Author Topic: What actually makes a male face good looking?  (Read 9814 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: What actually makes a male face good looking?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2018, 12:51:04 PM »
For the perfectionists I wonder why the emphasis on rhinos though? Often, the issues are more than just noses for all things considered.

Well, if the REST OF THE face is a big part of the problem and if the person thinks the whole problem is just the nose, a rhino won't give much satisfaction either to the possessor of the face or the onlookers of it because the decision to get it resolved to not noticing the rest of the face was mostly the problem. They might just look in the mirror after getting a rhino, for example after a request was fulfilled by a PS to give the same/similar nose as a celeb, and find in no way to they look like the celeb. Ultimately the expectation was if they got a PART of the face that looked like 'what a celeb has', they should 'therefore' look like the celeb. It's a FALSE expectation given the WHOLE of the celeb (or model's) face, the whole attractiveness of it is NOT solely attributable to ONE part; the nose. But rather the balance of the rest of their face where the nose they have fits into the whole GESTALT balance.

A good 'do it yourself' diagnostic to tell if the nose is the MAJOR problem to the face as in DETRACTS from the rest of the face is to simply COVER the nose with your hand in profile and frontal views. If the rest of the face looks good with the nose covered up, then it's highly likely the nose is the AESTHETIC CULPRIT where it competes with appreciation of the attractiveness of the REST of the face.

Similar diagnostic can also be used for people who want 'cheek bones like a model'. Take a photo of the front face. BLACK OUT only the CHEEK bone area and see if the REST of the face is very close to looking like the model. Likewise with jaw.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2018, 06:46:01 PM »
Well, if the REST OF THE face is a big part of the problem and if the person thinks the whole problem is just the nose, a rhino won't give much satisfaction either to the possessor of the face or the onlookers of it because the decision to get it resolved to not noticing the rest of the face was mostly the problem. They might just look in the mirror after getting a rhino, for example after a request was fulfilled by a PS to give the same/similar nose as a celeb, and find in no way to they look like the celeb. Ultimately the expectation was if they got a PART of the face that looked like 'what a celeb has', they should 'therefore' look like the celeb. It's a FALSE expectation given the WHOLE of the celeb (or model's) face, the whole attractiveness of it is NOT solely attributable to ONE part; the nose. But rather the balance of the rest of their face where the nose they have fits into the whole GESTALT balance.

A good 'do it yourself' diagnostic to tell if the nose is the MAJOR problem to the face as in DETRACTS from the rest of the face is to simply COVER the nose with your hand in profile and frontal views. If the rest of the face looks good with the nose covered up, then it's highly likely the nose is the AESTHETIC CULPRIT where it competes with appreciation of the attractiveness of the REST of the face.

Similar diagnostic can also be used for people who want 'cheek bones like a model'. Take a photo of the front face. BLACK OUT only the CHEEK bone area and see if the REST of the face is very close to looking like the model. Likewise with jaw.

I guess most people also probably do the same with mandibles. Don't they?

Yeah I see what you mean, though. Sadly my nose isn't the only problem haha.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 07:10:47 PM »
I guess most people also probably do the same with mandibles. Don't they?

Yeah I see what you mean, though. Sadly my nose isn't the only problem haha.

Quite often they do. Tons of dummies on RS putting up photos of models and asking if they can have a jaw like that and being clueless about their not having anything near the rest of the model's face. Then come the doctors who 'answer' with out telling them like it is. I'll work on an example later down the line.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 08:44:56 PM »
Social media means more photos of your face online.  Alas, the nose has a huge (pardon the pun) effect on photogenicity.  Smaller noses photograph better.  The trouble is that there is a limit to how much smaller the nose can be. Often the nose is too long and there is no way of changing that, yet surgeons still operate... and re-operate... and re-operate.  Width is more controllable, but even this has limits.  I wish I could find that photo of 3 identical triplets I once saw... which as often is the case, still had significant difference.  In their case, it was the nose - from average, to big, to big and bulbous.  The difference was mainly in the width and fleshiness.  The brother with the biggest nose looked the worst by far, yet I don't see how his nose could have been significantly narrowed.  Furthermore, the face is all about proportions.  Taking away something in one dimension makes the other dimension look bigger.  For example, all surgeons love to take down dorsal humps, because it's easy.  But if the nose is long to begin with, it will look even longer after the dorsal hump is gone.  Ditto if a big long nose is narrowed - it will look longer.  Furthermore, proper rhinoplasty is not about simple destruction and removal.  It's actually reconstruction - good surgeons will use a lot of cartilage grafts to reshape the nostrils, the tip.  I've heard that while this stuff looks alright in photos, IRL those grafts look glistening and fake.

tldr; just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done.  Most rhinoplasties are unnecessary and in the case of someone with a long nose - can be downright detrimental.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2018, 12:35:50 PM »
Quite often they do. Tons of dummies on RS putting up photos of models and asking if they can have a jaw like that and being clueless about their not having anything near the rest of the model's face. Then come the doctors who 'answer' with out telling them like it is. I'll work on an example later down the line.

Ugh, RealSelf. I despise that site. Lots of surgeons giving bulls**t lies.

I've also seen doctors on that site give boilerplate advice of chin + rhino when they have clearly recessed jaws and where neither a chin job nor a rhino would help. Obviously they want to make money since maybe its what they do specifically.

