Author Topic: Fixation screws & tooth root injury  (Read 992 times)

Ember22

Fixation screws & tooth root injury
« on: April 03, 2019, 10:43:21 AM »
I'm looking for information about tooth root damage resulting from screw placement during jaw surgery.  If you have experience with this, I'd be interested to hear what happened and where you are at now with this.  How common is this?  What factors play a role?  Is the tooth a complete loss if a screw damages the root?

DRIVVEN

• Private
Re: Fixation screws & tooth root injury
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 01:44:35 AM »
I had surgery two years ago and a fixation screw was placed through my root and my pulp. I had horrible pain and swelling for a year and a half and nobody looked into what was causing it. My surgical team including the dentist was out of town and told me to gargle. I finally went to a local endodonist and i had an abscess letting it go so long. I then got an infection in my jaw. Nightmare! I had to get a root canal and i never had one before.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 07:58:44 AM »
I'm looking for information about tooth root damage resulting from screw placement during jaw surgery.  If you have experience with this, I'd be interested to hear what happened and where you are at now with this.  How common is this?  What factors play a role?  Is the tooth a complete loss if a screw damages the root?

Yes, that type of root damage happens. I'd say it's in the 15 to 20% range in terms of how common. The length of your roots, where the cut was made, and surgical execution are the main factors.

Whether it's a complete loss depends on many things. In general, you'll go to an endodontist, and they'll give you the hot/cold test on that tooth. If there is no sensation, it is either calcified (on an x-ray this will look strange...cementum has filled in the pulp -- maybe you can keep it in this state and not even need a root canal) or dead (the pulp is receiving no blood). If the tooth is dead you can be looking at extraction, or at least a root canal.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Ember22

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 07:23:59 AM »
I had surgery two years ago and a fixation screw was placed through my root and my pulp. I had horrible pain and swelling for a year and a half and nobody looked into what was causing it. My surgical team including the dentist was out of town and told me to gargle. I finally went to a local endodonist and i had an abscess letting it go so long. I then got an infection in my jaw. Nightmare! I had to get a root canal and i never had one before.

And according to your other post, Gunson was your surgeon? s**t.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 07:05:11 PM »
And according to your other post, Gunson was your surgeon? s**t.

Yes.  I just saw your post. sorry i did not respond before. :)