Author Topic: Had chinwing yesterday, have the feeling it's WAY too big  (Read 23040 times)

ben from UK

Re: Had chinwing yesterday, have the feeling it's WAY too big
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 03:51:32 AM »
Talked to the surgeon. He is completely confident that i will get the result i wanted and needed. I heard this before, that's why i'm sceptical. Revision is possible after a couple of months. Revision is even possible now, but you risk losing the jaw angle due to resorption of the bone, and of course, he advices against it. In appr. 2 weeks 85-90 percent of the swelling will be gone. Still, he says i will probably still not be satisfied after 2 weeks, due to residual swelling. According to him, it's about definition. With the jaw implants, after 90 percent swelling was gone, that was pretty much the endresult. So I don't know why he insists on the last 10 percent. But i guess i have to wait it out.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 06:58:15 AM »
post before and after pics. you can blank out the rest of your face.

Reasonable request if the topic is to remain in the Aesthetic section. Thank you for pointing this out.

I'm moving this topic to the 'Emotional Support' section.

Because it's more of an emotional response to an extremely early post op (with swelling) aesthetic-- that only the OP can see but viewers can't-- than it is a query seeking aesthetic advice based on visuals.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ben from UK

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 12:17:33 AM »
Peak swelling diminishing. I have to admit i had extreme panic attacks and was not completely reliable as a source, unless what i said was true, but that cannot be said yet until swelling is gone. I have to wait till the swelling is gone before any judgement. Sorry for this. I will come back after the swelling to give more information.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 08:13:04 AM »
Peak swelling diminishing. I have to admit i had extreme panic attacks and was not completely reliable as a source, unless what i said was true, but that cannot be said yet until swelling is gone. I have to wait till the swelling is gone before any judgement. Sorry for this. I will come back after the swelling to give more information.

Glad to hear you understand why this was transferred to the Emotional support section and also that you took my advice to just ask the doctor and realize that 'only time will tell'.

ben from UK

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 01:57:17 PM »
Yes i understand what you said, no problem with that. Are you planning to have a cw or did you had one done?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 04:11:29 PM »
Yes i understand what you said, no problem with that. Are you planning to have a cw or did you had one done?

No.

SDM360

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2018, 12:32:20 AM »
Hey so I am approximately 6 months out of my own chin wing surgery. You really do need to wait a significant amount of time to judge your results, and this is no moment to panic just yet. From my experience I think its untrue that 90% of swelling will be gone by 2 weeks. I think by 2 weeks 60-70% will be down by then, 1 month 80ish%, and by 2 months 90% down. I felt like even when a large amount of swelling was gone their was still significant changes going on (I think due to more extensive bone healing and remodeling going on after the 2 month point).

I did notice that my drop down of my angle was MUCH larger at the 2 week point compared to the 2 month point (maybe I lost 3-4mm of drop down of the angle from the 2 week point to 3 months).

Anyways, I know how much anxiety and stress this can cause, it is your face after all. I remember I would take pictures of my face every couple hours up until 1 month post-op because the swelling was really bothering me (appearance-wise). It is important to just RELAX at this point, you are still very far from your "final result."

ben from UK

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 11:44:56 AM »
Hey so I am approximately 6 months out of my own chin wing surgery. You really do need to wait a significant amount of time to judge your results, and this is no moment to panic just yet. From my experience I think its untrue that 90% of swelling will be gone by 2 weeks. I think by 2 weeks 60-70% will be down by then, 1 month 80ish%, and by 2 months 90% down. I felt like even when a large amount of swelling was gone their was still significant changes going on (I think due to more extensive bone healing and remodeling going on after the 2 month point).

I did notice that my drop down of my angle was MUCH larger at the 2 week point compared to the 2 month point (maybe I lost 3-4mm of drop down of the angle from the 2 week point to 3 months).

Anyways, I know how much anxiety and stress this can cause, it is your face after all. I remember I would take pictures of my face every couple hours up until 1 month post-op because the swelling was really bothering me (appearance-wise). It is important to just RELAX at this point, you are still very far from your "final result."

Thanks for the information and support.
 Really appreciate. I'm 3,5 days post op. The thing looks massive. I mean, it's like i'm carrying a pelican chin. My anxiety is so high i'm thinking to off myself. I'm thinking all the time: is this swelling or not. It looks very 'boxshape'. As we all know, boxsbape is aestethical unpleasant.

How are your cw results now?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 12:25:32 PM »
 Really appreciate. I'm 3,5 days post op. The thing looks massive. I mean, it's like i'm carrying a pelican chin. My anxiety is so high i'm thinking to off myself. I'm thinking all the time: is this swelling or not. It looks very 'boxshape'. As we all know, boxsbape is aestethical unpleasant.

