Author Topic: jaw surgery and orthodontics  (Read 806 times)

jawpocalipse

jaw surgery and orthodontics
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »
hello guys,

I'm quite unsure whether I'd like to have jaw surgery or not in order to improve my facial aesthethics and fix classii bite. Regardless of undergoing surgery or not, I definately need to get some orthodontic work done as my dental situation is a big mess with overcrowded teeth, crossbite, overjet and a narrow smile.

My question would be, is it possible to tailor some kind of "universal" orthodontics treatment, so in case that I would finally decide to undergo jaw surgery, I could quickly jump into it without the need to undergo specific pre-surgery orthodontics and lose time?

Also, indicated jaw surgery differs from doc to doc, and it's between CCW, bimax and also unrealistic option of modlf3 (maxila+infraorbital rims-cheekbones).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:21:42 AM by jawpocalipse »

CCW

Re: jaw surgery and orthodontics
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »
No, presurgical ortho work is totally different from normal orthodontics, and the surgeon should be instructing the ortho. In my opinion, you need CCW bimax.

jawpocalipse

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:18:29 AM »
No, presurgical ortho work is totally different from normal orthodontics, and the surgeon should be instructing the ortho. In my opinion, you need CCW bimax.

Now, that's bad news.

Otherwise, I'm a bit concerned about bimax giving me a chimp profile due to weak midface.

What about impaction? How much sense does it make in my case (I have some of gummy smile, so I guess there is some margin I could work with)?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:52:17 AM by jawpocalipse »

CCW

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:49:44 AM »
Chimp lip happens when a steep occlusal plane patient gets a big straight advancement. It shouldn't be a concern with CCW. Which surgeons have you consulted with?