Author Topic: U Shaped Chin  (Read 3004 times)

jawsome

U Shaped Chin
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »
If you have been left with a U-shaped chin after the initial surgery (for an underbite), would a genioplasty be a better fix or an implant?

pekay

Re: U Shaped Chin
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
this guy ended up with a V-shaped chin after tri-max

was it luck? his choice? surgeon's own aesthetic choice? is it even a choice/possibility?

Chopsticks > Spoons

jawsome

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
I just put my trust in the surgeon (I blame this partly on my British upbringing where I was just taught not to complain and not make a fuss). Even know I feel slightly embarrassed going to my surgeon and telling him I am not happy with my chin. I don't know whether anything will come of it and whether they would be able to fix my problems on the NHS.
I'm currently a poor student so if they can't fix it then I suppose I'll just have to live with it.

pekay

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
I just put my trust in the surgeon (I blame this partly on my British upbringing where I was just taught not to complain and not make a fuss). Even know I feel slightly embarrassed going to my surgeon and telling him I am not happy with my chin. I don't know whether anything will come of it and whether they would be able to fix my problems on the NHS.
I'm currently a poor student so if they can't fix it then I suppose I'll just have to live with it.

not your fault, we'are all taught from an early age to "respect" authority figures and never to question them and I find that patients in general see their surgeons as an authority figure plus the whole "WOW This guy is a doctor/surgeon, he has dedicated half of his life to his profession he is a genius" halo effect which further prevents us from wanting to interrogate them about every miniscule detail

you could at least consult with Prof Mommaerts about the possibility of a revision genio and what sort of result to expect (he does morphs)
Chopsticks > Spoons

jawsome

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 10:25:19 AM »
The problem with straying from the NHS is the cost, even for a consultation. I'm a student so money tends to be pretty tight. That being said I don't want to go with the NHS and have them botch things up further. *sigh*.

pekay

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 05:19:26 AM »
fwiw I don't think U-shaped chins are unattractive (it's really case dependent). I just don't think it would suit me well
Chopsticks > Spoons

fedfan

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »
It's one of my main concerns that if I undergo 3-piece osteotomy or even just genio, I could lose my sort of squarish shaped jaw and chin. It's one of the few things I like about my face.