Its just another step up from the nonsense gym + haircut + shower (yes, people assume that hygiene is an issue as disrespectful as it sounds) advice.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2018, 12:47:51 PM »
Social media means more photos of your face online.  Alas, the nose has a huge (pardon the pun) effect on photogenicity.  Smaller noses photograph better.  The trouble is that there is a limit to how much smaller the nose can be. Often the nose is too long and there is no way of changing that, yet surgeons still operate... and re-operate... and re-operate.  Width is more controllable, but even this has limits.  I wish I could find that photo of 3 identical triplets I once saw... which as often is the case, still had significant difference.  In their case, it was the nose - from average, to big, to big and bulbous.  The difference was mainly in the width and fleshiness.  The brother with the biggest nose looked the worst by far, yet I don't see how his nose could have been significantly narrowed.  Furthermore, the face is all about proportions.  Taking away something in one dimension makes the other dimension look bigger.  For example, all surgeons love to take down dorsal humps, because it's easy.  But if the nose is long to begin with, it will look even longer after the dorsal hump is gone.  Ditto if a big long nose is narrowed - it will look longer.  Furthermore, proper rhinoplasty is not about simple destruction and removal.  It's actually reconstruction - good surgeons will use a lot of cartilage grafts to reshape the nostrils, the tip.  I've heard that while this stuff looks alright in photos, IRL those grafts look glistening and fake.

tldr; just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done.  Most rhinoplasties are unnecessary and in the case of someone with a long nose - can be downright detrimental.

I heard rhino is the single most complex procedure in the face.

ditterbo

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2018, 07:10:50 PM »
Think this will be my last time 'promoting' this guy's channel, but I think about all his video's go into this thread topic in a very simple but holistic & well illustrated way. I particularly like how he shows the differences in weak vs masculine skull features with actual/virtual skull models.

For example, but there's another one called what makes a face attractive - part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxwKibwHYEw

I totally noticed the large neurocranium silhouette on myself, with relatively small "splanchocranimum", before ever watching this video, but wasn't sure how it mattered to my overall face aesthetic.  Funny coincidence this video just validated my own insecurities with my entire skull shape, albeit I'm sure there are some exceptions to this skull shape 'rule'.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »
Think this will be my last time 'promoting' this guy's channel, but I think about all his video's go into this thread topic in a very simple but holistic & well illustrated way. I particularly like how he shows the differences in weak vs masculine skull features with actual/virtual skull models.

For example, but there's another one called what makes a face attractive - part 1:

I totally noticed the large neurocranium silhouette on myself, with relatively small "splanchocranimum", before ever watching this video, but wasn't sure how it mattered to my overall face aesthetic.  Funny coincidence this video just validated my own insecurities with my entire skull shape, albeit I'm sure there are some exceptions to this skull shape 'rule'.

Holy crap, I was just watching that video right now haha!

Yeah mine is kinda a mix between both.

Man, I wish we can one day fix all of this, :(((

Also what is wrong with his videos? He seems to be pretty informed and no-bs. This is the first time I saw a youtuber explain these things to the mainstream.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:43:17 PM by kavan »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2018, 08:35:56 PM »

Why the f**k are you posting Gandy fapper videos that make people feel bad about things they can't change about aspects of their structure that deviate from male models and neanderthal lunks. Try posting something intelligent.  Jesus Christ. Try the Serenity prayer.

ditterbo

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2018, 09:21:07 PM »
Had to google gandy fappers.  Feel free to delete my post then, or at least the part where I b*tch about the back skull shape.  I'm not trying to promote mopefests about s**t that can't be changed. I found it insightful though to get this kind of visual break down. It's pretty much encapsulating what was already stated here. Of course we're not transforming into models with today's tech, but thought this answers the mail for this thread.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2018, 09:30:48 PM »
Had to google gandy fappers.  Feel free to delete my post then. I'm not trying to promote mopefests about s**t that can't be changed.

Probably not in Google as I coined the term. A lookism type member who FAPS to male model photos. Usually mental masturbation about what models have that they (and 99% of the rest of the population) don't.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2018, 09:35:18 PM »
Why the f**k are you posting Gandy fapper videos that make people feel bad about things they can't change about aspects of their structure that deviate from male models and neanderthal lunks. Try posting something intelligent.  Jesus Christ. Try the Serenity prayer.

Its not like we can change anything anyways in this day and age except move around jaws forwards and backwards.

Its good to learn and at least have reference to this knowledge.

ditterbo

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2018, 09:36:04 PM »
I landed on a lookism page on my first try googling it actually hah. They worship gandy, etc.. Really those videos I linked are only educational if the viewer already somewhat understands what's possible today.  The editor didn't do a great job keeping his morphs etc. realistic at all. But one can make changes in the right direction if they understand the common denominator beauty norms & the limitations of different treatments, right?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2018, 09:44:18 PM »
Its not like we can change anything anyways in this day and age except move around jaws forwards and backwards.

Its good to learn and at least have reference to this knowledge.

I can EXPORT you to Lookism if you like where you'll be in good company of the gandy fapper , incel and 'i'm so ugly and all is futile' crowd.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2018, 11:00:52 PM »
I can EXPORT you to Lookism if you like where you'll be in good company of the gandy fapper , incel and 'i'm so ugly and all is futile' crowd.

Not a gandy fapper though. I just wished I looked normal let alone 1/5th of what he looks. And I’m not an all is futile until I see how things go when I’m like 32. Pessimistic but hopeful.

That site is usually the first site that comes up when aesthetics discussion is brought up even before this one lol.

In all honesty I don’t think most users there are actually decently looking but just mental to be gandy fappers. Most are actually ugly with literal potato shaped skulls.