Author Topic: Maurice Mommaerts  (Read 56764 times)

Gregor Samsa

Re: More Mommaerts
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 08:07:39 AM »
The first thing my sister said when she met me after the surgery was "you don't look any different". So much for all the warnings that I wasn't going to be able to recognize myself afterward.  ;D

applejuice

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 08:19:36 AM »
LOL i know that feeling. A friend asked me a few days ago when i will have my surgery  ;D

applejuice

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 03:35:21 PM »
Only lower jaw advancement (something like 6mm). Probably should have insisted on a bimax to get more advancement. But they convincingly talked me out of it.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 10:18:06 AM »
How exactly would a bimax have allowed you to get more advancement? I thought it was the relationship between your lower and upper teeth that primarily sets the limit for how much your jaws can be moved.

applejuice

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »
Well, one could advance both jaws or use ccw rotation which would increase the advancement of the lower jaw.

This thesis explains the different methods ( linear, cw, ccw):
www.regea.fi/pdf/JohanReyneke.pdf
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:50:40 AM by applejuice »

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
Okay you could obviously advance both jaws at the same time but what if you have a situation like mine where the lower jaw can't be advanced more since it's already where it needs to be while the upper jaw needs significant advancement?

applejuice

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
I dont get what mean. Why cant the lower jaw be further advanced?
If in your case the upper jaw needs to be more advanced, so does the lower.
The lower jaw can/must be advanced till the lower incisors are behind the upper incisors i.e. the bite is closed.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »
Advancing both of the jaws wouldn't do much good in my case since it's the relationship between the jaws that look all wrong. If you look at my lips when I smile etc then it looks like my upper jaw needs to be advanced much more but the problem is that my bite is actually pretty to close to what it should be so advancing only one jaw would lead to a problem with the bite.

applejuice

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »
Unfortunately i dont have access to the private forum and cant see your pics  :(
If your bite is properly aligned, ccw or cw rotation and linear advancement of the maxillomandibular complex (ie both jaws) is still possible.

applejuice

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 05:12:13 AM »
It's always the same. If the surgery doesnt go well or you are dissatisfied, you are left out in the rain  >:(
And of course no other surgeon wants to touch you with a 10 feet pole after an unsuccessful surgery.
Either because the chances of success are low or because he knows you are a critical patient.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 08:27:25 AM »
Only lower jaw advancement (something like 6mm). Probably should have insisted on a bimax to get more advancement. But they convincingly talked me out of it.

This is my concern.  They have me down for lower only and I know I will only be able to get a similar movement that way, and I feel that I need more

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 08:36:50 AM »
If your upper jaw is fine as it is, wouldn't advancing it just to achieve more movement in the lower jaw cause unbalance in your face? I've seen many people complain about ending up with a particular "ape look" after having too much advancement.

applejuice

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 08:56:42 AM »
This is my concern.  They have me down for lower only and I know I will only be able to get a similar movement that way, and I feel that I need more

Your xray looks very similar to mine. As a girl you might get away with a slightly recessed look but it would probably still suck.
Consult with other surgeons. I consulted with 2 and that wasnt enough :(

You can easily simulate the result of a lower jaw advancement for yourself. Just push your lower jaw forward with relaxed lips. This is 95% the result you will get.
The surgeons persuaded me that it would look better ie less recessed. But that did not happen. Dont get fooled like me.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:05:37 AM by applejuice »

notrain

• Private
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 09:05:42 AM »
If your upper jaw is fine as it is, wouldn't advancing it just to achieve more movement in the lower jaw cause unbalance in your face? I've seen many people complain about ending up with a particular "ape look" after having too much advancement.

yes, they have to take this into account obviously. any good surgeon will determine if your maxilla is in an aesthetically pleasing position first, before drawing up  a surgical plan. I am wondering if applejuice was on a NONEX plan and thats why he got such a small advancement. I can get twice the amount of linear mandibular advancement he had (12mm, maybe even 14mm) if I accept the extraction of 2 lower premolars to get full decompensation. this is without touching my upper jaw at all.

applejuice

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 09:15:24 AM »
No, i got f**ked by greedy and lazy surgeons with no drive to deliver a pleasing result  ;)
I had no extractions. Obviously i dont need that much advancement to restore a normal bite. I probably would have needed a little bit of ccw or upper jaw advancement to get a decent result.
They used ape/dog face scare mongering to push me to lower jaw advancement.