Author Topic: ADVERSE EFFECTS OF ORTHODONTICS for JAW SURGERY --IMPORTANT!!!  (Read 18190 times)

Marisama

• Private
Re: ADVERSE EFFECTS OF ORTHODONTICS for JAW SURGERY --IMPORTANT!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »
I'm going to find out more during my next appointment next month when final x-rays are taken.  It's weird, my left nasal base sort of collapses if i purse my lips and nose.  It's not easy to describe.  It's like I don't have the support for my left nostril.  I have difficulty breathing through my left nostril because of this.  I'd say it's my only complaint I have, which is a miracle to say the least.  After x-rays are taken, I'm told we'll be able to decide if a turbinectomy or a septoplasty is necessary.  I'm not able to fully appreciate the benefits of a larger airway because of this so I'm really looking forward to fixing this once I hit 1 year post-op this fall.

I'm also planning to do some cosmetic dentistry at the 1 year mark. 

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »
I'm going to find out more during my next appointment next month when final x-rays are taken.  It's weird, my left nasal base sort of collapses if i purse my lips and nose.  It's not easy to describe.  It's like I don't have the support for my left nostril.  I have difficulty breathing through my left nostril because of this.  I'd say it's my only complaint I have, which is a miracle to say the least.  After x-rays are taken, I'm told we'll be able to decide if a turbinectomy or a septoplasty is necessary.  I'm not able to fully appreciate the benefits of a larger airway because of this so I'm really looking forward to fixing this once I hit 1 year post-op this fall.

I'm also planning to do some cosmetic dentistry at the 1 year mark.

Ryan, do you know what sort of cosmetic dentistry you need? Like is it to fix black squares between teeth or spaces? I'm just curious.

A septoplasty, jesus, that's a full out nose job.

By the way, if your nostril is collapsing it may require putting grafts (usually bone) in the nostril --I don't think it's a huge deal.

There must be some sort of dark planet casting it's shadow over this forum right now. It's like we're imploding.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
Ryan....is Dr. Gunson deciding what needs to be done?   Has he seen you since this has been a problem?
What was done during surgery that causes this condition?

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
Ryan....is Dr. Gunson deciding what needs to be done?   Has he seen you since this has been a problem?
What was done during surgery that causes this condition?

It hasn't been decided yet.  Like I said, we'll know more once we get a better look from the x-rays next month.  I've read some negative things about turbinectomies and haven't done much research on septoplasties either.  Lazlo's comment about bone grafting is something I haven't heard of so I'll bring that up with the Dr.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2013, 08:48:08 PM »
Ryan, do you know what sort of cosmetic dentistry you need? Like is it to fix black squares between teeth or spaces? I'm just curious.

A septoplasty, jesus, that's a full out nose job.

By the way, if your nostril is collapsing it may require putting grafts (usually bone) in the nostril --I don't think it's a huge deal.

There must be some sort of dark planet casting it's shadow over this forum right now. It's like we're imploding.

My Father-in-Law is a dentist so I might as well get something more permanent for my "originally pegged" lateral bi-cuspids. I've since had bonding, once before surgery and again now that braces are off.  I did this as a quick fix to close the gaps that the multisegment created.  I also didn't want the gaps to naturally close and wanted to maintain a wide smile.  He recommended veneers for my front 6 teeth. He's going to retire any day now so I need to act quickly.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »
My Father-in-Law is a dentist so I might as well get something more permanent for my "originally pegged" lateral bi-cuspids. I've since had bonding, once before surgery and again now that braces are off.  I did this as a quick fix to close the gaps that the multisegment created.  I also didn't want the gaps to naturally close and wanted to maintain a wide smile.  He recommended veneers for my front 6 teeth. He's going to retire any day now so I need to act quickly.

the multisegment creates gaps? do you mean at each of the osteotomy sites? i suppose that means they are quite large.

i suppose if your father in law is recommending veneers they can't be that bad. when you smiled in your last pic, your smile looked wide and good and your teeth look really good, i personally don't think you need veneers....

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 12:56:29 AM »
Well I should have been told this. I just found it on a paper about extractions. pretty much explains my problems:

" Without the tooth, the level of bone is
also reduced in height on the teeth adjacent to the site of the extraction. As the
bone goes down, the gums go down with it. The net result is some gum recession
and newly exposed root surfaces on the side of the teeth facing the empty space
where the tooth was extracted."

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »
Okay, people, well I just had my ortho appointment  --some important information here:

I brought my father by the way and very calmly explained my issues to my ortho. The ortho hardly let me speak and he completely flipped out.

I mean he like began yelling at the top of his lungs. "you've been questioning my plan from the beginning! i'm threw with this! you don't pay me enough to constantly have to be explaining things to you! these people (i.e. Schendel/Jacobson/Arnett/Keller at the Mayo clinic/Dr. C chair of a top university dept. ) who say you didn't need extractions don't know what they're talking about! Your gum recession is caused by poor oral hygiene not the braces! (I floss, brush twice a day, full dental cleaning every 3 months))"

I mean he caused a scene. My poor father or I couldn't get a word in edgewise.

After some back and forth I tried to pin him down on specific questions.

