Author Topic: Double jaw surgery before pics/ suggestions  (Read 1786 times)

toddstratt

Double jaw surgery before pics/ suggestions
« on: October 08, 2018, 11:22:23 PM »
I have consulted with several surgeons and orthodontists the past few years about my jaw issues, and I am finally getting to the financial position where I am ready to move forward and have the surgery. So far I have been diagnosed with a recessed upper and lower maxilla, narrow palate, over bite, Class 3 Malocclusion, and recessed cheek bones/jaw. I have spoken to several suggestions surgeons here for consultations and it seems they mostly agree upon the same treatments. I suffer with  sleep apnea due to my jaw issues causing obstruction to my breathing, I also will have developing TMJ issues if I don't get my jaw fixed. So there is definitely a medical need for the surgery as well. I also read about and spoke to some people who mentioned that moving the lower and front jaw forward will make my midface/cheekbones concave and I learned that Dr. Sinn and some others also perform a modified lefort 3 for this issue. And for the alternatives it sounds like they aren't quite as effective from what I read on this forum and others.

So here's my before pics, curious to know what are people's thoughts and the changes that I could expect. From other people's experiences. Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/7sczLZC

ditterbo

Re: Double jaw surgery before pics/ suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 05:11:16 PM »
The order of operations goes jaws -> cheeks. Also you're a class 2 not 3, are you sure a maxillofacial doc called you a 3? If so don't go to him.

It's scary how similar in looks you are to me, even down to the dark wavy hair. Are you Ashkenazi?

Get a Gunson consult and see how much CCW you may need, then see what the lesser US docs can conjure up as a compromise.

ghiggson90

• Private
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 06:28:07 PM »
Get multiple opinions from top surgeons, and be sure to ask plenty of questions.

More importantly, ask yourself whether it's worth it. You're in for multiple procedures, and probably over a year.or two of orthodontics.

toddstratt

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 09:27:38 PM »
The order of operations goes jaws -> cheeks. Also you're a class 2 not 3, are you sure a maxillofacial doc called you a 3? If so don't go to him.

It's scary how similar in looks you are to me, even down to the dark wavy hair. Are you Ashkenazi?

Get a Gunson consult and see how much CCW you may need, then see what the lesser US docs can conjure up as a compromise.

Not sure my ancestry is mostly german, Irish, french, czech, and native american. Mostly western european mixed races. My generational tree is mostly catholic. I thought it was class 3 off memory but I am probably mistaken. I reached out to Gunsen and Arnett, and Sinn so the two more reliable people and the ones who are recommended here. Set a phone consult with Sinn but have not spoken to him yet, Gunsen and Arnett I had an appointment a few years ago but never went to follow up. Wish this all wasn't so expensive or insurance would actually cover more than they do. 

toddstratt

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:28:23 PM »
Get multiple opinions from top surgeons, and be sure to ask plenty of questions.

More importantly, ask yourself whether it's worth it. You're in for multiple procedures, and probably over a year.or two of orthodontics.

That's what I am aiming for, it's definitely worth it to me because the alternative is untreated progressively worsening sleep apnea, and losing my teeth. Which would easily cost up to 20k to replace with implants anyways.