Author Topic: My doctor said genioplasty, but I'm not so sure...  (Read 6028 times)

talia7

Re: My doctor said genioplasty, but I'm not so sure...
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 12:32:35 PM »
So was your overjet larger than 3mm prior to getting surgery?
I haven’t had surgery. And if I hadn’t had any previous ortho work, then yes, my overjet would have been bigger than the 3-4 mm overjet I have now. When you look at my face, and my X-rays, it’s obvious that I have skeletal imbalance. In order to fix that, I First need dental decompensation orthodontically; then I’ll have enough of an overjet to bring my mandible forward. Apparently this isn’t an uncommon scenario.

haven

• Private
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 12:52:24 PM »
I haven’t had surgery. And if I hadn’t had any previous ortho work, then yes, my overjet would have been bigger than the 3-4 mm overjet I have now. When you look at my face, and my X-rays, it’s obvious that I have skeletal imbalance. In order to fix that, I First need dental decompensation orthodontically; then I’ll have enough of an overjet to bring my mandible forward. Apparently this isn’t an uncommon scenario.

Was the idea of surgery would discussed when you first had braces? My overjet was 2 before I had braces (my jaw is technically still recessed since I'm a slight class II). If you had braces to essentially get to where i was without them couldnt they have just operated on you? Is there an "ideal" overjet to have to warrant surgery? I read some post here of someone whose jaw was recessed 14mm) according to a surgeon. They pulled teeth out for braces as a teenager apparently.

haven

• Private
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 12:54:21 PM »
that isn't my normal head posture, I tried to fix it for the picture. Overall my posture is pretty bad, because if i stand upright my chin is literally close to touching my adams apple and my tongue also get less space.

What does your normal head posture look like?

Nicolazzz

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 08:30:18 AM »
What does your normal head posture look like?

This is a picture of me a couple of years ago.. i don’t have a lot of pictures of my posture, but this show a little bit of how it is when I’m just chilling.

[attachment deleted by admin]

haven

• Private
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 09:20:11 AM »
This is a picture of me a couple of years ago.. i don’t have a lot of pictures of my posture, but this show a little bit of how it is when I’m just chilling.

I guess by bad posture you meant that you slouch your back a lot? I was referring to your heads lilt. Your head posture from your first post looks like the ceph x-ray from the post below yours.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 09:56:35 AM »
OP, since your post is on the aesthetic section, I will say again, your looks could be improved by lower jaw advancement in addition to chin. Upper jaw surgery would be to accommodate lower jaw and for fitting the bite. It also seems like there is a good chance this could help your functional issues.

From your first post, it sounds like you have the type of asshole doctor who has resorted to PRECLUDING you from the full jaw surgery JUST BECAUSE you mentioned aesthetic issues. There is an overlap with aesthetic issues and functional ones.  They can come together. This could be result of some insurance policy where they want to discourage patients from seeking out solely for aesthetics. But if you also have functional problems which sounds like you have those too, I think it's ethically wrong for the doctor to want to preclude your option for full jaw surgery on the grounds you mentioned aesthetic issues. Perhaps try again with another doctor and focus on your functional problems. It will most likely increase the likelihood of the doctor telling you your lower jaw is RECESSED and would need to be brought forward which in turn, will help with your aesthetic issues.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 12:41:16 PM »
Yeah, switch doctors. Wish I lived in Denmark. You guys have enough migrants right now though, you definitely don't need me too. Hah. Does 🇩🇰 keep medical your medical records, evals, X-rays, chart...tightly infused?  I guess my question is, would a different doctor within the system be able to access information on you which is collected from a different doctor? I know that here in the states when you go to a teaching hospital or large public hospital (tax paid) they keep your records in one big system. Just a thought. Perhaps make sure your "ducks are in a row" (sleep test, etc) before new doctor appointment, to offset any further mishaps. Also, technically when they do genioplasty over a certain mm's it supposed to open up the airway a little.

Lefortitude

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »
i find it repulsive that doctors recommend sliding genio or chin implants to patients who have clear bimax retrognathia.  Unfortunately these are cash cow solutions that carry little liability risk to surgeons, make them a load of profit at the cost to the patients results.  posting on this board probably saved you from a world of hurt.

