Author Topic: Dr. Joan Birbe - Spain - First consultation  (Read 13727 times)

strongjawman

Re: Dr. Joan Birbe - Spain - First consultation
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »
It's presumed that the ortho would be in the capacity to understand a preliminary surgical plan/objective as it would relate to WHERE the teeth SHOULD be (where the surgeon wants them to be)--like what direction he needs to displace the teeth-- for the goal of surgery to be achieved. It's understood by BOTH of them that relaying such a plan/obective to the ortho is not a promise or prediction that the teeth will be 'exactly' where the surgeon wants them at any 'exact' point in time. Hence the final surgical plan as it relates to giving it to the patient will be given when it's determined the teeth ACTUALLY ARE close enough to where they are needed to be for the basic goals of the surgery to be met.

As to how you can be CERTAIN. You can't. Instead, approach from the perspective of how UNCERTAIN it is that the surgeon can deliver exactly what you want/expect whether or not it be wanting to know if your smile/tooth/gum show will remain exactly the same or want to know ALL the input going into the surgery. So, learn to deal with uncertainty or resolve NOT to have surgery if it's CERTAINTY you want.

I mean even IF a surgeon gave you a surgical plan, ask yourself if YOU would be certain that you would understand everything in it to make a decision for or against the surgery. If it would be something where you would have to 'crowd source' (like on here) asking people what the plan MEANS, how would you be certain you were getting the right answers? You can't. So, why would it be contingent for you to have one if you could not be certain you would understand it all in it's entirety or be certain that info from 'crowd sourcing'would be precise or correct enough for you to be certain?

True. So in the absence of having personally read all the research pertaining to orthognathic jaw surgery (and possessing the ability to interpret said research with a high level of competency) - my choice of surgeon will be limited to seeing their before/afters, the "vibe" I get from my consultations and their experience/track record so to speak.. in a nut shell.

I can see this being a case where - if I get a good vibe off of all of the surgeons I consult with, and all of their before afters are satisfactory to me and they can answer my questions to a degree I am comfortable with - then the only differentiating factor would be price, so I will elect to go with the most affordable surgeon.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »
Firstly, I'm an advocate of the 'abnormal' protocol which is gathering enough KNOWLEDGE on one's own and enough to either be close to certain as to what you want and why OR to REDUCE confusion and uncertainty enough so one does not go into a consult knowing little to nothing about what they are consulting about, in which case the DEPENDANCY on the doctor to explain every little thing will exceed his/her time to do so. Nor do they have any obligation to do so.

For example, a lot of, if not most of maxfax relationships are GEOMETRICAL; points, angles, planes, rotations. So a good grounding in that will allow a person to relate back those concepts. Of course, not enough to figure out everything but enough so that a remedial course in geometry is not required for the doctor to give in order for one to understand the relationship that maxfax ALSO has to points, angles and planes, rotations and displacements thereof.

Not to belabor this but just to say that a lot of BASIC stuff having to do with maxfax becomes self evident just like concepts in geometry and logic become self evident to those who have studied it.

Background in logic or anything that enhances reasoning abilities so they become more rational than irrational is also important to have. For example the ability to understand the concepts of one 'knowing what they don't know' and 'not knowing what they don't know'.

For example, the surgeon understands the basic concept of he/she KNOWS what he does NOT know. He knows that he can't plan out a surgery with precision and relay 'NOW' knowledge to you about precise plans when such precise plans are contingent on information that will present itself at a FUTURE time. So, requests for surgical plans with any expectation they be PRECISE predictions of what is TO BE done or commitments to do so, resolves to an irrational request, one where you need to know NOW a precise surgical plan whereas the precision you want is contingent on a piece of information that is NOT known NOW and requires a FUTURE time to know it.

As to the 'catch 22', the ortho and the maxfax BOTH want you to know what you COULD know and could know on YOUR OWN.

For example COULD one know that one WANTS surgery INSTEAD of ortho alone to fix the bite and ALSO advance out the jaw/jaws? The answer is 'YES'. One COULD know that they WANT one thing over the other and in the absence of knowing if what they want can be done, in which case the pursuit of information becomes one to 'find out' if what they want can be accommodated via surgery.

For example Patient A has an overbite and recessive jaw and knows he WANTS surgery to correct BOTH. He's also has enough background knowledge underbelt to know what he wants is reasonable to inquire about having. So, reasonable to want a normative balance to the jaws and a bite to go with it. If he goes to an ortho, he will be able to answer the question: 'Have you decided whether or not you want surgery or ortho alone to correct your bite?'

