Author Topic: From implants to Sliding Genioplasty - Questions  (Read 15661 times)

dardok

Re: From implants to Sliding Genioplasty - Questions
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2019, 02:40:53 PM »
My reference to 'cuts to the mouth' was about SURGICAL CUTS. Just get a dental check up with cleaning.

Why is it better to not have  cleaning close to surgery date then?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2019, 03:01:24 PM »
Why is it better to not have  cleaning close to surgery date then?

END of session.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2019, 04:03:12 PM »
for f**k's sake just get a strong 9-10 mm genioplasty.

No one is gonna put titanium implants in you except that quack Coacinceg or whatever his name is.

If you go with him though he might do distraction on you which would be a first on this board for an adult patient. So you know your mileage may vary. But please do keep us abreast of what happens. You're seeking ascension and most of us like icarus fly too close to the sun.

😂 lazlo, reading your stuff always makes me laugh.

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2019, 04:37:43 PM »
Cliffs:
-Currently have implants (custom silicone chin & jaw wrap around)
-Love how they look on me (I was modeling and getting acting auditions)
PROBLEM: Implants became infected and all have to be removed (I'm devastated and angry. Removal is happening today by the way).

I can wait 4 months and try again but...

-I no longer trust nor want silicone and/or implants in my face as it's too risky and has already destroyed certain parts of my life (I.e. wasting time, money and opportunities due to necessitation of removal)

*At this point I'm only concerned with my chin: nevermind the jaw angles.

Looking for a viable and life long solution: Sliding Genioplasty seems to be the answer. I need a large advancement (14mm minimum: this was the projection of my chin implant).

Looking to hear from those of you who have had a SG with large advancements (14-15mm).

1. What has your experience been?

2. Who was your surgeon? (I really need some suggestions here)

I know about Gunson but apparently I need a referral from an Orthodontist to see him. Firstly, I've been living out of country so I have no ortho and second, my home in the US is not in California. I really wish I could just make an appointment to see him because on his website it states that he now does SG for cosmetic purposes.

Who are the other top surgeons for Sliding Genioplasties? (surgeons you would place with Gunson)

By the way, I am willing to share my ceph and custom CT scan with those who have already undergone surgery.

I also had 10mm genio, with 6 mm lengthening. I also had an implant go bad on me, previous doctor didn’t screw it down, so the implant eventually displaced and endned up high eroding some of the bone. My implant was a joke, never liked it, didn’t really give any noticeable difference. I had planned to have later have bimax after the implant, but had to have it removed-so I figured I might as well do something substantial. Genioplasty was a good decision. 14mm seems like an awful lot. I thought 10mm was a lot. I have a fairly strong jaw/profile, so 10mm doesn’t look overdone. I had a couple small gaps on one side where the bone gap didn’t entirely heal, Dr. just filled with HA paste. Also had a screw protrude thru my gumline nearly 10 months after surgery, Dr. took it out in office; I only mention bc he had never had that happen before, for some reason I felt like it was bc of the big movement and pressure it created, perhaps that’s nonsense. At the end of the day, it was a good decision, and although the aesthetic result is a 1, 000 times better than before, I still feel that genioplasty fails meet the needs of bimax is needed. It’s not like an implant. Implants made me constantly question how I looked, or if it had changed positions, etc....too many factors. It also never felt like, “me”. Genioplasty is obviously your bone, your raw material, so that aspect is great. I have a short mandible with a cant, so although the Genioplasty helped, it still feels like a camouflage. I only tell you this so you can weight your entire aesthetic goal along with any functional needs. 14 mm seems like an awful lot to not need jaw advancement. I called gunson for a Genioplasty, he said no, but maybe you will find a different answer. Dr. Hobar did mine, he’s a great ps. I also consulted with dr. Sinn, he’s also in Dallas, Texas area, he’s gonna do my 3 piece lefort. He does real close to a chin wing. Best of luck.

tim06

• Private
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2019, 05:25:41 AM »
I also had 10mm genio, with 6 mm lengthening. I also had an implant go bad on me, previous doctor didn’t screw it down, so the implant eventually displaced and endned up high eroding some of the bone. My implant was a joke, never liked it, didn’t really give any noticeable difference. I had planned to have later have bimax after the implant, but had to have it removed-so I figured I might as well do something substantial. Genioplasty was a good decision. 14mm seems like an awful lot. I thought 10mm was a lot. I have a fairly strong jaw/profile, so 10mm doesn’t look overdone. I had a couple small gaps on one side where the bone gap didn’t entirely heal, Dr. just filled with HA paste. Also had a screw protrude thru my gumline nearly 10 months after surgery, Dr. took it out in office; I only mention bc he had never had that happen before, for some reason I felt like it was bc of the big movement and pressure it created, perhaps that’s nonsense. At the end of the day, it was a good decision, and although the aesthetic result is a 1, 000 times better than before, I still feel that genioplasty fails meet the needs of bimax is needed. It’s not like an implant. Implants made me constantly question how I looked, or if it had changed positions, etc....too many factors. It also never felt like, “me”. Genioplasty is obviously your bone, your raw material, so that aspect is great. I have a short mandible with a cant, so although the Genioplasty helped, it still feels like a camouflage. I only tell you this so you can weight your entire aesthetic goal along with any functional needs. 14 mm seems like an awful lot to not need jaw advancement. I called gunson for a Genioplasty, he said no, but maybe you will find a different answer. Dr. Hobar did mine, he’s a great ps. I also consulted with dr. Sinn, he’s also in Dallas, Texas area, he’s gonna do my 3 piece lefort. He does real close to a chin wing. Best of luck.

You get a 3 piece lefort with Dr. Sinn? Could you elaborate on the reasons and costs?

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2019, 06:30:04 PM »
You get a 3 piece lefort with Dr. Sinn? Could you elaborate on the reasons and costs?
Correction. I misspoke. I have a short maxilla, not mandible.
Reasons? Well, would be a downgraft to lengthen my maxilla. A 3 Piece because my maxilla is also shorter and back further on one side, so to widen and manipulate it more. As far as cost, I don’t know bc it will change bc I had the genioplasty with another doctor, and the original quote had 3 procedures combined.

Picollo30

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2019, 10:09:35 PM »
what are the odds of having a narrow chin after a sliding genio?

what about chin ptosis / witche's chin after the procedure ? is it common?