Author Topic: My doctor said genioplasty, but I'm not so sure...  (Read 6020 times)

JigJaw_:/

Re: My doctor said genioplasty, but I'm not so sure...
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 06:27:55 PM »
I have very suttle speech issues not anything doctors would take very seriously. I don't bite my tongue when I'm eating that often, but I think that is because my tongue naturally is further back than normal. When I try to force a normal tongue position my airway gets much better through my nose, and I just feel much better overall. But after doing this for a while, my tongue starts to hurt and my teeth shape is indented in the sides of the tongue.
It's cool to talk with someone with the same problem, because there is not a lot of people who wants to listen or even try to understand this problem, not even my parents haha. I'm 100 percent sure that I'm not gonna go for the chin surgery, because I know that it's not the right choice for me. I hope that you find the right doctor for your case man, it's a long and s**tty process..

Do you have sleep issues? Had a sleep test?
Family can be problematic for some people, defintely was for me when I first tried to acknowledge my issues. Treated me like I was delusional, which is very counterintuitive when the doctors are affirming the very same things I'm thinking. Funny bc my sister had bimax for cross bite etc. surgery five years after my initial consult.  At any rate, some times it's better to tread lightly. I should have had braces as a kid, just didn't.
Probably best to just do it all at once. I mean, you would greatly benefit from chin surgery, but ultimately although it offers vast improvement...I don't think it alone will produce the best result. It's definitely a personal investment, but I feel it's worth the struggle. Better to do when you're younger and your healing potential is greater.

Nicolazzz

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 07:22:34 AM »
Do you have sleep issues? Had a sleep test?
Family can be problematic for some people, defintely was for me when I first tried to acknowledge my issues. Treated me like I was delusional, which is very counterintuitive when the doctors are affirming the very same things I'm thinking. Funny bc my sister had bimax for cross bite etc. surgery five years after my initial consult.  At any rate, some times it's better to tread lightly. I should have had braces as a kid, just didn't.
Probably best to just do it all at once. I mean, you would greatly benefit from chin surgery, but ultimately although it offers vast improvement...I don't think it alone will produce the best result. It's definitely a personal investment, but I feel it's worth the struggle. Better to do when you're younger and your healing potential is greater.

I have an appointment for checking if I have sleep apnea. But they could only give me the machine the 16th april, so I'm a bit concerned that my jaw surgon will call me in before that I get it checked, because then I can't tell him that my jaw also gives me sleeping problems. My family definitely also treated me like I was/and am delusional, so I've just stopped talking to them about it.
The problem for me is that I'm not able to pay for a double jaw surgery myself. I live in Denmark, so these operations are actually free if it is bad enough. I was offered the genioplasty for free, but he said that the jaw was just to risky to move when the only real reason I came to him back then was because of my looks. A lot of people would probably go for the genioplasty right away because it's free, and some people might think that I am ungrateful. But I trust my intuitions, and they say that the genioplasty isn't the right choice for me.

haven

• Private
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 08:27:17 AM »
I have an appointment for checking if I have sleep apnea. But they could only give me the machine the 16th april, so I'm a bit concerned that my jaw surgon will call me in before that I get it checked, because then I can't tell him that my jaw also gives me sleeping problems. My family definitely also treated me like I was/and am delusional, so I've just stopped talking to them about it.
The problem for me is that I'm not able to pay for a double jaw surgery myself. I live in Denmark, so these operations are actually free if it is bad enough. I was offered the genioplasty for free, but he said that the jaw was just to risky to move when the only real reason I came to him back then was because of my looks. A lot of people would probably go for the genioplasty right away because it's free, and some people might think that I am ungrateful. But I trust my intuitions, and they say that the genioplasty isn't the right choice for me.

Would you mind explaining what you meant by "bad breathing through your nose"? Do you mean you rarely breathe through it because it's congested or is it just a habit?

Nicolazzz

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »
Would you mind explaining what you meant by "bad breathing through your nose"? Do you mean you rarely breathe through it because it's congested or is it just a habit?

When I stop focusing on my tongue position for a while, my nose gets blocked, but there is no snot. Then, when I start to add pressure on my palate with my tongue it slowly gets unblocked. Right now my nose isn't blocked at all, but that is because I've focused on my tongue position a lot these last couple of days. My jaw makes it almost impossible for me to have my tongue on the palate naturally, this leads it to lay in down my throat area when I'm not thinking about it, which then leads my jaw to fall down and my mouth open. I'm not saying that just because my mouth is a little bit open, that I only breath through my mouth. If I can I think I breathe through my nose naturally too. I've just experienced that I'm feeling much better when my mouth is closed and my airway is normal through my nose.
I've also noticed that my midface gets less flat, still flat but less, when my tongue and jaw is in the normal position.

haven

• Private
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »
When I stop focusing on my tongue position for a while, my nose gets blocked, but there is no snot. Then, when I start to add pressure on my palate with my tongue it slowly gets unblocked. Right now my nose isn't blocked at all, but that is because I've focused on my tongue position a lot these last couple of days. My jaw makes it almost impossible for me to have my tongue on the palate naturally, this leads it to lay in down my throat area when I'm not thinking about it, which then leads my jaw to fall down and my mouth open. I'm not saying that just because my mouth is a little bit open, that I only breath through my mouth. If I can I think I breathe through my nose naturally too. I've just experienced that I'm feeling much better when my mouth is closed and my airway is normal through my nose.
I've also noticed that my midface gets less flat, still flat but less, when my tongue and jaw is in the normal position.

