Author Topic: Facelift Dentistry?  (Read 9018 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Facelift Dentistry?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
I'm a novice patent agent outside of the US, here we can't patent medical treatments, how does that work in the US? Other dentists can't use his procedure or does it refer to a kind of kit that contains the veneers, etching products etc that only that specific patent holder can now sell?

Lots of patents in US for 'Cos-medical' or 'Cos-dental' devices procedures/devices. When there is a 'similar art' already in existence as in here as to what dentists do anyway when placing a veneer, the patent exists basically for marketing something for which they also get a TRADE MARK on. For example ad copy that reads; 'Dr. so and so has a patent on his method.' is used for marketing purposes. Trademarks are 'Face lift dentistry' and 'Venlays'.

Any dentist can use what ever supplies he's using to place veneers and/or crowns and for the same purpose. Basically, it's his TRADEMARK; 'Face Lift Dentistry' that's aimed at precluding other dentists from using that term in their marketing. Other dentists could also do what he's doing such as bulking out the teeth to fill up the face more, elongating the molars to change the jaw position and have done so. It's just that he found a way to CAPITALIZE that by putting a TRADEMARK on it and patenting some methods already in existence in order to boost his trademark.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Tezcatli

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2019, 02:35:26 PM »
Lots of patents in US for 'Cos-medical' or 'Cos-dental' devices procedures/devices. When there is a 'similar art' already in existence as in here as to what dentists do anyway when placing a veneer, the patent exists basically for marketing something for which they also get a TRADE MARK on. For example ad copy that reads; 'Dr. so and so has a patent on his method.' is used for marketing purposes. Trademarks are 'Face lift dentistry' and 'Venlays'.

Any dentist can use what ever supplies he's using to place veneers and/or crowns and for the same purpose. Basically, it's his TRADEMARK; 'Face Lift Dentistry' that's aimed at precluding other dentists from using that term in their marketing. Other dentists could also do what he's doing such as bulking out the teeth to fill up the face more, elongating the molars to change the jaw position and have done so. It's just that he found a way to CAPITALIZE that by putting a TRADEMARK on it and patenting some methods already in existence in order to boost his trademark.
Thanks, I understand what is a trademark, it's the same here. Interesting to learn more.

fulcanelli

• Private
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 05:48:17 AM »
If you are wearing the back teeth down now, you will STILL have that HABIT after you pay big $$$$ to have them built up with crowns. The amount that FLD charges is more than a maxfax surgeon who could give CORRECTION for deep bite.

That’s true but I plan on using a bruxism guard from now on. I am interested in building up the worn back teeth to avoid max fac surgery. It’s too invasive and unpredictable for me. I wouldn’t use facelift dentistry - just a regular dentist. My concern is mainly how will my bite be after? I will still have the over/deep bite but my hope is that the bigger back teeth will set my lower jaw making my face slightly longer.

I have a genioplasty already that I am happy with and I plan to do this with filler at the jaw angles. I am quite open that I am trying to ‘hide’ my issues rather than go through big surgery.