Author Topic: Hate my stupid face (16 month post le fort 1)  (Read 12131 times)

Hollymou

Hate my stupid face (16 month post le fort 1)
« on: January 28, 2019, 08:57:15 AM »
Hi
I am a 33 yr old mother of 4. My youngest three don’t know me without braces.

I have never been the prettiest girl. I had a long nose but it sat okay on my face and I was kind of used to it/over it. I had an open bite (only one or two back molars touched on one side) and I therefore had a cant. Visible in photos if I smiled too wide. Imagine teeth with a diagonal gum line. Not great but could get away with looking “normal” at a distance.

Anyway. Orthodontist said at first double surgery and put on braces. The braces caused an underbite. I asked why and they said it was to exaggerate the problem to make her the surgery results stay if they regress a bit. So in December ‘16 I had le fort 1 surgery and the surgeon did a septoplasty whilst there. I came out with the same angled top jaw but a bite that had come forward over the underbite (too far imo) and it had also been brought down a bit. Again too far my top teeth look too far from my nose...

My nose. 😐
My long fit-into-my-face nose has been pushed out at the base by what was done. The screws are directly under each alar base.  The septoplasty has given me a completely crooked nose. It’s so wide both horizontally and vertically (if I roll my lips like you do after putting Lip balm on my nose is pulled one. If I pout both nostrils are noticeably different size and shapes.

My profile is awful. Everything begins to jut out beginning under my eye bags and all not in a good way. One side of my profile you can see a lot more inside the nostril because of the crookedness.

I tried to accept it and “get used to it” as I was never a stunner anyway and have other things to think about anyway but I can’t help but react with disgust every time I am reminded what I did to my face. Whether it’s a mirror or a photgraph I am still surprised by my face and do not identify with it.

My orthodontist effed off to another hospital and I had a period of around 8months whereby I was see only a couple of times by people with no clue about what I had even had done. I finally found an orthodontist that wanted to help me (my elastics weren’t working at bringing my jaw down into correct position. Anyway it turns out I have two ankylosis teeth which were preventing it so now we re working around them to bring the rest of the teeth down and slowly this is happening.

She arranged a meeting with the surgeon and he said as far as he is concerned the surgery was a success (my midline of my front teeth is in line with my top lip middle - job done) he said I have a “beautiful nose” which I really believe he was taking the piss. They both recommended some counselling and said 2-3% of patients aren’t happy with the final result.

My eyes are hollower, I still have the initial “who-ville” appearance that everyone told me would go with the swelling. I am completely fugly. When I smile all of it comes together into an awful grimace where I don’t look hat I just look pained. I don’t want to have any more surgery but I honestly don’t know what to do. My husband doesn’t help. When I had our baby he took a photo and then said “why are you doing that face?” I was smiling. It was truly hideous. The other day he took a photo and raised his eyebrows as if to say it was too horrible for him to show me. He did and it was horrible. I wish I had just left it.

I showed the surgeon a picture of the difference before and after and he said wait until 18months post surgery as because I had a baby it would have changed my face along with the surgery and I need time to go back to normal. I’m now thinking that I will maybe like it more once my face isn’t fillwed with metal but I can only hope.

I don’t want to feel like this anymore. I feel like I have lost myself and don’t know how to get back to feeling normal.

Hollymou

Re: Hate my stupid face (16 month post le fort 1)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 08:58:20 AM »
Before

Hollymou

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 08:59:42 AM »
After

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »

.... I have never been the prettiest girl.  I had a long nose but it sat okay on my face and I was kind of used to it/over it. I had an open bite (only one or two back molars touched on one side) and I therefore had a cant. Visible in photos if I smiled too wide. Imagine teeth with a diagonal gum line. Not great but could get away with looking “normal” at a distance.

It sounds like you had anterior open bite. More on one side than the other. In general a segment of the posterior maxilla is removed and in your case, this may have been done to ONE side or more to one side if you had a segment removed from both sides as PART of your Lefort 1. Does that sound like what was done in your surgery?

Ok, so you also had a longish nose but you were USED to it. It sounds like you knew on some level that there was some aesthetic problem with your nose and perhaps that was a contributing factor of your 'never been the prettiest'. May I assume this was not a situation where where you 'loved' your nose so much that you refused (or never consented to) any nose work during the surgery?

Anyway. Orthodontist said at first double surgery and put on braces. The braces caused an underbite. I asked why and they said it was to exaggerate the problem to make her the surgery results stay if they regress a bit. So in December ‘16 I had le fort 1 surgery and the surgeon did a septoplasty whilst there. I came out with the same angled top jaw but a bite that had come forward over the underbite (too far imo) and it had also been brought down a bit. Again too far my top teeth look too far from my nose...