I see. By deep bite, do you mean you have a large overbite/overjet? Honestly the first thing that sticks out to me is how far back your lower lip is in relation to the upper one. Maybe that's why others said your jaw is recessed. That's the biggest indicator for me at least. I'm not saying you look like a freak or anything, so don't take it the wrong way.

Nicolazzz

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 10:37:55 AM »
I see. By deep bite, do you mean you have a large overbite/overjet? Honestly the first thing that sticks out to me is how far back your lower lip is in relation to the upper one. Maybe that's why others said your jaw is recessed. That's the biggest indicator for me at least. I'm not saying you look like a freak or anything, so don't take it the wrong way.

That's the thing. I don't even have an overbite really, only very small, maybe 4-6 millimeters. My lip has also been a big indicator for my maxilla recession for me, because there would be no other reasons to why my lips are so far apart. My deep bite almost touches the back of my gums only a few millimeter from doing so.
I'm not taking it the wrong way, no worries haha. I'm happy to talk about my issue.

haven

• Private
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 11:26:45 AM »
You never provided x-rays right? I think fixing your overbite/overjet by advancing your lower jaw would place your lower lip in a more ideal position and also help with your sleep apnea. I don't know much about extractions though. I could have gone the surgical route by extracting teeth, but I was told I could just get a genioplasty if I really wanted to. I didn't like the idea of extracting teeth. I also never had braces as a kid and had them at 22.

Nicolazzz

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »
You never provided x-rays right? I think fixing your overbite/overjet by advancing your lower jaw would place your lower lip in a more ideal position and also help with your sleep apnea. I don't know much about extractions though. I could have gone the surgical route by extracting teeth, but I was told I could just get a genioplasty if I really wanted to. I didn't like the idea of extracting teeth. I also never had braces as a kid and had them at 22.

I got taken x-rays last time I was at consulation, but I didn't get them home with me. There is really no room at all for advancement of the lower jaw.
This is a pretty disgusting pic, but it shows what i mean hahah!

haven

• Private
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »
I got taken x-rays last time I was at consulation, but I didn't get them home with me. There is really no room at all for advancement of the lower jaw.

Keep searching for a solution for your functional problems. In the long run its better to have a small chin over sleep apnea, bite problems etc.

talia7

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 04:48:10 PM »
I have the same profile as you. My bite also isn’t that bad due to previous ortho work, they dentally compensated for my bite. So my overjet is only around 3-4 mm. In order to have my jaw brought forward surgically, I would need lower extractions to create enough overjet in order to do a lower jaw advancement. That’s what you would need too.

haven

• Private
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 07:12:23 AM »
I have the same profile as you. My bite also isn’t that bad due to previous ortho work, they dentally compensated for my bite. So my overjet is only around 3-4 mm. In order to have my jaw brought forward surgically, I would need lower extractions to create enough overjet in order to do a lower jaw advancement. That’s what you would need too.

So was your overjet larger than 3mm prior to getting surgery?

haven

• Private
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 07:17:03 AM »

I also meant to ask if that's your normal head posture? I wear glasses and it feels weird fixating my head like yours in the pictures. My lenses point downwards and feel like they'd fall off my face. I've also worn them all my life so maybe that has something to do with it.

Nicolazzz

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »
I also meant to ask if that's your normal head posture? I wear glasses and it feels weird fixating my head like yours in the pictures. My lenses point downwards and feel like they'd fall off my face. I've also worn them all my life so maybe that has something to do with it.

that isn't my normal head posture, I tried to fix it for the picture. Overall my posture is pretty bad, because if i stand upright my chin is literally close to touching my adams apple and my tongue also get less space.

haven

• Private
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 08:29:25 AM »
that isn't my normal head posture, I tried to fix it for the picture. Overall my posture is pretty bad, because if i stand upright my chin is literally close to touching my adams apple and my tongue also get less space.

So are your pictures supposed to illustrate proper  head posture? I don't really get head posture to be honest. Maybe wearing glasses all my life has something to do with it. Was your overjet larger than it is now?

Nicolazzz

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »
So are your pictures supposed to illustrate proper  head posture? I don't really get head posture to be honest. Maybe wearing glasses all my life has something to do with it. Was your overjet larger than it is now?

Yes, that is what I'm trying at least. Yes my overjet was bit larger when I was little, but It was never big enough to get it made.