Author Topic: Jaw line: need for advise  (Read 8137 times)

PloskoPlus

Re: Jaw line: need for advise
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
It's really up to the surgeon. I asked this specific questions and was told it was no problem unless something strange was found with the position of the wisdome teeth.
Supposedly they increase the risk of a bad break.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2019, 06:29:47 PM »
It's really up to the surgeon. I asked this specific questions and was told it was no problem unless something strange was found with the position of the wisdome teeth.

So, you can keep your lower wisdom teeth? Lot's of docs want them out to make the cut.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2019, 10:48:20 PM »
So, you can keep your lower wisdom teeth? Lot's of docs want them out to make the cut.

Yes, I've been told I han keep them. Gunson wanted all 4 out.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2019, 12:10:05 AM »
Are they fully erupted?

IconVillage

• Private
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2019, 12:51:00 AM »

Gunson also wanted all 4 out for me as did Sinn. I did not end up getting jaw surgery but I did have my wisdom teeth removed. Haven’t noticed any impact on my profile.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2019, 03:11:04 AM »
Are they fully erupted?

Just a clarification. I have not had confirmed that I don't need my wisdome teeth removed. Quote from my first consultation when I asked was "No  *pause* unless I see something strange". So all I'm saying is it depends on the situation and the surgeon. I believe Gunson seem to always want all wisdome teeth removed. There was never any doubt or question on any of them, it seemed like standard procedure when having surgery with him. I guess I don't need mine removed, as I've come pretty far in the process, and it would be a real setback to suddenly hear that I need to have them removed and wait 6 addition months for surgery, when they have all the x-rays since long.

Lestat

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2019, 05:54:10 AM »
At the age of 16, my dentist removed both wisdom teeth in my lower jaw, although in my case this was not necessary.
It only became clear to me afterwards that she only wanted to make quick money.

Is this a mistake in hindsight? Would i have better jaw angles now if they were still in it?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »
At the age of 16, my dentist removed both wisdom teeth in my lower jaw, although in my case this was not necessary.

Is this a mistake in hindsight? Would i have better jaw angles now if they were still in it?

NO idea if you would of had better jaw. In general, IF they fit in jaw, are not impacted (are erupted) and BSSO is not contingent on removal, they are fine to leave in. 'If not broken, don't fix it' thing....and yes, dentists do look for 'employment opportunities' in people's mouth's.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2019, 02:19:03 PM »

Neither me can say anything about the decision in your case or what the situation potentially could've been else. In general I can say that I have no understanding of pulling healthy teeth, and that you literally can see the dollar signs in the eyes of some dentists when they see your wisdome teeth.

In my case I am a bit angry of how they've treated my wisdome teeth. I had one which was growing horizontal and ever since the first x-ray it was seen the dentists told me this will have to come out. In my country all dental work is free up to 20 years or so. Well convenient enough they lingered on this and wanted to wait and I was told it might erupt more and making it easier to extract. At about 25 when all insurance and liability from the public health care for this was gone, I was suddenly told it's time to remove it. When I got to the surgeon he told me there was no way it was going to change it's position and healing is easier the earlier I do it. And also it was tangled with the alveolar nerve, so he didn't want to remove it fully, but instead cut if the crown and left the roots. If they would've sent me in as a teen they might had been able to fully remove it.

So this is one of the wisdome teeth where I fear they might "see something strange", and will have to do a complicated extraction as there is no crown left to grab.

So in general I would say, don't touch healthy wisdome teeth, and treat troubled wisdome teeth as soon as possible. The motivation they often give is that it's harder to clean and that people get problem with them later because of bad cleaning. In my opinion we might as well pull all teeth then, it gives 0 chance of future cavities.

BrazilianJaw

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2023, 12:04:11 PM »
Hello everyone

I had my Bimax surgery 2 years ago. The postoperative period was difficult, after 6 months the result was very satisfactory, but after 1 year I noticed a tendency to return to the convex pattern (I don't know if it was due to bone accommodation or reduction of the residual edema). I noticed that the edema persisted slightly until almost 1 year and a half. Now, despite seeing improvements, I am again dissatisfied with my profile, i think my chin ia retruded again. I'm in doubt if my case is for a new Bimax surgery or jaw implants, so I did some exams that follow below.

https://imgur.com/a/mdwh8ll

I think if my lips are just perfect alligned would be the perfect case to only do jaw/chin implants, but it’s not the case. My lower lip is behind the upper lip, preventing a good chin advancement with implants in my opinion. On the other side, some minor desviation from the profile view isnt noticed for normal people in the real world. Really in doubt about what should I choose.

For the preop ceph and profile pictures see the first post of this topic.

VincentGT

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2023, 02:53:29 AM »
Did the bimax surgery make your philtrum longer? Or make it look longer? Great results nonetheless.

BrazilianJaw

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2023, 08:18:34 PM »
I think my philtrum does looks lingerie, but the widening of the lower third of the face make this not a big problem