Author Topic: Thoughts on Dr. Mommaerts in 2018? (Considering his history of bad reviews)  (Read 3299 times)

61bnc

He's had a few bad reviews on here (google "Dr Mommaerts review" if you're not aware). People have claimed that he "ruined" their face and that he's made poor surgery plans etc.
However, he is world renowned in the field of Maxillofacial Surgery (afaik)
I'm worried about him performing my bimax based on the bad reviews (although their credibility is debatable) and not wanting to destroy my face. But he seems alright for the most part and he's the most convenient person to go to based on where I live and I have a consultation in a week whereas I have to wait several months for other surgeons in Europe (might be a bad sign that I got a consultation so quickly)

TLDR: Mommaerts has had bad reviews on here in the past (ruined faces etc.) I'm worried about choosing him but he's the most convenient to go to.

So.. what's the verdict on Dr. Mommaerts? Are the bad reviews on here credible?

diegee72

Well,

I have had surgery with him in 2018, genioplasty, bimax and nose... and I can definitely say he did a very bad job. My face was asymmetrical, my chin was asymmetrical and the result. He performed a second surgery to 'correct' his mistakes, but that made it only worse as he used HA paste on my cheeks and chin. So finally I went to see dr. Joel Defrancq. This doctor did a good job and could correct the mistakes of Mommaerts... He reshaped my cheeks and my chin and removed the HA paste. I am very pleased with the results. So my advice: stay away from Mommaerts!

Lazlo

• Private
Well,

I have had surgery with him in 2018, genioplasty, bimax and nose... and I can definitely say he did a very bad job. My face was asymmetrical, my chin was asymmetrical and the result. He performed a second surgery to 'correct' his mistakes, but that made it only worse as he used HA paste on my cheeks and chin. So finally I went to see dr. Joel Defrancq. This doctor did a good job and could correct the mistakes of Mommaerts... He reshaped my cheeks and my chin and removed the HA paste. I am very pleased with the results. So my advice: stay away from Mommaerts!

Does Defrancq do anything good for cheekbone augmentation (other than implants?)

RedFountain

Does Defrancq do anything good for cheekbone augmentation (other than implants?)

I am currently in treatment with him (had SARPE a few months back), and have briefly discussed the options regarding cheekbones. He prefers to use HA-paste to augment the cheeks, although he does custom 3D printed implants as well. Not sure about osteotomies. We didn’t really go in depth at the time, since the focus was heavily on SARPE during that stage of treatment. Might discuss more options in the future.

Reading his website, he seems to place the HA-paste through an intra-oral incision. The cheekbone augmentation results are quite mediocre, with either insignificant changes or the paste placed way too low (to my liking anyway), ruining any hollow cheeks and good ogee curves. I’m guessing this is the expected result when going in through the mouth.

The Quest for Aesthetics

I've heard more bad things about him that I cannot disclose publicly, there's more to it than what you read online. Avoid him.

ben from UK

I think most surgeries go bad. Plastic surgery is a new domain and one has not fully understand yet what constitutes beauty and how to make someone better looking. I think in the future genetic procedures of cloning are going to be used to avoid ugliness. Too many surgeries look fake or botched. Some people also have mental problems. They need to avoid surgeons like the plague.