Author Topic: My doctor said genioplasty, but I'm not so sure...  (Read 6024 times)

JigJaw_:/

Re: My doctor said genioplasty, but I'm not so sure...
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2018, 09:18:22 AM »
Thank you for taking your time to reply!
Your probably right about not showing this forum. But I'm already on the psychological list, that is why I got offered the genioplasty. But I think that's the only way they can offer you a genioplasty for free. I'm pretty nervous about my next consulation, because I have to call of the genioplasty which I said yes to last time. I feel like there is so much to say and I just want to say the right things, because this is sort of my only chance. It's like a verbal exam, where you have to perform well to get the result you want. I'm scared that I'm gonna screw it up.
I'm thinking about writing a report or something, and handing it to him maybe?
I hear yah. It can be a little nerve racking knowing you only get a certain time window to try and convey your thoughts/feelings to a doctor, esp. when you're aware that they're the overall expert in the room. But, remember, one of your advantages is you see and experience things every day that he might consider "you can live with it" type of things, that might effect you more than he understood intially.
Perhaps instead of taking the genioplasty "off  the table", you could instead use it as a starting point. You could tell him that since your last evaluation/visit with him regarding the genioplasty...that you've been doing research and discussing with friends, family, and other patients, with whom had similar procedures, and that while  the genioplasty seems somewhat like a somewhat appropriate solution- you're concerned that the genioplasty will only offer a small improvement with regard to the underlying issue (the jaws), and that you'd  like to discuss further the possibility of moving forward with jaw surgery. And you want to know if that would be a possibility, and what steps you need to take next to get on that specific track.  Orthodontics, etc.  Sleep test. If he doesn't transition into that conversation with ease, you might follow that up with some argument in regards to the functional, sleep, speech issues you face.  Chances are he's going to ask why...(hc...he's a doctor , haha). Remember though, it's only psychological (in his opinion) until it's not. I don't know what kind of difficulty you're facing with respect to Denmark's healthcare system, so I'm purely speaking out of turn on this one. At any rate. I would imagine like any government, they probably reserve spending for "need", but that line too can get blurred.  If all else fails, just tell him okay, that you'll keep the genioplasty on board but that you'd like to talk to another doctor before moving forward. You don't even need to tell him if you don't want.

Nicolazzz

Re: My doctor said genioplasty, but I'm not so sure...
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2018, 02:16:00 PM »
I hear yah. It can be a little nerve racking knowing you only get a certain time window to try and convey your thoughts/feelings to a doctor, esp. when you're aware that they're the overall expert in the room. But, remember, one of your advantages is you see and experience things every day that he might consider "you can live with it" type of things, that might effect you more than he understood intially.
Perhaps instead of taking the genioplasty "off  the table", you could instead use it as a starting point. You could tell him that since your last evaluation/visit with him regarding the genioplasty...that you've been doing research and discussing with friends, family, and other patients, with whom had similar procedures, and that while  the genioplasty seems somewhat like a somewhat appropriate solution- you're concerned that the genioplasty will only offer a small improvement with regard to the underlying issue (the jaws), and that you'd  like to discuss further the possibility of moving forward with jaw surgery. And you want to know if that would be a possibility, and what steps you need to take next to get on that specific track.  Orthodontics, etc.  Sleep test. If he doesn't transition into that conversation with ease, you might follow that up with some argument in regards to the functional, sleep, speech issues you face.  Chances are he's going to ask why...(hc...he's a doctor , haha). Remember though, it's only psychological (in his opinion) until it's not. I don't know what kind of difficulty you're facing with respect to Denmark's healthcare system, so I'm purely speaking out of turn on this one. At any rate. I would imagine like any government, they probably reserve spending for "need", but that line too can get blurred.  If all else fails, just tell him okay, that you'll keep the genioplasty on board but that you'd like to talk to another doctor before moving forward. You don't even need to tell him if you don't want.

I'm surprised by how people are so keen to reply and help on this forum! Really, thank you so much! It really means a lot to get help with how I should tackle this problem, because I really had absolutely nobody to help me before. I will definitely use your advice! I think you're making some good points.