I told you SWELLING would PEAK on Day #3.  Bone CUTS with GRAFTS, you are going to SWELL.

ben from UK

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
I told you SWELLING would PEAK on Day #3.  Bone CUTS with GRAFTS, you are going to SWELL.

This i understand. But i had jaw impants 2 times as well. I'm trying to calculate what will be left after the swelling, based on post op swelling with jaw implants (custom wraparound actually). I will wait i guess.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 02:24:33 PM »
Then stop trying to calculate something you won't be able to calculate because you can't posit or take as base line that insertion of custom implants kicks up the same trauma as cutting into your bones and placing grafts between them. Bone cuts and moving around of bones is more traumatic than is fitting in a custom implant. Not to mention the TIME a surgery takes will be a factor of trauma, longer times, more trauma. More trauma, more swelling.

SDM360

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 02:59:39 PM »

Yes your chin and jaw angles will look huge for a while. Your face will also have a boxed shape for at least the first month or two. You really do need to be patient to start seeing your final result without swelling, I'm talking MONTHS not weeks. Also I don't believe a jaw implant would cause more swelling then a procedure that involves bone cuts including a bone graft. Their is much more trauma in bone cuts than simply just putting a implant in, meaning more swelling and downtime.

My result was outstanding, I got above and beyond what I was expecting. Their were times during my recovery I was just so worried about my outcome, thinking it just didn't look right, it was too big in some areas, too small in others, or assymetrical, or that i would never regain sensation in my lips or chin. However, given some time, the swelling went down and everything turned out great, I came out with about the same amount of asymmetry, if not better symmetry, and I regained what feels like 100% sensation again.

You say your only 3.5 days out, so you may not even be at the peak of your swelling, you have a long recovery ahead of you. Try to find something to distract you for the next while (books, movies, etc) to keep your mind off the surgery for now.

ben from UK

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »
Yes your chin and jaw angles will look huge for a while. Your face will also have a boxed shape for at least the first month or two. You really do need to be patient to start seeing your final result without swelling, I'm talking MONTHS not weeks. Also I don't believe a jaw implant would cause more swelling then a procedure that involves bone cuts including a bone graft. Their is much more trauma in bone cuts than simply just putting a implant in, meaning more swelling and downtime.

My result was outstanding, I got above and beyond what I was expecting. Their were times during my recovery I was just so worried about my outcome, thinking it just didn't look right, it was too big in some areas, too small in others, or assymetrical, or that i would never regain sensation in my lips or chin. However, given some time, the swelling went down and everything turned out great, I came out with about the same amount of asymmetry, if not better symmetry, and I regained what feels like 100% sensation again.

You say your only 3.5 days out, so you may not even be at the peak of your swelling, you have a long recovery ahead of you. Try to find something to distract you for the next while (books, movies, etc) to keep your mind off the surgery for now.

Great feedback. With the custom jas implants, my face seemed to be more swollen, maybe because it covered a bigger area. They go underneath almost half of the masseter for example. With this CW it seems to be less swollen but 'bigger' face. Maybe the 'bigness' is an optical illusion and it's all swelling.

Anyway, don't do silicone implants guys: the stories are true: they blow up your face, don't look naturel. Awful stuff, unless you do a very small increase, but even then it is not an ideal solution.

I read the swelling of CW was mostly the first two weeks, and with implants the big swelling period lasts 7-8 weeks. But maybe it's the same period and same swelling pattern.

ben from UK

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »
Then stop trying to calculate something you won't be able to calculate because you can't posit or take as base line that insertion of custom implants kicks up the same trauma as cutting into your bones and placing grafts between them. Bone cuts and moving around of bones is more traumatic than is fitting in a custom implant. Not to mention the TIME a surgery takes will be a factor of trauma, longer times, more trauma. More trauma, more swelling.

I think you underestimate implants, with all due respect. Quite alot of force needs to be used to place them underneath the masseters. Also, it takes a long time to heal because of the silicone between skin and bone. With osteotomy this is not the case. There is no silicone, that diminishes good bloodsupply. When bloodsupply is less, the healing takes longer and there is probably more swelling as well.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:18:40 PM by ben from UK »

ben from UK

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 08:40:44 PM »
Update: had a convo with the surgeon. He tried to reassure me he did not do too much and to trust him. Of course, this is what you want as a client, to trust someone. I began to trust him again, until i saw the X Ray with the bone change. Seems to be a huge lateral displacement (not only drop down). Certainly bigger than the width of the implants, which was already too big for my face (and no drop down). What i needed was max 4 mm additional width. Exceeding that border makes my face looks unnatural. It's about millimeters. Adding a 10mm drop down on top of that, makes it even more unbalanced. I mean, i understand the idea behind that. Theoretically, he wanted to create that 'square' look. But I've been there, done that with the implants, and it made my face look out of proportions. So I asked for a small change this time. But i get the same nightmare, if it's not worse. Pffff.