Author Topic: Genio or Jaw surgery? [PICS] Two surgeons with opposing views.  (Read 3208 times)

Ezra

Re: Genio or Jaw surgery? [PICS] Two surgeons with opposing views.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 04:06:56 PM »
You have a LOW ANGLE to the mandibular plane and SHORT chin. You really don't have recession of the mandible. You don't really have recessed chin either. You have SHORT chin.

The type of genio I suggested (which 'A' also suggests) brings the chin diagonally forward and down which will visually camouflage your low MPA and of course directly address the short chin.
Your frontal view would look better balanced with a longer chin

Plan B would involve EXTRACTION of teeth and for what?..to bring forward a LOW mandibular plane. It's your face but extraction is better justified when the mandible is truly recessed and your's isn't.

Thank you for your help. I'm leaning towards this procedure at the moment now.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Genio or Jaw surgery? [PICS] Two surgeons with opposing views.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »
I haven't seen Dr. Gunson. But I will be getting a third opinon and he would be a good option to get that from. My upper lip is swollen and the braces are hitting the back of it. It looks much worse than it will in the future. I'll keep that in mind though. I don't know what my decompensated overjet is...  Here is some info.

The info file is like I told you which is you DON'T have recessed mandible. It says you have mild prognathic mandible (which is good).

It also says you are 'brachycephalic'. The brachycephalic skull is 'A' on the series. A common trait of that is the short chin. So, elongating the chin (and calling it a day and doing nothing more than that!) will bring you closer to the illusion of 'mesocephalic' of skull 'B'.

http://www.scielo.br/img/revistas/dpjo/v18n3/26f02.jpg
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.