Author Topic: Maurice Mommaerts  (Read 56760 times)

Modigliani

• Private
Maurice Mommaerts
« on: July 03, 2013, 01:54:51 PM »
Found a few more MM before and afters from his newly published book.

The class III guy had an amazing result!

http://www.facialmakeover.info/frontend/files/userfiles/files/book2.pdf

http://www.facialmakeover.info/frontend/files/userfiles/files/book1.pdf

ETA: I ended up having bimax and genio with him, he destroyed my face due to a combination of: lack of planning, poor surgical plan, a procedure performed that I had not consented to and general piss poor surgical skills/or it was done by one of the students. Know that you will have no chance of legal recourse and that any formal complaints to the hospital just get forwarded to him.

If you are still considering using him I beg you to read this thread fully as well as digging around the entire forum, and others - he has many unhappy patients whom he has left with very real functional and aesthetic issues. Please do not let this butcher anywhere near you.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:25:05 PM by Modigliani »

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
Re: More Mommaerts
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:23:34 PM »
so many patients left with an edge to edge bite....such a poor planning!

pekay

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »

The class III guy had an amazing result!

My theory (on why Class III) almost always look 10x better (both males and females) is because they rarely experience vertical growth which is what really distorts one's face

Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »
My theory (on why Class III) almost always look 10x better (both males and females) is because they rarely experience vertical growth which is what really distorts one's face

agreed. role of growth continues to be understated by both surgeons and orthos. many orthos will tell you they have the ability to grow the jaw *lol* sufficiently to match the results of natural growth. many won't emphasize how limited jaw surgery and braces are in dealing with abnormal growth.

pekay

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:22:05 PM »
agreed. role of growth continues to be understated by both surgeons and orthos. many orthos will tell you they have the ability to grow the jaw *lol* sufficiently to match the results of natural growth. many won't emphasize how limited jaw surgery and braces are in dealing with abnormal growth.

yeah I read something the other day and it was almost as if you had wrote the article LOL. it basically stated what you had said before: if the face develops vertically down the bones in the mid-face area compensate for it and slant downward as well (something along those lines)

most under-bites cases are ridiculously easy to correct: linear advancement of the upper jaw + linear set-back of the mandible. CCW is NOT required since vertical growth did not happen

@Modigliani: nice find btw  :)
Chopsticks > Spoons

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 03:33:49 PM »
many times they look worse as they look weak and recessed as in before they had character.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
Agreed... That class 3 guy looks awesome!

CK

• Private
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 11:09:59 PM »
nothing wrong with length at all but in the case of vertical growth it can seriously disturb how soft tissue is distributed on the face.

at this stage it doesnt matter but there are lots of young people now who can still be helped.

pekay

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 07:38:25 AM »
Modigliani any more before/after from Prof MM?

isn't he retiring this year or something?
Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 05:53:45 PM »
How are we diagnosing vertical growth? The class III Mommaerts guy had 3mm anterior impaction and 6 mm posterior impaction, which would suggest vertical overgrowth of the maxilla right?

Off topic rant, but I'm getting sick of jaw surgery befores that pose like Down Syndrome patients. This isn't plastic surgery and we don't need or want these deceptive marketing tricks

pekay

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 06:09:22 PM »
How are we diagnosing vertical growth? The class III Mommaerts guy had 3mm anterior impaction and 6 mm posterior impaction, which would suggest vertical overgrowth of the maxilla right?

well from what I have observed and again my opinion is meaningless but there seem to be cases where only the upper is affected

ex:

and others where the mid-face also grows vertically along with the upper jaw

^ or maybe that girl just has a naturally long upper lip and a really low mouth (vs her eyes)... who knows?

Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 06:23:29 PM »
well from what I have observed and again my opinion is meaningless but there seem to be cases where only the upper is affected

ex:

and others where the mid-face also grows vertically along with the upper jaw

^ or maybe that girl just has a naturally long upper lip and a really low mouth (vs her eyes)... who knows?
hmm hard to tell cause one's smiling and one's relaxed but I get your point.

surgeons only care about LFS when it comes to the jaw and it's relation to the soft tissue, which is basically the barometer for normal growth, so gummy smile or lip incompetence would be the measurement of how much to correct. As far as the whole face growing wrong and throwing everything off, definitely possible I guess. I think everyone experiences vertical growth to some degree, generally the less the better which is why models faces are often so close to perfect forward growth (and so rare). it's only the extreme outliers that we notice and label as LFS

CK

• Private
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 02:01:56 AM »
it's only the extreme outliers that we notice and label as LFS

i think in some cases it is the opposite. i have seen a lot of b/a on surgeons site that describe patients as having long face syndrome and it isn't even close to the cases we see here, or the girl above. i think the label is misused, at least what is superficially considered to be lfs.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 09:58:53 AM »

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 10:03:42 AM »
Modigliani any more before/after from Prof MM?

isn't he retiring this year or something?

I'll scout about for more.

Not retiring as far as I know.