Author Topic: ADVERSE EFFECTS OF ORTHODONTICS for JAW SURGERY --IMPORTANT!!!  (Read 18191 times)

Kristen

• Private
Re: ADVERSE EFFECTS OF ORTHODONTICS for JAW SURGERY --IMPORTANT!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 02:47:13 AM »
Lazio....you need to sue your ortho. As we all do.    These orthos need to start to become responsible for all the harm they cause.   I would suggest not closing any of the spaces you have between any teeth as that will make your arch even smaller and cramp the tongu and airway more.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »
i know what caused this, it was extractions and prolonged braces wear. a max fac who is a professor of an academic department told me this. esp. at our age when recession is something that happens naturally. i have to either have a multisegment lefort or get palatal expansion. either way, my f**king arches are too narrow.

damon braces would have been a much, much, much better option....

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
What kills me is that we're finding all this s**t out only now. I mean all of us on this site. The internet has been around for f**king ever and only now do we find how close the correlation is between gum recession(in adults at least) and braces. I'm not saying braces are bad. As every f**king person I've spoken to has said, ortho preparation for SURGERY should take 12-16 months TOPS. Don't have extractions. Those are two simple f**king rules that should have been followed.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »
i got to tell you i'm jealous if people who at least started the process off right with a surgeon like marisama who went through the whole thing quite speedily.

x

• Private
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »
you're still only like 22 or something so parts of you are still actually growing too. in addition, you never had teeth extracted. I'm glad you're doing well. See CK, I know you have things you wish were better about your outcome, but just be grateful too cause there's a s**tload that could have turned out much, much worse. You're braces free now, right?
woah I though CK was like 29. why you so private bro?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 09:47:08 PM »
Okay, so braces ARE SO f**kING BAD FOR YOUR TEETH. AND ESPECIALLY EXTRACTIONS AND BRACES CREATE THE PERFECT STORM FOR f**kING UP YOUR JAWBONE AND TEETH ROOTS that the following company has been given several grants to develop an ultrasound mouthguard to be worn 20 minute twice a day the entire time you are braces. The ultrasound prevents the jawbone and teeth roots from getting damaged by the force of the braces.

Unfortunately none of us had this while in braces and the lucky ones escaped without too much damage.

I've spoken to someone at the company and they said it should be commercially available sometime between 8-12 months.

I mean godbless new technologies, but I just wish it was available now or before. Interesting their last trial test is recruiting volunteers specifically who are using braces to close extraction sites, which means while the device is imp. for anyone with braces to prevent damage, those with extractions are at an even greater risk for damage to their jaws from orthodontic treatment.

Here's the company: http://www.smilesonica.com/

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 09:57:07 PM »
It's funny I have a friend from high school days (and this is not to brag, cause I'm essentially quite poor) but who makes like 2 mill a year as a hedge fund manager in NYC. Also, his dad is the ceo of fortune 500 company. He was in town visiting the other day and I was telling him about the whole ortho debacle and jaw surgery. He has two small kids and I asked him if he was getting them braces. I assumed since he was so wealthy he'd be looking for like the best orthos and s**t and his response was: "Are you joking orthodontistry is the biggest racket in the dental industry. I would never even consider getting my kids braces unless there was a very obvious problem, and even then I'd probably get like five different consultations before choosing one." Clearly that's why he makes the big bucks --just seemed to already know a lot of s**t I'm just realizing.

NoQuarter

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 07:54:46 AM »
I have had braces since March 2010 and had four permanent teeth removed as well as two wisdom teeth in 2011 then double jaw surgery in March of this year.

I am very happy with the outcome of the treatment both in terms of aesthetics and function.

I remember when I got the extractions the middle of my face sunk back and made my under bite more prominent and I hated how I looked because of this. Thankfully the surgery has corrected this and I am now happy with my face (apart from the lingering swelling)

I do have what some people would consider slightly narrow arches, but they are now wider than they ever were so this doesn't bother me at all.

Having had braces for about three and a half years and extractions, would I be at risk of gum recession and developing these black triangles? I am only 22 so could I be at lower risk?