Braces in preparation for surgery (and sometimes this is called 'decompensation' if you had braces before to camouflage a skeletal disharmony) usually create a bite one would not want to have remain as such and we might call the brace preparation phase as the braces kicking up a 'bad bite'. But that's done to make the bite right as part of the surgery and to also address the skeletal disharmony. Sometimes the goal to get the bite right after the surgery involves either braces or some other movement device modality to fine tune. So, if your upper front teeth over extended the bottom ones, the braces would remain and they would alter the direction of them or you could have other devices to fine tune like elastics. Sounds like that could be the case.

As to septoplasty, nose changes go along with the territory with a lefort 1 because the base of the nose is part of the Lefort 1. A good maxfax will do things so the nose changes actually look better. But if someone is very 'ATTACHED' to their nose or how they looked before surgery, even if the aesthetic changes would be considered an improvement to the average eye or in accordance to aesthetic norms for the nose, they can be SO USED to the aesthetic deviation they had that they can find FAULT with the aesthetic changes even if they are improvements. 'Fault' being is that the result is not how they USED TO look or how they were USED TO looking.

My nose. 😐
My long fit-into-my-face nose has been pushed out at the base by what was done. The screws are directly under each alar base.  The septoplasty has given me a completely crooked nose. It’s so wide both horizontally and vertically (if I roll my lips like you do after putting Lip balm on my nose is pulled one. If I pout both nostrils are noticeably different size and shapes.

A nose being pushed out at the base happens in most Lefort 1s when the lefort 1 includes ADVANCEMENT which your L1 had to have included given your preparation for a single jaw surgery was to first create an UNDERBITE. So, since the base of the nose moves with the L1, it's NORMAL part of the surgery process for the base to be advanced.

Also to the best of my knowledge, people usually have some asymmetry to the nostrils and it's common for prior asymmetry to go unnoticed and for any asymmetry to be NOTICED when there is a change to the nose. It could be the case where the CANT you started with and got corrected contributed to PRIOR asymmetry to the nose. BUT you were so USED to it, it went unnoticed.
It's common for people to PERCEIVE 'asymmetry' when MORE symmetry has actually been created.

That could be the case with you. But to take a closer look, you would need a straight ahead FRONT pose of both before and after.

My profile is awful. Everything begins to jut out beginning under my eye bags and all not in a good way. One side of my profile you can see a lot more inside the nostril because of the crookedness.

Again, nostril size as in one nostril compared to the other can be un even from the get go on many people and it's kind of normal. Besides, it's not a thing where OTHER PEOPLE are looking up your nostrils when viewing your face. If you wanted people to take a look at the nostril sizes, that takes a BASE of the nose (worm's eye photo).

You relay your profile is 'awful'. But you don't show profile photos.

I tried to accept it and “get used to it” as I was never a stunner anyway and have other things to think about anyway but I can’t help but react with disgust every time I am reminded what I did to my face. Whether it’s a mirror or a photgraph I am still surprised by my face and do not identify with it.

Your after shot looks MUCH BETTER than your before. Your nose looks good and you have the right amount of UPPER TEETH SHOW when smiling.

What you have is called a LOCUS OF IDENTITY ISSUE. This reverberates in many of your statements. A Locus of Identity issue is when someone has an aesthetic improvment. But despite their looking better, it turns out that they have an ATTACHMENT to how they looked before. The 'emotional support' for that is to realize you have that and seek out a therapist who deals with that type of issue.

My orthodontist effed off to another hospital and I had a period of around 8months whereby I was see only a couple of times by people with no clue about what I had even had done. I finally found an orthodontist that wanted to help me (my elastics weren’t working at bringing my jaw down into correct position. Anyway it turns out I have two ankylosis teeth which were preventing it so now we re working around them to bring the rest of the teeth down and slowly this is happening.

That's an example of what I said above where braces or other devices (maybe elastics) are used post surgery to fine tune things.

She arranged a meeting with the surgeon and he said as far as he is concerned the surgery was a success (my midline of my front teeth is in line with my top lip middle - job done) he said I have a “beautiful nose” which I really believe he was taking the piss. They both recommended some counselling and said 2-3% of patients aren’t happy with the final result.

Well, your nose DOES look better in the after. But you are UNABLE to SEE that due to your ATTACHMENT and/or being USED TO to your prior look  That's a LOCUS OF IDENTITY ISSUE and you would be better served to seek out therapy to help with that rather than to attribute your reaction to your outcome to the doc 'talking piss' because s/he sees an improvement.