Nicolazzz

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2018, 05:16:49 AM »
OP, since your post is on the aesthetic section, I will say again, your looks could be improved by lower jaw advancement in addition to chin. Upper jaw surgery would be to accommodate lower jaw and for fitting the bite. It also seems like there is a good chance this could help your functional issues.

From your first post, it sounds like you have the type of asshole doctor who has resorted to PRECLUDING you from the full jaw surgery JUST BECAUSE you mentioned aesthetic issues. There is an overlap with aesthetic issues and functional ones.  They can come together. This could be result of some insurance policy where they want to discourage patients from seeking out solely for aesthetics. But if you also have functional problems which sounds like you have those too, I think it's ethically wrong for the doctor to want to preclude your option for full jaw surgery on the grounds you mentioned aesthetic issues. Perhaps try again with another doctor and focus on your functional problems. It will most likely increase the likelihood of the doctor telling you your lower jaw is RECESSED and would need to be brought forward which in turn, will help with your aesthetic issues.

Thank you for your advice! My doctor actually seemed very trustworthy and nice. I was always sure that I needed a jaw surgery, but I was discouraged by my family who said that I would never get It paid by insurance, so I went from the doctors very happy with the offer for a genioplasty. The second thoughts started to come only a few days after, because I knew that my jaws were recessed.
I'm gonna tell my doctor that I'm not going to go further with the genioplasty, and perhaps persuade him to offer me a jaw surgery. I'm thinking about using these replies on the forum as a kind of evidence, or would that be a bad idea?
It's really hard to get a time for consulation by the public hospital in Denmark, so I almost have to rely on this doctor if I don't wanna have this problem for more years than possible.

Nicolazzz

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2018, 05:22:26 AM »
Yeah, switch doctors. Wish I lived in Denmark. You guys have enough migrants right now though, you definitely don't need me too. Hah. Does 🇩🇰 keep medical your medical records, evals, X-rays, chart...tightly infused?  I guess my question is, would a different doctor within the system be able to access information on you which is collected from a different doctor? I know that here in the states when you go to a teaching hospital or large public hospital (tax paid) they keep your records in one big system. Just a thought. Perhaps make sure your "ducks are in a row" (sleep test, etc) before new doctor appointment, to offset any further mishaps. Also, technically when they do genioplasty over a certain mm's it supposed to open up the airway a little.

Your always welcome in Denmark ;D I actually don't know if they have a database with all of my files, but they probably do. I'm gonna ask for my X-rays next time I'm to consulation, and then I'll post them on here. I was also hoping that I could get my sleep tested before going to my doctors, but they only had the machine ready the 16th of april, so I'm not sure that will be possible.

Nicolazzz

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 05:23:30 AM »
i find it repulsive that doctors recommend sliding genio or chin implants to patients who have clear bimax retrognathia.  Unfortunately these are cash cow solutions that carry little liability risk to surgeons, make them a load of profit at the cost to the patients results.  posting on this board probably saved you from a world of hurt.

I'm really happy that I posted. It has helped me a lot!

girl

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »

This happened to me. I had a sliding genio and the thing literally drops out my face and points to the ground. It actually caused me functional problems.

At least a chin implant is fairly non-traumatic and can be easily resolved. I had one of these before - it didn't get me to the place I wanted to be but at least it was an improvement on the original.

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2018, 06:01:12 PM »
This happened to me. I had a sliding genio and the thing literally drops out my face and points to the ground. It actually caused me functional problems.

At least a chin implant is fairly non-traumatic and can be easily resolved. I had one of these before - it didn't get me to the place I wanted to be but at least it was an improvement on the original.

I'm assuming they lengthened your chin....(?)  I've also had both a chin implant and now genioplasty, and I think the genioplasty is far more versatile and overall the better option. That's just my opinion. Remember, the genioplasty can also be reversed or modified. Hindsight, comparing both surgeries...I don't feel that one was more traumatic than the other. I actually felt as though the genioplasty was less stressful, but then again, I was under stress from the implant displacement. I always hated having the foreign object in my body, it was constantly either in my conscious or sub conscious in the background. Quite awesome how the bone heals. Anyway, the only thing that I'm slightly disliking is that it has made my dentofacial asymmetry more noticeable. But that will hopefully be fixed down the line once I have my jaw worked on.

