Author Topic: Dr. Sinn No Longer Does Box Osteotomies :( Best Alternatives?  (Read 7693 times)

SavingFace

I have pretty bad midface hypoplasia and weak under eyes/orbital rim. Extra large cheek implants did not do a thing to help me when places five years ago. I was counting on getting a consultation with Dr. Sinn and having the box osteotomy that I read about on this forum, but I got the news today that he does not do those any longer. :-( I am devastated to hear that. Does anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives?

earl25

Re: Dr. Sinn No Longer Does Box Osteotomies :( Best Alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:38:03 AM »
Dr deschamps braly in san francisco does them

SavingFace

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 09:13:39 AM »
EThank you! Are you the one who had the osteotomy with Dr. Sinn? If so, I would really love to talk to you more. I feel overwhelmed. I’m a fairly busy guy and feel like I need a medical degree to understand the terminology I see when 1) I Google anything about osteotomies and 2) when I browse this forum. If you’re the legendary Earl who had this procedure, is there a way to talk privately (briefly, respecting your time of course.)

Cheers, and thanks again.

Austinou88

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 09:56:19 PM »
Dr deschamps braly in san francisco does them
Did you actually get this done??

SavingFace

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 02:20:10 AM »
I decided to go ahead anyway and get a consultation with Dr. Sinn. Maybe he has a different doctor he might recommend or some other procedure he might recommend. I think his experience is invaluable. Anyone has any advice on what I might ask him during the consultation, I would really appreciate it.

Austinou88

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 06:48:32 PM »
I decided to go ahead anyway and get a consultation with Dr. Sinn. Maybe he has a different doctor he might recommend or some other procedure he might recommend. I think his experience is invaluable. Anyone has any advice on what I might ask him during the consultation, I would really appreciate it.
Are you going just to ask him about your eyes, or simply to see everything he would recommend to improve?

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 09:36:05 AM »
Dr Wolfe does them.

SavingFace

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »
Are you going just to ask him about your eyes, or simply to see everything he would recommend to improve?

I was mainly looking for something to fix midface hypoplasia. Dr. Niamtu in Richmond said that's my problem five years ago. He did a surgery, but it didn't really help much even with XL cheek implants. I was hoping Dr. Sinn might be able to do a box osteotomy or something with more dramatic results, which would include the orbital rims. Sinn said my chin was fine, and he said my occlusion is fine, which I agree with (thought in my opinion maxillary and mandibular advancement would help the overall aesthetic). Sinn felt like I didn't need bimax surgery, and he offered two options.. one of which would move the cheek bone forward (an osteotomy) and the other a custom implant that would take care of the eye issue and cheek issue at the same time.

I'm a little reluctant to go with Sinn for an implant, though. So I went to consult with Michael Yaremchum in Boston. He recommended custom implants for cheek, orbital rim, paranasal, and an angular mandible (jaw) implant, as well as a rhinoplasty. I think he is more known for implants, but after I consulted with him I found a bunch of negative reviews (possibly from the same person?) online, so I'm not sure what to do now.

SavingFace

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 02:16:12 PM »
Dr Wolfe does them.

Thanks! What is his first name? Sorry, I am a newb!

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 02:41:33 AM »
whats wrong with Sinn's malar osteotomy?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 01:11:15 PM »
Thanks! What is his first name? Sorry, I am a newb!

Dr. Anthony S. Wolfe

SavingFace

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 02:15:03 AM »
whats wrong with Sinn's malar osteotomy?

Well he gave it as an option, but then said he thought I would get more benefit from a custom implant, because it can also address the orbital deficiency. He said the malar osteotomy wouldn’t really address that because it’s cut at the wrong place. With a custom implant they can better address asymmetry and give as much projection as needed.

SavingFace

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 02:15:50 AM »

SavingFace

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 08:25:11 AM »
I have a pretty significant update for this thread. Dr. Sinn DOES do osteotomies.  I’m pretty sure his staff told me incorrectly.  As I related it in a different thread about Dr. Yaremchuk, Dr. Sinn proposed after consultation that custom implants would work best for my orbital rim and modfafe issues.  Well yesterday he emailed me and told me that he wanted to call me today. I just got off the phone with him.  He said he was not really comfortable after thinking about it for a while, with the custom implants. He thinks they are overpriced and he hasn’t used them very often.

He instead of proposed an osteotomy that he has done several times recently which could give me as much as 8 mm of forward projection in the orbital rim area.  I don’t think I would need that much, but it’s nice to know that it’s available.  He said the cut would go farther over toward the nose than the other osteotomy that I had mentioned before, which I posted a picture of.

He said that this osteotomy was designed by an Australian doctor. He didn’t tell me the name of the doctor, but I did ask him if he would send me the article he was referencing.

This sounds really exciting, as I am really reluctant to go the route of further implants. I have to say that in my interactions with Dr. Sinn, I am incredibly impressed with him. He is concerned about aesthetics, concerned about cost, completely honest in recommending or not recommending procedures. He doesn’t care about his own bottom line. It’s very clear that he cares about the outcome and cost to the patient. That’s rare in a doctor.

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 10:11:06 AM »
I have a pretty significant update for this thread. Dr. Sinn DOES do osteotomies.  I’m pretty sure his staff told me incorrectly.  As I related it in a different thread about Dr. Yaremchuk, Dr. Sinn proposed after consultation that custom implants would work best for my orbital rim and modfafe issues.  Well yesterday he emailed me and told me that he wanted to call me today. I just got off the phone with him.  He said he was not really comfortable after thinking about it for a while, with the custom implants. He thinks they are overpriced and he hasn’t used them very often.

He instead of proposed an osteotomy that he has done several times recently which could give me as much as 8 mm of forward projection in the orbital rim area.  I don’t think I would need that much, but it’s nice to know that it’s available.  He said the cut would go farther over toward the nose than the other osteotomy that I had mentioned before, which I posted a picture of.

He said that this osteotomy was designed by an Australian doctor. He didn’t tell me the name of the doctor, but I did ask him if he would send me the article he was referencing.

This sounds really exciting, as I am really reluctant to go the route of further implants. I have to say that in my interactions with Dr. Sinn, I am incredibly impressed with him. He is concerned about aesthetics, concerned about cost, completely honest in recommending or not recommending procedures. He doesn’t care about his own bottom line. It’s very clear that he cares about the outcome and cost to the patient. That’s rare in a doctor.

Is anyone gonna break it to this poor guy or are we all just silently laughing? I'm happy to do either