The other example is patient B who does NOT know what he wants. He doesn't know whether he wants surgery aimed at BALANCING the JAWS with the bite or if he wants ortho alone just to 'get the bite right'. He can't expect the ortho to give him a comparative analysis of both so he can decide on which one he wants. The ortho does NOT plan out surgery FOR the maxfax. Nor can he expect the maxfax to predict the OUTCOMES of ortho before the outcomes present themselves and 'because' he 'needs' this plan to decide whether he wants ortho alone or maxfax.

What's the DIFFERENCE? Patient A, KNOWING that he WANTS surgery will be offered more information (or validation) towards that goal than will patient B. Why? Because patient B doesn't know even IF he wants one over the other.

What do the ortho and the maxfax both have in common? They both want the patient to demonstrate some kind of RESOLVE, DESIRE or WANT of one thing over the other. NEITHER will predict FOR the other with any exactitude when your GOAL actually IS for EITHER of them to do that because you DON'T know whether or not you want one or the other.

That said, the 'normal protocol' is what is basically ABNORMAL for a LOT of people on this board which is to have enough background conceptual info underbelt as to use it as basis to understand and/or gather more info about maxfax and enough so to at LEAST know whether or not they want surgery or ortho alone. Again, from my POV, it's quite possible to gather and process enough information on ONE'S OWN to know whether or not you want surgery. I'm not talking about 'need' because need for it (information thereof) can be gathered after one KNOWS they WANT it. I'm talking about information processing abilities that allow one to make decisions under uncertainty.

It is NORMAL to have UNCERTAINTY about the surgery you are considering. But it is also possible to LOWER uncertainty or become more certain that you WANT surgery and enough to RESOLVE to having it in the absence of precise predictions of it's outcomes and also in the presence of what ever the inherent risks are involved with the surgery (which the surgeon/s you are consulting with should be able to convey). You just need to be in the capacity to know what you want and have a good idea why. Even if you are way off target as to why you want a type of surgery, as long as you can communicate WHY you want it is enough for the doc to tell you if that's a good or unrealistic expectation to make a decision on.

It's NOT so hard to understand that a surgeon KNOWS what he does not know, tells you what he does not know (where your teeth will be EXACTLY at some time in the FUTURE) and why you would not expect him to draft out a PREDICTIVE and PRECISE PLAN based on knowledge he does not have NOW when you want it when knowledge of such is contingent on some time in the FUTURE.

It's NOT hard to understand the reasoning why some surgeons would be reluctant to give a precise plan when the patient appears to need it to be a 'certain' PREDICTION of the OUTCOMES of the surgery. They would be concerned that the patient would misconstrue it as an absolute promise against the outcome. They can pick up on a patient 'needing' it for CERTAINTY and withhold giving one for that reason.

Some docs will give a surgical displacement analysis to SHOW you what their AIM is which will allow you to see if you are on 'same page' as to the aesthetic objective. They might charge extra for that. As to the ortho aspect of it, it would show where they plan the teeth to be/oriented (seen on the after contour diagram). But it doesn't convey with CERTAINTY that the ortho needed prior will be exactly on target with the surgeon's plan.

Suffice to say if you want a plan/proposal, seek out surgeons who give one. But realize, it's NOT an 'absolute' prediction of the OUTCOME. It's better used/requested to compare aesthetic PREFERENCES between doctors.

When the question is; 'How do I know what I want?', your f**ked. Because the answer is KNOW that you DON'T KNOW what you want. Don't expect others to know FOR you what you want if you don't know yourself. Wait for a time when you can express what you want, in which case it will be easier for you to gather (and understand) information as to what you want is possible or not.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »
True. So in the absence of having personally read all the research pertaining to orthognathic jaw surgery (and possessing the ability to interpret said research with a high level of competency) - my choice of surgeon will be limited to seeing their before/afters, the "vibe" I get from my consultations and their experience/track record so to speak.. in a nut shell.

I can see this being a case where - if I get a good vibe off of all of the surgeons I consult with, and all of their before afters are satisfactory to me and they can answer my questions to a degree I am comfortable with - then the only differentiating factor would be price, so I will elect to go with the most affordable surgeon.

You don't have to read all the research papers pertaining to jaw surgery. But you should have some grounding in some basic studies (geometry for example) that would allow you to understand some basic things you don't understand in terms of concepts you do understand.

