Author Topic: How do you deal with low self esteem before jaw surgery?  (Read 2117 times)

pandasalad

How do you deal with low self esteem before jaw surgery?
« on: June 29, 2018, 10:38:10 AM »
Pretty much what the title says: I am dealing with a really recessive chin and struggling with low self esteem while I go through the process of setting up a jaw surgery. I have medical concerns as a result of my jaw positioning, so my surgery won't be purely  for cosmetic reasons, but low self esteem is a struggle for me too. I want to look normal and healthy. I hate seeing myself from the side. I try to remind myself that I will look normal someday. But some days I feel pretty down about my situation. Any words of advice for people who are going through or have been through similar feelings?

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: How do you deal with low self esteem before jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »
Your jaw doesn't define what person you are. The surgery may make you look better(and maybe disappoint you depending on your expectations), but it wont change you on the inside, so if you can't be happy without the surgery, chances are that the surgery wont make you happy. It's easy to chase something thinking that it will make everything better, but the change for happiness must come regardgless of surgery. Distract yourself from the surgery, it comes soon enough and start doing things that make you happy directly.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:40:13 PM by Dogmatix »