I only started to read into the effects of getting extractions after I got them and I found a lot of negativity surrounding them online so I was really worried about the aesthetic outcome of the surgery but thankfully it turned out okay.

I really hope it works out good for you guys who are getting the surgery.  I thought I was destined to have a poor result because I got extractions but at the moment I am happy with it and hopefully you will be too.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »
I have had braces since March 2010 and had four permanent teeth removed as well as two wisdom teeth in 2011 then double jaw surgery in March of this year.

I am very happy with the outcome of the treatment both in terms of aesthetics and function.

I remember when I got the extractions the middle of my face sunk back and made my under bite more prominent and I hated how I looked because of this. Thankfully the surgery has corrected this and I am now happy with my face (apart from the lingering swelling)

I do have what some people would consider slightly narrow arches, but they are now wider than they ever were so this doesn't bother me at all.

Having had braces for about three and a half years and extractions, would I be at risk of gum recession and developing these black triangles? I am only 22 so could I be at lower risk?

I only started to read into the effects of getting extractions after I got them and I found a lot of negativity surrounding them online so I was really worried about the aesthetic outcome of the surgery but thankfully it turned out okay.

I really hope it works out good for you guys who are getting the surgery.  I thought I was destined to have a poor result because I got extractions but at the moment I am happy with it and hopefully you will be too.

First, you don't know what your results would have been had you not had extractions. You might have had a broader smile, and they could have widened your arch through RPE or SARPE.  Second you're VERY young and the body's healing capacities at your age are like 10 times what they are in your 30s so be thankful you got out of it without any obvious damage.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
I know there's been a lot of anxiety caused by these recent revelations (revelations for me as well) regarding what a bunch of c*nts orthodontists are. I sort of wish the world was Salem and orthos were the new witches so they could all be lynched and murdered. Some surgeons are decent, but all orthos are essentially evil because they all prolong this s**t (unless under the direct supervision of a surgeon to kick their ass).

That said, all is not lost and I want to point to sign of optimism. There are new technologies on the horizon that may give us the smiles we've always wanted. I'm officially predicting 2020 to be the date when some of these technologies will actually be on the market. The oldest among us will still be only in our early 40s by 2020 which is still pretty young  these days!

http://www.dentalaegis.com/id/2012/04/what-is-the-latest-thinking-in-dental-stem-cell-research

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 10:12:39 AM »
I strongly recommend every one give up eating the western diet and turn to eating the PRIMAL or PALEOLITHIC DIET.

Ancient peoples did not suffer from tooth decay and had large beautifully formed arches. As Mike Tyson says: If you knew better, you'd do better. And now you know!

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-health-trend-focuses-on-remineralizing-tooth-decay

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »
All hail the PRIMAL DIET!!!!!

We must all go on the paleo/primal diet and eat bone marrow and big fat gobules of butter oil(look it up) mixed with fermented cod liver oil!

Nature has provided the solution to our problems, not science, not technology! We have the capacity within us to heal ourselves!!!

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ca/2009/03/reversing-tooth-decay.html

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 10:55:46 AM »
Okay, I'm going to do an experiment. Month of July instead of the detox I proposed previously is going to be entirely paleo/primal diet. I'm going to supplement with COQ10, cod-liver/butter oil blend, no grains or coffee and a s**t load and see if my gum recession improves or whatever.

Really, really interesting stuff: did you know maories etc. had no tooth decay?

http://www.examiner.com/article/many-indigenous-people-who-never-brush-their-teeth-also-never-get-tooth-decay

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »
i got to tell you i'm jealous if people who at least started the process off right with a surgeon like marisama who went through the whole thing quite speedily.

I just came across this thread.  My journey to fix all this was not quick by any means.  I've had braces 3 times and the third time has been the charm.  I had braces at 14 for two years, 21 for two years, and now 27 for 18 months.  That's a hell of a long time in braces!  I'm almost done with this whole journey.  The only thing left for me is some type of nasal surgery to improve my breathing through my left nostril that was somehow messed up during surgery.  Hopefully this is a quick fix!

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »
Ryan....what is going to be done to your left nostril?
Is it a bone or turbinate issue?