Author Topic: how to make these chins better? short form face surgery upcoming  (Read 2382 times)

academiannut

I'm scheduled for Lefort 1, bilateral sagittal split osteotomes of mandible, and osteotomy and reshaping of chin for April.

My biggest concern right now is the chin.  My surgeon wants to lengthen the chin.  This was very counterintuitive for me since I've always hated how prominent and pointy my chin appeared in contrast to my underground jaws.  Looking through some of these similar patients, I have to say that I"m not a big fan of some of the chin outcomes.

https://pocketdentistry.com/23-short-face-growth-patterns-maxillomandibular-deficiency/

If you scroll down to the first blonde woman, her results are overall very pleasing, but I think she'd look better with a narrower jaw or chin?  I don't know the language to describe it - but chin/jaw overall feels too wide to be ideal.

The third one, the brunette with a sort of classical renaissance aesthetic, I felt like had the worst outcome.  I'd want to go get that chin narrowed immediately, shaving off the two edges.  Many aspects of her face look better, but I almost think she looked better before, and it's just because of her chin. 

The fourth woman, brunette with a cute/young looking face is the one whose ceph my surgeon thought most closely matched mine.  Again, an improvement but the chin feels weird.

In short, I'm scared of having a chin aesthetic/outcome I don't like and don't know how to communicate to my doc what I do want in this area.

Though I love this women 's chin - it is longer but I think I love it because it's angled.  https://www.facialsculptureclinic.com/en/case/all-cases/252/

If I could get that look, I think I'd love it -

https://imgur.com/a/7slYWPE

pics of my chin

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:16:13 PM by kavan »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: how to make these chins better? short form face surgery upcoming
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:30:12 PM »
First link:

The 3rd photo of the brunette with the really SHORT face which you don't like is a rather impressively balanced outcome correcting her short face.

However, what to NOTICE about the patients in the academic link, that is if you want to be 'academic' about looking at things is they all have their own chins (segments of such) moved/displaced via a diagonal cut to do so. They are not having the chins re contoured. They are just having them RE-POSITIONED.

Second link:

As to the photo you like (DeFrancq link), what to NOTICE is her chin, itself, is NOT angled. It's the fact that her changed chin casts focus on her nice JAW ANGLES that can be seen from the front which were ALREADY THERE, yet her prior chin detracted from appreciating her inherent jaw angles.

So, right there, you need to improve your observational skisss simply because not observing what the relationships really are can result in the self negating language in terms of special requests based on faulty observations as in asking for the wrong thing. For an example of self negating or conflicting language; you don't want a 'pointy chin like yours'. Yet you say you would like the photos of the people in the first link better IF they had their chins NARROWED. Guess what chin narrowing would do to them? Give them a more POINTY chin.

You even run interference with people on this board observing the right things and you do it by photos at too close an angle or at the wrong head posture. Emphasizing that way as to zero in on a basically warped photo perspective is the worse thing you can do if you wish others to look at salient relationships. Did you not NOTICE that NONE of the photos in any of the links you gave (of chin results) showed cocked facial postures as you show in your photos?

That said, learn to observe what there is to be observed and that will help with the language skisss needed to make special requests to the doctor.

Note: Board function replaced a double 'L' with a double 'S' in the event anyone is wondering why the word; 's-k-i-l-l' gets changed to skill.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 02:46:23 PM »
I am new to all this, which is why I'm asking for help understanding the issues involved.  Nope, not an expert on which photo angles are best or how to even phrase what I'm looking for.  If I were, I wouldn't be here asking for help understanding a subject area I am a complete noob in.

But good job making me want to quit this forum immediately after beginning to engage with it.

Well if I had known you were a 'Fragile. Handle with Care.' case, I would have packaged the info in double insulated bubble wrap and sent it to you 'special delivery'.

But if you mean to tell me you found no VALUE in the info meant to direct you to NOTICE what I called your attention to, I shan't bother you or with any more.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

april

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 05:21:05 PM »
I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds to me you prefer a V-shape from the front, but less prominent (or pointy as you say) in profile. I would find out if your surgeon is doing recontouring or repositioning.

ben from UK

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 12:50:14 PM »
Yeah I understand what you mean. You already have a bit of a masculine chin. But to have a more oval shaped/feminine one, you probably need additional shaving as well. You also seem to have a bit of a retruded maxilla.