Author Topic: DAMAGED FACIAL NERVE and FACIAL ASSYMMETRY/SAGGING  (Read 5148 times)

usedtobepretty

Re: DAMAGED FACIAL NERVE and FACIAL ASSYMMETRY/SAGGING
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »
he does not know how it happened. ha ha ha.  those surgeons asnswers..

he just did too much manipulation - the nerve was stretched

if affected nerve is not cut you will get first improvement within 3 months.. if no, then the nerve has been severely damaged / cut

He also said i must have my left side somehow 'weaker' when told him I have new symptoms (tongue burning and lack of taste' and that with older patients (im 35) anything can happen.
What do you mean I should get improvement within 3 months? Im now month 4 and I dont see it improving ... my surgeon says it takes 6-12 months.. and of course 'every patient is different'

swsee

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 06:59:49 PM »
FWIW my uncle had jaw surgery 20+ years ago and told me he had some numb spots on his chin that took upwards of 5 years to resolve. So I guess there's some hope.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 07:23:31 PM »
FWIW my uncle had jaw surgery 20+ years ago and told me he had some numb spots on his chin that took upwards of 5 years to resolve. So I guess there's some hope.

You give us HOPE

Wow 20+ years ago. Has he had any relapse? If not , you will give us further HOPE.  ;)

PloskoPlus

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 07:53:37 PM »
He probably just stopped noticing them.

usedtobepretty

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 12:24:54 AM »
2 things are mixed here Im afraid. Different nerves are responsible for numbness and different for face movement. My dad took 3 years to regain feeling after hand operation. With facial nerve as far as I know - 6 months no improvement is very bad sign, 1 year is end of treatment/restoration (basically no chance for recovery)

usedtobepretty

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 12:26:02 AM »
he does not know how it happened. ha ha ha.  those surgeons asnswers..

he just did too much manipulation - the nerve was stretched

if affected nerve is not cut you will get first improvement within 3 months.. if no, then the nerve has been severely damaged / cut

Is there anything I can do/say to make him tell me what is going on?

usedtobepretty

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 12:50:09 PM »
For those who may suffer from facial nerve damage (motor functions) Id like to report my 4 mo post op EMG shows improvement (nerve regenerating) still a long way to go but its hopeful. So I suggest doing EMG at 3-4 weeks post op and then repeating after min 3 months, if theres no improvement or responses are weaker - then odds are the nerve was cut or severed badly. My neurologist explained it could have been to much manipulation or long surgery with retractors pressing on a nerve. She mentioned surgeons dont really care to much whereas they should release them from time to time and let the blood flow. Facial nerve damage is no fun I tell you.. aside from facial muscle weakness which is extremely distressing, It affected my tongue (burning lack of taste etc) healing is extremely slow and seriously lowering life comfort. I know these cases are rare but they do happen. sth to keep in mind for those pre surgery.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 02:33:30 AM »
For those who may suffer from facial nerve damage (motor functions) Id like to report my 4 mo post op EMG shows improvement (nerve regenerating) still a long way to go but its hopeful. So I suggest doing EMG at 3-4 weeks post op and then repeating after min 3 months, if theres no improvement or responses are weaker - then odds are the nerve was cut or severed badly. My neurologist explained it could have been to much manipulation or long surgery with retractors pressing on a nerve. She mentioned surgeons dont really care to much whereas they should release them from time to time and let the blood flow. Facial nerve damage is no fun I tell you.. aside from facial muscle weakness which is extremely distressing, It affected my tongue (burning lack of taste etc) healing is extremely slow and seriously lowering life comfort. I know these cases are rare but they do happen. sth to keep in mind for those pre surgery.
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have permanent paraesthesia and I curse my surgeon every day, but what I have is nothing compared to what you have. Paresthesia is usually listed in the consent form - nothing can be done about that. But what you have is terrible. I don't think it's even in the consent form that you signed. It's sheer negligence and I think you have grounds to sue your surgeon.

usedtobepretty

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 06:03:13 AM »
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have permanent paraesthesia and I curse my surgeon every day, but what I have is nothing compared to what you have. Paresthesia is usually listed in the consent form - nothing can be done about that. But what you have is terrible. I don't think it's even in the consent form that you signed. It's sheer negligence and I think you have grounds to sue your surgeon.