For example a lot of maxfax has to do with points, lines, angles, planes, rotations, displacements (extrapolations). When that stuff is totally 'foriegn' to someone, they wouldn't get much of anything by reading research papers because they are written with presumption that the readership has background in those things.

I suppose you could go by 'vibes' if you had to. It would depend on how good your intuition was. Like how decisions based on vibes worked out for you in the past.

In essence, what ever knowledge you have that you feel you can depend on to gather more knowledge and make a decision.

strongjawman

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 03:39:11 PM »
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply, Kavan.

Okay, you have clarified this to me a lot more.

I am a very logical and methodical person (I debate a lot) and have more knowledge on my own facial anatomy (I went out of my way to get a skeletal model done, MRI and soft tissue scans to determine the extent of my boney asymmetry vs soft tissue) and of jaw surgery than someone who has done zero research. But obviously I am not an expert.

With regards to your example of patient B; if they had an overbite and a recessive bite; I would assume that - in the absence of any of their own knowledge of which was the better solution (orthodontics vs surgery) - this is the kind of basic info I was referring to that the surgeon/ortho might be able could offer them. For instance in a situation where both could technically be options, surgery might be a more fitting solution as orthodontics only might require extractions or have a less than ideal tooth inclination afterwards.

I suppose I was more looking for some basic suggestions of the TYPES of movements that would be involved in my case. But there is also the possibility that my case is a lot simpler in terms of types of osteotomies needed (bimax with high chance of CCW and genio were essentially what I was quoted for).

For instance perhaps if I had extreme mandibular hyperplasia the surgeon could have suggested distraction osteogenesis as a POSSIBILITY (not promise) or an osteotomy of the ramus on the affected side.

To be honest, I think the real crux of what I wanted to know - and you have explained that it isn't possible to know this ahead of time - was that: if the degree of change in orientation/advancement of my jaws in order to achieve a perfect bite was such that it would drastically alter how I look, then I might not want to go ahead with surgery. However if the degree of displacement was such that my bite could be improved through surgery but with lesser drastic appearance changes, I would be more likely to go ahead with surgery.

Even I had to come up with an elevator pitch of sorts, it would be this:

- I wish to correct my bite.
- I would like an improvement in my profile (it is convex)
- I would like my chin deviation to be corrected if possible.
- I don't want to add further length onto my face and would like CCW to mitigate this.
- If the amount of advancement/displacement of the upper and lower jaws needed to correct my bite is going to push my jaws outside of the aesthetic boundaries I have asked for (for example if it increased left-right asymmetry and/or is TOO much advancement), then I would not get the surgery.

Does this seem reasonable? Do you think this is an obvious answer? I don't have a severe underbite or overbite, so am I worrying over nothing? It's not like huge movements would be needed to bring the teeth together as they are already essentially together, right?

I get what you are saying, it is not the surgeons job to educate me on every single type of osteotomy available unless I have specific preferences or questions about them.

Thanks for clearing this up, I feel I understand the whole process a lot more and will come increasingly prepared for future consultations.

Have a great weekend man.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »
By the way, Strongjawman.

Your initial questions you asked of Birbe were all GREAT. Try not to get 'stuck' on requiring that your smile stay exactly the same or within 1mm of same, like not to the extent you give the impression you're asking to see a surgical proposal in order to be 'CERTAIN' nothing about it's orientation will change.

IMO, you're better off asking to see before and after photos, noting that in them the smile changes (even if slightly) and saying something like: 'His smile looks so much better'. Even if you don't mean it, it can elicit a response like; 'Oh yes, smiles change too for the better.' That will give you some information that your smile could change. Another way is to say something like: 'Why didn't his smile change?' Even if you observed it did change, the question would also elicit a response of; 'Oh yes it did change and for the better.' Getting the doc to CONFIRM a change relative to that type of way of asking the question will give you the info you want which is basically; 'Will a change to the smile occur?'

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 04:23:12 PM »
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply, Kavan.

Okay, you have clarified this to me a lot more.

I am a very logical and methodical person (I debate a lot) and have more knowledge on my own facial anatomy (I went out of my way to get a skeletal model done, MRI and soft tissue scans to determine the extent of my boney asymmetry vs soft tissue) and of jaw surgery than someone who has done zero research. But obviously I am not an expert.