In the pose you are striking in the photos, your nose looks better. Again, if you want people to see how 'awful' the profile is, then post profile before and afters. Likewise with 'asymmetry to nostrils', post basal views of nose base and with 'crookedness', post a full FRONT FACING photos.

My eyes are hollower, I still have the initial “who-ville” appearance that everyone told me would go with the swelling. I am completely fugly. When I smile all of it comes together into an awful grimace where I don’t look hat I just look pained. I don’t want to have any more surgery but I honestly don’t know what to do. My husband doesn’t help. When I had our baby he took a photo and then said “why are you doing that face?” I was smiling. It was truly hideous. The other day he took a photo and raised his eyebrows as if to say it was too horrible for him to show me. He did and it was horrible. I wish I had just left it.

Since you ARE distressed due to a change BECAUSE of a LOCUS OF IDENTITY ISSUE, it's not too far of a stretch for you to show facial distress signs when someone is taking a photo.

I showed the surgeon a picture of the difference before and after and he said wait until 18months post surgery as because I had a baby it would have changed my face along with the surgery and I need time to go back to normal. I’m now thinking that I will maybe like it more once my face isn’t fillwed with metal but I can only hope.

I don’t want to feel like this anymore. I feel like I have lost myself and don’t know how to get back to feeling normal.

It usually takes about a year for all things to settle. But I guess hormonal changes with having a baby in addition to your needing a longer time to get used to the new look might require an 18 month adjustment period.

To get through this adjustment, realize what you are expressing is a LOCUS OF IDENTITY ISSUE and seek out a therapist who can help you with the distress of change in appearance that's hard to adjust to given this type of issue.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Meefly

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 12:43:02 PM »
Given Kavan's excellent and comprehensive answer I certainly can't add any technical analysis.  But from a purely subjective cosmetic outcome I think you were attractive before notwithstanding obvious bite issues. But I think that you look very attractive in the after photo  and I can see a clear improvement.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 02:06:38 PM »

A lot of the text you provide does not give much information about what the actual problem is. The above is something someone here can help you get som clarity on though. If you think your profile is awful, you need to post a picture of your profile and show what you mean, if you want an objective judgement of it. The after photo is not even a profile picture and part of your face is not visible.

I'm very sorry you feel the way you do about your face, in the pictures you provide you look good. If you want a fair evaluation, you need a better photo presentation.

april

• Private
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 03:40:38 PM »
I'm not seeing an issue with your smile. You have full lips, full tooth show and ideal gum show. Basically a perfect smile. You don't look strained at all. You're pretty in both, but more youthful in the after photo. Sorry you're feeling this way. I do feel for you because although people can give you a ton of reassurance, what you're feeling and seeing is still very real to you. Hope you can adjust in time.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 04:24:49 PM »
Really you need to share more accurate photos. Based on what you posted, you look better after, but the after photo angle look to be covering up the result.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 09:49:48 PM »
you're retarded and probably need counselling

you look way better in the after, the nose looks way better and suits your face. your teeth are in a perfect position. i mean if you got a body to match I'd bang the s**t out of you.

you're very pretty. def. get some counselling and you got to change your mind and the rest will follow.

ben from UK

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »
Way better is a bit of an exagteration. Better pics are needed to make a better comparison.

She has a long midface, bad nose, retruded chin and negative canthal tilt in the before. These are things that can make someone extremely unhappy,

Looking at first picture she could maybe have profited from Asian boneshaving of lower third, making it more of a v-shape/hartform face. But i'm not sure cause bad pics.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 09:27:17 AM »
You need to post better photos, but I see improvement in the second pic.  You're attractive in both.  I think this is mostly psychological.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 10:26:10 AM »
they shortened and upturned your nose, it looks so much better.

you look so much younger in the after picture. i can't believe you're not over the moon!

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 10:35:33 AM »
It's hard to deduct anything from these pictures.
They're terrible for assessing the result.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

jusken

• Private
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 12:02:23 PM »
It is very hard to be objective given these two very different distances/angles.  I would say you look very good in the after, but it is fairly obvious your nose was widened quite a bit in the after (mine was too).  This can be a hard change to get used to.

fresh-double-jaw

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 02:01:01 PM »
I can definitely say that I see a super pretty lady in the AFTER picture.   I can totally relate that its hard to see something different in the mirror than your used to but I assure you no one would look at that picture and saying anything other than "I wonder if she is single!! What a beauty!".     I have the same issue only 5 weeks post surgery.  I hate looking at myself as my nose and face have changed so much.   I prefer how I looked prior but other people I'm over analyhing it.