Me: "will these dark spaces that I never had between all my teeth actually close and be filled with gum tissue. I never had this before braces or extractions, they've only developed in the last year despite immaculate oral hygiene."

Ortho: "No, that's gum recession. How old are you again? It's completely normal to have that much gum recession, I have it as well."

Me: "no you don't I can see you don't."

Ortho: "well I don't have it as much as you. blah blah"

Me: "Okay, I just want straightforward answers to my questions. First, you can't close the dark spaces?"

Ortho: "No a periodontist will have to try and fill them with gum grafts, after surgery."

Me: "Okay, when will I be ready for surgery. The last surgeon I spoke with said it's ridiculous that I've been in braces for 2.7 years"

Ortho: "You should be ready in a couple of months."

Me: "How long will I have to be in braces after surgery?"

Ortho: "2-3 months"

Me: "What!? Everyone says 6 months minimum!!??

Ortho: "No not at all. Since we're setting up the teeth correctly now. You'll only have to be in braces for 2-3 months afterwards."

Me: "What if I have an expander put in?"

Ortho: "That will be in for a couple of months, tops. We can also do nonsurgical expansion."

Me: "What!? I didn't know there was a thing as nonsurgical expansion for adults!? How many cases of double jaw advancement have you actually done?"

Ortho: "It's been in testing for 2 years, I know now that it works. We can expand without surgery. Whatever we do we'll have you out of braces in 4-6 months from now. I've done tons of cases."

So do with this exchange what you will. I mean I am completely flabbergasted and confused. Non-surgical expansion is now available!!!????
Gives a ton of f**king credence to all those orthotropic or whatever they're called alternative guys who say they can do nonsurgical expansion. Apparently it can be done.

What I am especially astounded by is this ortho's completely outlandish claims that he will debrace me 2-3 months after surgery!!! What the f**k!? I mean I want this to be true.

On July 4th I see the surgeon here, he's an okay guy and good surgeon from all accounts even though I'm not necessarily going to have surgery with him. He does work with this ortho consistently. I'll bring this all up with the surgeon. If anything he says contradicts the ortho I mean then I've been dealing with a complete f**king psychopath.

Again, my ortho is not some stripmall guy. He's suppossed to be one of the best in our province. But if he's wrong on these very specific things he's been saying well then he's a complete quack. Let's see.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 11:00:33 AM »
Another thing came to mind. If non-surgical expansion CAN be done in adults (and I remember reading a paper about this recently but I kind of just ignored it) it means the entire philosophy behind DAMON braces is absolutely correct despite the fact that most orthos say DAMON braces are bulls**t.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 11:01:15 AM »
My absolutely last negative comment: HOLY f**k orthodontics is a f**king BULLs**t f**kED UP FIELD.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »
The 4 month thing may be correct. My ortho said he won't change wires in a bit, but from the moment hell start (August or September) he thinks,now, 2 months are enough.

Lazio, ill pm you tomorrow, now it's late and I've hade a long day! Cheers

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 10:21:35 PM »
Are the Damon braces much better than the regular? Im curious...

hahaha

I think Damon braces are. They're more of an orthodontic philosophy in that they heavily promote non-extraction (or I should say orthos who use them). Also, they have claimed that they can perform slight expansion which most orthos said is impossible(in adults)  and now we're beginning to learn within mainstream orthodontics that it is indeed possible. They have greater precision to move individual teeth. They have much smaller brackets which only need wire change every couple of months and they exert much, much less pressure on the teeth while still moving them, and on average treatment time is about 6 months less than traditional orthodontics. They are more expensive but who gives a s**t.  So yeah, they're a lot better.

I read about them the day after I had my braces put on and paid the 3 grand deposit. I was very, very close to switching because they sounded so incredibly much better. I even called the ortho do make an appointment to switch. But then I was like "what a waste of money to do this," and my own ortho kept saying damon was bulls**t. Now that I am experiencing all the troubles you have no idea how much I wish I had indeed switched to the damon braces.

Two thing learned: always go with your gut/never, ever, ever, ever give the slightest concern for money when anything even remotely related to your health is concerned/and do extensive research....

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 04:51:47 AM »
"two things I've learned: always go with your gut/never,ever, ever give the slightest concern for money when anything even remotely related to your health is concerned/ and do extensive research.

So true!!  Always get other opinions.  Don't be intimidated or bullied.  Dr's egos are often out of control and that comes before an open mind to other ways of doing things or any admission or wrongdoing.

Don't ever just take their word for anything.

Mcpizza

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 05:45:12 AM »
And if you don't have extractions(WHICH YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE)
http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/401/1/bensonpe6.pdf

WHAAT?! My orthodontist wants take out two of my upper teeth to stop my front teeth from flaring (they need extra space for an unknown reason)?!!! Is that wrong? I'm afraid now :/, I'm only 16 by the way, if that has anything to do with it. 

They want to take the tooth that's dead and after a root canal treatment + one with the biggest filling :l

Also will I have to worry about the gum recession? They're expecting for me to be out of braces by the time I'm 18 i.e. 2 years.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2013, 07:14:26 AM »
don't worry about gum recession, try to avoid extraction.