With regards to your example of patient B; if they had an overbite and a recessive bite; I would assume that - in the absence of any of their own knowledge of which was the better solution (orthodontics vs surgery) - this is the kind of basic info I was referring to that the surgeon/ortho might be able could offer them. For instance in a situation where both could technically be options, surgery might be a more fitting solution as orthodontics only might require extractions or have a less than ideal tooth inclination afterwards.

I suppose I was more looking for some basic suggestions of the TYPES of movements that would be involved in my case. But there is also the possibility that my case is a lot simpler in terms of types of osteotomies needed (bimax with high chance of CCW and genio were essentially what I was quoted for).

For instance perhaps if I had extreme mandibular hyperplasia the surgeon could have suggested distraction osteogenesis as a POSSIBILITY (not promise) or an osteotomy of the ramus on the affected side.

To be honest, I think the real crux of what I wanted to know - and you have explained that it isn't possible to know this ahead of time - was that: if the degree of change in orientation/advancement of my jaws in order to achieve a perfect bite was such that it would drastically alter how I look, then I might not want to go ahead with surgery. However if the degree of displacement was such that my bite could be improved through surgery but with lesser drastic appearance changes, I would be more likely to go ahead with surgery.

Even I had to come up with an elevator pitch of sorts, it would be this:

- I wish to correct my bite.
- I would like an improvement in my profile (it is convex)
- I would like my chin deviation to be corrected if possible.
- I don't want to add further length onto my face and would like CCW to mitigate this.
- If the amount of advancement/displacement of the upper and lower jaws needed to correct my bite is going to push my jaws outside of the aesthetic boundaries I have asked for (for example if it increased left-right asymmetry and/or is TOO much advancement), then I would not get the surgery.

Does this seem reasonable? Do you think this is an obvious answer? I don't have a severe underbite or overbite, so am I worrying over nothing? It's not like huge movements would be needed to bring the teeth together as they are already essentially together, right?

I get what you are saying, it is not the surgeons job to educate me on every single type of osteotomy available unless I have specific preferences or questions about them.

Thanks for clearing this up, I feel I understand the whole process a lot more and will come increasingly prepared for future consultations.

Have a great weekend man.

Well, yes, it's because I pick up that you are logical that you would be receptive to my responses.

Now with regard to patient B, there are a LOT of patient B's (over bite with recessive jaw) out there (some even on this board) who relay and REGRET depending  on the ortho's advice which amounted to COMPENSATING for the skeletal imbalance by PUSHING their face more INWARD just to get the 'bite right'.

That's why people with some knowledge and enough to know that they want surgery are in a better position then those who have no idea they are candidates for surgery and instead depend on the ortho to volunteer that info in the event the ortho could make the bite right without it. So, there are a lot of patient B's out there who have found out the hard way that the 'right bite' can look WRONG on the face.

That's the sort of thing Mew and his father openly critique; the types of orthos limiting their advice to just getting the bite right and thereby making the patients skeletal imbalance WORSE. Those that wouldn't tell them they would be better off with the surgery.

Your elevator pitch sounds good to me.

JourneyToSerenity

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 08:53:34 AM »
Strongjawman, how did you come across Dr.Birbe? Is he well respected in the field, and how does he compare to Dr.Raffaini & Alfaro?

It's not something to really be concerned about if the impaction is to be done to address a gummy smile and also to affect a CCW of the mandible. The amount of optimal tooth show--and there is some wiggle room for that-- is factored into impaction advancement combination.

Many thanks for the response. Also, I show a lot of gum tissue on my frontal side, is there a limit on how much impaction can be done to the posterior side of the gums?

Also, I've heard conflicting reports on where the impaction is done, is it done above the nasal cavity or on the gums, itself?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 09:59:50 AM »
Strongjawman, how did you come across Dr.Birbe? Is he well respected in the field, and how does he compare to Dr.Raffaini & Alfaro?

Many thanks for the response. Also, I show a lot of gum tissue on my frontal side, is there a limit on how much impaction can be done to the posterior side of the gums?

Also, I've heard conflicting reports on where the impaction is done, is it done above the nasal cavity or on the gums, itself?
They have to balance multi relationships to optimize better balance.
Impaction is the result of removing a SECTION, can be a bone wedge from front or back or can be an 'even' section and closing in on the space left by the removal of what ever section, shape thereof was removed. One cut for this is though the base of nose at nasal spine level.

JourneyToSerenity

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 06:55:05 AM »
In the process of booking a consultation with, Dr.Birbe's sec, don't know how he compares to the other prominent surgeons given the limited information available, but he seems to be highly regarded on here. Also, it'll be nice to have another professional opinion that I can use in order to help me make an informed decision.