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2018, 06:18:16 PM »
Thank you for your advice! My doctor actually seemed very trustworthy and nice. I was always sure that I needed a jaw surgery, but I was discouraged by my family who said that I would never get It paid by insurance, so I went from the doctors very happy with the offer for a genioplasty. The second thoughts started to come only a few days after, because I knew that my jaws were recessed.
I'm gonna tell my doctor that I'm not going to go further with the genioplasty, and perhaps persuade him to offer me a jaw surgery. I'm thinking about using these replies on the forum as a kind of evidence, or would that be a bad idea?
It's really hard to get a time for consulation by the public hospital in Denmark, so I almost have to rely on this doctor if I don't wanna have this problem for more years than possible.
That's good you like the doctor. Don't take this the wrong way, but I would advise AGAINST utilizing internet forums to show your doctor. Although there is good advice and opinion across these boards, I highly doubt your doctor would be motivated by any such things. I say this because, A) he's already a doctor. B) He might consider the fact that someone talked you into it. C) It might actually act in a negative way. I could go further with elaboration...but, honestly it's just hard to know how he might react. It might make him apprehensive to go forward. Something age teaches you.
This is just my personal opinion. You certainly don't want a doctor backing off (in respect to all manner)s from all procedures....or giving him a reason to take on the notion it's "psychological", cause that could very well happen as well. Which is always an ironic aspect of these situations, bc, duh...it is psychological. lol.
Next time you approach him, I would however suggest talking to him on a very serious level about jaw surgery. I would go in with the intent, not to beat around the bush, but rather to lay down how you feel and what you've learned through the process thus far. Myself, I will eventually have jaw surgery, bc overall, it's my jaws that need to be accessed-cut and moved; this was very much a camouflage procedure for me for the time being. With that being said, that's something you might mention to him. You could tell him that, although the genioplasty might be helpful, you'd like to address the underlying problem so as to not need any further surgery in the future...etc. Obviously you know your case best, so you must do your homework and make sure your ducks are in a row when you confront him. I always feel honesty is the BEST policy. Straight shoot him with what you predict as the best result, he might surprise you. He's also not the end all say all. You might be able to address this with another surgeon within Denmark's system. If that fails, there is always out of pocket. Seems like a long journey, but ....anyway.
Best of luck .
Best of luck.

Nicolazzz

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 06:50:16 AM »
That's good you like the doctor. Don't take this the wrong way, but I would advise AGAINST utilizing internet forums to show your doctor. Although there is good advice and opinion across these boards, I highly doubt your doctor would be motivated by any such things. I say this because, A) he's already a doctor. B) He might consider the fact that someone talked you into it. C) It might actually act in a negative way. I could go further with elaboration...but, honestly it's just hard to know how he might react. It might make him apprehensive to go forward. Something age teaches you.
This is just my personal opinion. You certainly don't want a doctor backing off (in respect to all manner)s from all procedures....or giving him a reason to take on the notion it's "psychological", cause that could very well happen as well. Which is always an ironic aspect of these situations, bc, duh...it is psychological. lol.
Next time you approach him, I would however suggest talking to him on a very serious level about jaw surgery. I would go in with the intent, not to beat around the bush, but rather to lay down how you feel and what you've learned through the process thus far. Myself, I will eventually have jaw surgery, bc overall, it's my jaws that need to be accessed-cut and moved; this was very much a camouflage procedure for me for the time being. With that being said, that's something you might mention to him. You could tell him that, although the genioplasty might be helpful, you'd like to address the underlying problem so as to not need any further surgery in the future...etc. Obviously you know your case best, so you must do your homework and make sure your ducks are in a row when you confront him. I always feel honesty is the BEST policy. Straight shoot him with what you predict as the best result, he might surprise you. He's also not the end all say all. You might be able to address this with another surgeon within Denmark's system. If that fails, there is always out of pocket. Seems like a long journey, but ....anyway.
Best of luck .
Best of luck.

Thank you for taking your time to reply!
Your probably right about not showing this forum. But I'm already on the psychological list, that is why I got offered the genioplasty. But I think that's the only way they can offer you a genioplasty for free. I'm pretty nervous about my next consulation, because I have to call of the genioplasty which I said yes to last time. I feel like there is so much to say and I just want to say the right things, because this is sort of my only chance. It's like a verbal exam, where you have to perform well to get the result you want. I'm scared that I'm gonna screw it up.
I'm thinking about writing a report or something, and handing it to him maybe?