Author Topic: How much could sliding genioplasty alone hide?  (Read 1685 times)

jlock22

How much could sliding genioplasty alone hide?
« on: October 28, 2018, 03:10:30 AM »
First post.  Really learning a lot from these forums.  Given my profile, which I believe is fairly retrognathnic, I'm wondering how much a sliding genioplasty alone could hide.  I do have some functional issues (snoring, some mouth breathing, post nasal drip), but I'm not totally sure if a jaw surgery would be worth the hassle.  More definition would be awesome as well, but neither implants nor jaw surgery seem like an easy way to address the problem.  Any input would be great. 

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7un2cyj299shru6/AADgA2bro7q4aCQ_Oiaro9sFa?dl=0

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: How much could sliding genioplasty alone hide?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 05:44:20 AM »
It's hard to say without seeing your bite. A genioplasty is a pure cosmetic procedure, a jaw surgery is a medical procedure. If you ever decide to go for a jaw surgery, the genio will be a waste since it may have to be redone for best result. Jaw surgery is probably the most effective way of opening the airways if you suspect you have these problems.

The results of a genioplasty and a jaw surgery is also different, a complete advancement probably looks more natural in most cases than an isolated of only the chin.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
You have a 'lucky' profile photo because there just happens to be a vertical line (on door) where it should be to make my explanation easy to relay.

Your LOWER lip should basically meet that line where the upper lip does. The fact that your lower lip is behind the the vertical line your upper lip is tangent to is a straight forward indicator that your WHOLE mandible is RECESSED which in turn, is an indicator you could benefit from maxfax surgery, in particular a BSSO to advance your mandible FORWARD. Since they have to BALANCE such things as the TEETH (occlusion/position) and the UPPER JAW also along with that, a surgery to advance the lower jaw could ALSO include a cut to to the upper jaw so all meet together.

IF you pursued the WHOLE maxfax surgery, which always starts with some consultations that include 'work ups' such as ceph X rays which the doc has to look at to come up with a PLAN to displace multiple areas (via bone cuts), the surgery would ALSO include ADVANCEMENT of your CHIN.

With reference to basic straight down 'drop down' vertical lines, if you drop a vertical line from your LOWER LIP, the chin should 'almost' meet that line or meet that line. That is especially true IF you elected to get an ISOLATED genio. It would be needed to AVOID trying to COMPENSATE for the WHOLE mandible recession which some people do by advancing the chin PAST a vertical drop down from the lower lip. This is mentioned because people with the recessive mandible can fall into the TRAP of trying to over compensate for that by advancing the chin TOO MUCH forward to the vertical drop from the lower lip. This is also mentioned because you mention you are inclined to want to avoid the WHOLE maxfax surgery.

Although I think you could get SOME 'relief' via an isolated genio, it won't compensate for the WHOLE maxfax in your case. In general, folks who get the whole maxfax can get the WHOLE mandible advanced enough such that the separate chin advancement does not have to be as much as it would have to be in an isolated genio.

All that said, I think it would be in your interest to consult around as to explore the possibility of the ENTIRE maxfax surgery. If not, an isolate genio could give you SOME relief but just THAT PART will NOT compensate for the entire jaw imbalance visible via your profile shot.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ghiggson90

• Private
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 01:03:56 PM »
I agree with Kavan's assessment. Camouflaging the mandibular deficiency with isolated genioplasty would deepen the mentolabial fold in an unaesthetic way.

jlock22

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »
Thanks so much for the responses (especially kavan).  I'll try to gather more sleep information and see if I have a real issue there - otherwise I'm not sure if I could get insurance to cover it (I'm in the U.S.) since I've had a fair amount of orthodontic work so I'm pretty sure my bite is aligned despite jaw.  Going private I'm guessing is like 50k with ortho work + surgery..  I'll do more research in these forums, but any indication I would need CCW rotation?

CCW

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 11:07:26 AM »
Thanks so much for the responses (especially kavan).  I'll try to gather more sleep information and see if I have a real issue there - otherwise I'm not sure if I could get insurance to cover it (I'm in the U.S.) since I've had a fair amount of orthodontic work so I'm pretty sure my bite is aligned despite jaw.  Going private I'm guessing is like 50k with ortho work + surgery..  I'll do more research in these forums, but any indication I would need CCW rotation?
If your bite is mostly fine and you don't have a huge overjet, then you'd most likely need CCW so that your upper jaw won't have to be over-advanced. Most people need bimax surgery and some degree of rotation. You should schedule a consultation with Dr. Gunson.