Author Topic: ADVERSE EFFECTS OF ORTHODONTICS for JAW SURGERY --IMPORTANT!!!  (Read 18195 times)

Lazlo

• Private
Hey, so I'm beginning to learn A HELL OF A LOT more of all the s**t that go wrong, even at just the orthodontics stage of preparing for surgery, leave alone the surgery itself.

Specifically, you should know that the gums are in a constant state of gingival inflammation the entire time you are in braces. This is VERY bad for your teeth roots/gum health etc. While this should resolve once your braces are taken off (remember min. 6 months AFTER surgery) the longer you have your braces, the worse it is for your overall oral health, not to mention comfort.  But while in theory this should all resolve it is WAY WORSE the older you get, i.e. late adolescent or older and if you're an adult, you should be ESPECIALLY CONCERNED.

Let me share my problems: first, my treatment time was dramatically extended due to extractions, in fact an entire 1.5 years. These extractions and closing spaces created horrible problems for me, making my arches smaller, unaesthetic result.

DARK TRIANGLES/SPACES BETWEEN TEETH: if you've had extractions you'll have spaces between the teeth or close to the gum line. These will always fill up with space and you'll have to constantly use one of those little brushes to clean between every tooth. Also they look like s**t and make you look much older.

BUT WAY WORSE: I now have serious periodontal recession. The gum tissue is receding, roots are exposed to bacteria, and are beig damaged. Moreover, remember you can't have a proper teeth cleaning min 1 year after surgery so expect a ton more damage after your surgery and during recovery!!!

Of course those ASSHOLE orthodontists don't tell you about any of this s**t.

I've been told now by several surgeons: maximum time it should take for you to be orthodontically prepared for surgery is 12 -16 months. And if you don't have extractions(WHICH YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE) it should take 12-15 months at the most. Total turnaround time till you're dismanded should be within 2 years.

You're putting your teeth, gums, etc. etc. at serious risk if you don't have an experienced orthodontist who has done hundreds of such cases and understands the need for expedient treatment.

There is no solution for the dark triangles which will require a combination of bonding, gum grafting, and even then may still need veneers, and all of this is even worse for your dental roots, health etc. etc.

The conclusion of this article says orthodontic appliances do not necessarily put you at increased risk for periodontal disease --this is BULLs**t --if you have chronic gingival inflammation and recession for close to 2-3 years WHAT THE FUK DO YOU THINK IS GOING HAPPEN?

Regardless, this article mentions some of the risks and they are SCARY!
http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/401/1/bensonpe6.pdf

Modigliani

• Private
Re: ADVERSE EFFECTS OF ORTHODONTICS for JAW SURGERY --IMPORTANT!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 03:29:27 AM »
Why can't you clean your teeth properly for a year after surgery?

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:21:21 AM »
I take it you decided against jaw surgery, Lazlo?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Why can't you clean your teeth properly for a year after surgery?

you can't have a professional dental cleaning done. and if you have gum pockets or recession or tarter buildup a dental hygenist cleaning is the only way to properly address that no matter how much you waterpik, floss, brush, rinse etc. etc.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »

No, since I have extractions I NOW HAVE TO HAVE JAW SURGERY.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »
Lazio....it's not bad as you put it!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 10:33:36 AM »
Lazio....it's not bad as you put it!

it is if you're in your 30s --it makes you predisposed to all this s**t and also extractions make the case worse (bone loss around the sites) etc. etc. just read the article i posted in the original.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »

sharptoys, how are your results? are you happy with everything? any compliations? how is sensation? how are the aesthetics? you never really gave us muchof an update.

pekay

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »
I dream of setting my strip mall ortho on fire almost every day

I should have had this done when I was 19-20  >:(

Chopsticks > Spoons

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 12:14:18 PM »
sharptoys, how are your results? are you happy with everything? any compliations? how is sensation? how are the aesthetics? you never really gave us muchof an update.

And for that I do apologize. No complications so far. Sensation is at 70-80% at my lower lip, and lower (maybe 30-40%) at the tip of my chin, however neither are noticeable or troublesome during day to day activities. TMJ dysfunction is non-existent. Minimal relapse occurred, entirely consistent with condylar remodeling.

I've been--and still am--hesitant to post any concluding remarks because of my fairly high chance of relapse. Describing my situation, even now, feels presumptuous, even arrogant. However, I will say that my aesthetic improvement has been significant and very... encouraging.

I say "encouraging", in particular, because my only aesthetic goal was to look normal--average, typical, ordinary, mediocre. Being known--in thoughts, if not words--as weird, not for my actions, comments or personality, but rather for my appearance (a necessary consequence of my existence) was painful, almost inescapable, for a teenage Sharptoys.

Looking significantly more normal has been immensely satisfying in way that is truly difficult to describe. No, female models and stacks and bags of green are not raining from the sky, but to have the eyes of a new acquaintance pass from a friend's face to yours and back again without that distinct, slightly confused pause... It may seem like a small detail--and it is-- but it's one of many that together form a result I am delighted with.

To be honest, this is probably why I can't relate to members here who feel dissatisfied with looking "merely" average, and desire surgery to address their ostensible aesthetic mediocrity.   

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »
Sharptoys... Happy to hear you feel more comfortable in your skin.
What were your movements surgically?

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »
What about those permanent retainers they use now?
Some orthos swear by them and some believe they will contribute to tooth loss someday.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 07:05:38 PM »
Hey, so I'm beginning to learn A HELL OF A LOT more of all the s**t that go wrong, even at just the orthodontics stage of preparing for surgery, leave alone the surgery itself.

Specifically, you should know that the gums are in a constant state of gingival inflammation the entire time you are in braces. This is VERY bad for your teeth roots/gum health etc. While this should resolve once your braces are taken off (remember min. 6 months AFTER surgery) the longer you have your braces, the worse it is for your overall oral health, not to mention comfort.  But while in theory this should all resolve it is WAY WORSE the older you get, i.e. late adolescent or older and if you're an adult, you should be ESPECIALLY CONCERNED.

Yea, I expected this.  I had extractions as a child (well early teen), it has it's own downsides for sure, especially in facial development when coupled with headgear, but the gums recover much faster.   

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »
I've wanted you guys to know that the problems to your gums/teeth because of orthodontics  are so pervasive that this researcher has developed an ultrasound device which is to be worn like a mouthgard twice daily for 20minutes  while you're having orthodontic treatment to strengthen and prevent root damage and bone loss!!!!

I've spoken with him over the phone a few times and he said the device is not quite ready but will be in the next year or so (perhaps too late for us now).

http://www.dentistry.ualberta.ca/en/AboutUs/FacultyStaff/FacultyResearchers/TarekEl-Bialy.aspx