They have to balance multi relationships to optimize better balance.
Impaction is the result of removing a SECTION, can be a bone wedge from front or back or can be an 'even' section and closing in on the space left by the removal of what ever section, shape thereof was removed. One cut for this is though the base of nose at nasal spine level.

I'll make sure to ask the doctor on how he'll plan to do the impaction on the maxilla. Thanks for the reply, Kavan.

strongjawman

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »

I came across him through this forum! He posted here a few times in the past. Not sure how he compares to be honest; he isn't as well known but he has been recommended as among the best in Spain.

JourneyToSerenity

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
I came across him through this forum! He posted here a few times in the past. Not sure how he compares to be honest; he isn't as well known but he has been recommended as among the best in Spain.

Thanks. Yeah, that's why I initially asked the question because I got nothing back from doing a background search on him [apart from a poster listing him as one of the more experienced surgeons]. At least doing a background search on this forum with names like, Dr.Alfaro, Dr.Zarrinbal, you hear of posters who have undergone treatment, are satisfied, and can vouch for those surgeons.

The only problem I have with being among the best in Spain, is who's making that comment, and how good are the rest of the surgeons in Spain barring Alfaro. This whole selection process is a hit and miss.

I'm going to book with Dr.Alfaro while I'm out there, too, so I'll be killing two birds with one stone.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 11:16:56 AM »
Birbe seems like a nice guy. He reads this forum, and we've talked via email.
I have no idea how he is as a surgeon.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 03:30:12 PM »
Birbe seems like a nice guy. He reads this forum, and we've talked via email.
I have no idea how he is as a surgeon.

Agree. I mailed the clinic and got ridiculous fast responses to my mails and had a video consultation the same day and got a quotation fast etc. Very good service, the best I've come across and directly thought this is the guy for me. Fast and easy to talk to.

Then all of a sudden when I sent a mail with some more serious questions on how I can actually proceed if I wish to get serious about this, and get a more in-depth analysis of my specific case, no more response. It seemed very strange to me, I mean this should be the mail they would want to get, how can they else get any customer to actually get a procedure. I wonder if it could be that I asked specifically regarding posterior down grafting and if it could be handled if necessary. Maybe they figure it's a lost case if they don't do it and I specifically ask for it.

Have anyone else asked regarding this and knows if he performs ccw by posterior down grafting?

Melalb

• Private
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 10:27:04 PM »
I have also consulted with Dr.Birbe online and found him knowledgeable and easy to talk to.
As for the CCW rotation via posterior downgrading I believe he does it as he suggested it for me.
I am planning on seeing him in September so will be able to provide more info after that.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 09:34:04 AM »
Agree. I mailed the clinic and got ridiculous fast responses to my mails and had a video consultation the same day and got a quotation fast etc. Very good service, the best I've come across and directly thought this is the guy for me. Fast and easy to talk to.

Then all of a sudden when I sent a mail with some more serious questions on how I can actually proceed if I wish to get serious about this, and get a more in-depth analysis of my specific case, no more response. It seemed very strange to me, I mean this should be the mail they would want to get, how can they else get any customer to actually get a procedure. I wonder if it could be that I asked specifically regarding posterior down grafting and if it could be handled if necessary. Maybe they figure it's a lost case if they don't do it and I specifically ask for it.

Have anyone else asked regarding this and knows if he performs ccw by posterior down grafting?

Can you clarify whether or not your second e mail to him was with the expectation that he give you an indepth analysis of your case VIA E MAIL.

They certainly don't want to get e mail where there is any indication that the sender holds contingent any 'obligation' on the part of the doctor to address questions that are highly specific to the potential patient's case. 

So, if he got the impression you FELT he was 'obliged' to address any specific questions which you thought were applicable to your specific case and you came off as feeling it was CONTINGENT he address such via e mail or anything else where you gave impression of '(potential) customer is king and customer deserves his specificities be addressed', that is reason enough for NO response back.

To the best of my knowledge, YES, he does do posterior downgrafting. But he probably wants to avoid e mail communications where his saying he does in any reference to your specific case which could be misconstrued as an implied promise he would do that for you or any implication that he's done an indepth analysis of your case if he answered your question.

Basically, he could have gotten the 'vibe' that you could either misconstrue or misunderstand any further in depth information whereas to properly even RENDER it usually involves an in person consult.