologist? Is this the same for all surgeons around the world? Eg. Mommaerts costs apparently 4k for just the chin wing alone, but it's actually 8k total?

Milli_Meters

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 07:49:33 PM »
4k anaesthesiologist? Is this the same for all surgeons around the world? Eg. Mommaerts costs apparently 4k for just the chin wing alone, but it's actually 8k total?

No.

ismic

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 10:50:15 PM »

Yeah about this: I told him that I am a heavy snorer, maybe I even have sleep apnea, and asked if a bimax might not be a better choice. He answered that moving the bone forward will move some soft tissue with it, and might bring some improvements in that regard.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 11:16:14 PM »
Yeah about this: I told him that I am a heavy snorer, maybe I even have sleep apnea, and asked if a bimax might not be a better choice. He answered that moving the bone forward will move some soft tissue with it, and might bring some improvements in that regard.

That's such a bulls**t answer. The only way for the sleep apnea to be helped is with a CCW bimax where the airway is expanded.

Lefortitude

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
That's such a bulls**t answer. The only way for the sleep apnea to be helped is with a CCW bimax where the airway is expanded.

Actually there have been some studies that show it to be true.  obviously its not the correct treatment for bad OSA but if its something like "i cant sleep on my back so I roll on my side to breath better"  it may work.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4339332/

"We evaluated 10 subjects (4 males, 6 females) who underwent wing mandibular osteotomy. The mean age of the subjects was 37.8 ± 7.26 years. Analysis of the data demonstrated a significant change in ESS and AHI 1 year after operation. However, PAS was not changed 1 year after surgery. Results did not show any correlation between age, ESS and AHI before and 1 year after surgery."

so it might be worth noting that he wasnt just talking out of his ass.  however, if you have severe OSA, id recommend the bimax.