You are correct. I remember asking my surgeon 'what is the worst thing that can happen' - he said severing/cutting the nerve / permanent numbness to chin and lips - I asked - will this compromise movements - he said 'NO'.
So I was not informed nor prepared for this nightmare.
I know I have grounds but my surgeon acts as if nithing happened and saying to be patient. He also refuses to acknowledge bad esthetic result saying its the matter of 'taste' .
I really dont feel emotionally strong to sue anyone at the moment although I must admit his attitude is starting to piss me off.
Ive been consulting online w some surgeons and I am scheduled for couple consults.
Thank you for your sympathy.

usedtobepretty

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 06:17:20 AM »
I feel sorry for OP - after all the extensive research he ends with problems and possibly with a minor aesthethic improvement, despite the fact that he undergone a textbook procedure (bimax advancement) with one of the most respected surgeons.

Is this the last call for "f*ck jaw surgery, unless one is clearly deformed and young"? And good luck to all the guys who are willing to do lf3...

After my experience Id say - yes. Jaw surgery only w functional issues or if you are really deformed. I mean if you look good, if you have a good life - dont do it.
I was running a business had a great social life and wanted to improve my looks / fix what orthodoncy/extractions ruined. Even if the esthetic result was achieved - id still be regretting this surgery.
As a result i have sum numbness (it sounded ok b4 surgery but in reality it does lower life comfort significantly imo)
motor nerve damage (rare but happens) lack of taste (horrific), pain, difficulty eating and Now I cannot look into mirror. I dont work (now my speaking is significantly better but it was also compromised for quite some time) cause facial paralyse is really super stressful. My bite is now also far from perfect which wasnt the case pre op.
There are examples of great outcomes for sure but after I had unsuccesfull surgery and digged deeper , consulted my issues w many doctors - Im under the impression that complications and problems are far more common than my pre- surgery research would suggest.
This surgery is for sure the biggest regret of my life.
I probably will need revision so Ill be updating here. Cheers and thanks for support.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 07:23:47 AM »
I had some nerve damage after my chin lipo, I couldn't smile or laugh properly and one side of my mouth would freeze mid-sentence

It was greatly improved by 3 months and by 6 months was OK. Have you seen any improvement at all since the surgery?

Not much comfort, but in 10 years time regenerative medicine will be so much better wrt healing nerves.

Lestat

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 09:29:52 AM »
Not much comfort, but in 10 years time regenerative medicine will be so much better wrt healing nerves.

What makes you so confident? How can you know that?!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:18:03 AM by Lestat »

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 12:05:24 PM »
What makes you so confident? How can you know that?!

Lols. It's called science. It's called progress. I'm so confident because I've seen the research. We're already far closer than we were 5 years ago, 5 years ago we were closer than 10 years ago.

14 years ago I was sitting in a research lab trying to grow olfactory ensheathing cells that had been transplanted into mouse brains.  The fact that they put out processes was considered extremely exciting at the time, and the research is SO much further than this now. We know so much more about growing nerves.

I'm not saying it will be perfect and we'll be able to regrow nerves willy nilly. I'm just saying it will be much better

Science news also makes a nice reading break from political news

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 09:07:17 AM »
So I've noticed now having healed sufficiently the side of my mouth where the lip facial nerve is slightly damaged sags. If I relax my mouth it becomes VERY PRONOUNCED. Like I have Bell's Palsey which is also caused by an inflammation/damage to one side of the facial nerve. So it's very likely the same cause.

Apparently there are some surgeries/procedures for this such as electric stimulation. I'm wondering why those of us who have the same facial nerve problems aren't offered a similar treatment. It basically makes the point of cosmetic jaw surgery completely pointless if I'm now gonna look like a f**king facial trauma victim everytime I relax my face.

Here are some leads:  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130611204432.htm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Those are some good results on that Bells Palsy case. 
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »
I had some nerve damage after my chin lipo, I couldn't smile or laugh properly and one side of my mouth would freeze mid-sentence

It was greatly improved by 3 months and by 6 months was OK. Have you seen any improvement at all since the surgery?

Damn sorry to hear that!! I had neck lipo and I had some pins & needles for a week or so which actually felt kinda cool when I shaved (yes Im a weirdo) and then full sensation returned.  If you ask me, neck/chin lipo was really a piece of cake.
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(