Author Topic: Scared of going through with surgery  (Read 3708 times)

dardok

Scared of going through with surgery
« on: April 07, 2019, 01:15:43 PM »
I've pretty much done all my research and the next step would be just preparing the trip and scheduling a date.

However I find myself being in a period of extreme indecision. The thing I am most worried about is the anesthesia. I shared my plans with my parents and they have been sending me
surgery tragedies for the past half a year. I dont know if it is there fearmongering or just my own anxiety but I am deathly worried about the risks, to the point that I may say fk it to everything.

However at the same time I am sick and tired of living with this facial flaw and would do anything to get rid of it.

It seems the posters here have much bigger balls than me, so I am wondering if anyone has any input they would like to share.

PloskoPlus

Re: Scared of going through with surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 01:45:58 PM »
What kind of surgery?

dardok

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 02:44:58 PM »
https://www.institutomaxilofacial.com/en/2018/07/25/la-osteotomia-en-forma-de-u-para-el-tratamiento-de-deficiencias-paranasales/

This one

My primary concern is the general anaesthesia, which will be the first time I do it and it will be in a foreign country (spain).
I know statistically it is uncommon to die from this but when I go online almost all deaths from surgery have been related to some idiot blunder in administering the anaesthesia.
I think the actual osteotomy itself will be fine as it is not so severe.

In reality this risk exists and I am voluntarily exposing myself to it, furthermore I will not be in control of any of this process unlike other risks for example, such as driving a car.

Sick and tired of my stupid face and the one stupid flaw it has.

swissguy

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »
the risks are nearly nonexistant, most people who die from anaesthesia are either old are the doctors f**ked up.
its probably more dangerous to step out of the shower

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
Being scared of jaw surgery and the outcome is natural. Anything else would be nonsense.

Being scared of the anaesthesia is nothing I can relate to though. On healthy people it's very safe. It's not very nice of your parents to use this against you. Would they do the same if it was a surgery they approve of, or is it just a way to talk you out of jaw surgery? In that case, ask them to cut the bulls**t and tell you what the real problem is so you have something to discuss.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 04:41:30 PM »
I'd be more concerned about a poor aesthetic outcome, nerve damage.

Lefortitude

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 03:16:03 PM »
yeah being scared of the anesthesia is like running through traffic and being scared of the wildlife.

Alfaros great though. Chances are, you're gonna have a good experience.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 04:38:52 PM »
there is ZERO reason to be afraid of this.

fresh-double-jaw

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 12:17:33 PM »
This is just my opinion, but I would highly advise anyone NOT TO DO JAW SURGERY unless its medically necessary.   I had both jaws advanced but it was super necessary as I was having extreme sleep apena.  Even still, I wish I would have been able to try things like a CPAP more because the surgery is brutal.   I wouldnt be worried about going under, but more the very long and painful healing process.  And everyone can make mistakes, including surgeons!   I have a big scar I shouldnt have because while I was under something was wrapped so tightly around my head that it tore skin off my chin, caused an infection there and will be scarred for life.  It was also so right around my head that it caused two bald spots.  I'm only on my 6th week but I regret the surgery and wouldnt want anyone I love going through this recovery.  Its easier to recover from open heart surgery than double jaw surgery.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 12:58:54 PM »
This is just my opinion, but I would highly advise anyone NOT TO DO JAW SURGERY unless its medically necessary.   I had both jaws advanced but it was super necessary as I was having extreme sleep apena.  Even still, I wish I would have been able to try things like a CPAP more because the surgery is brutal.   I wouldnt be worried about going under, but more the very long and painful healing process.  And everyone can make mistakes, including surgeons!   I have a big scar I shouldnt have because while I was under something was wrapped so tightly around my head that it tore skin off my chin, caused an infection there and will be scarred for life.  It was also so right around my head that it caused two bald spots.  I'm only on my 6th week but I regret the surgery and wouldnt want anyone I love going through this recovery.  Its easier to recover from open heart surgery than double jaw surgery.

JS has many complications but I'd say yours are pretty unique. More relevant risks are numbness, functional damage, aesthetics and relapse.

fresh-double-jaw

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 06:23:08 PM »
Relapse sounds the worse, but I dont think its possible with advancement.  Both jaws would have to move themselves back!  How ?  Yeah, part of me joining is to see how usual or unusual my complications and post surgery symptoms are.   

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 10:28:03 PM »
Relapse sounds the worse, but I dont think its possible with advancement.  Both jaws would have to move themselves back!  How ?  Yeah, part of me joining is to see how usual or unusual my complications and post surgery symptoms are.
Muscles pull the bones to the old position.

Lestat

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 03:13:45 AM »
Muscles pull the bones to the old position.

How long is the risk of relapse after surgery?

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 08:52:40 AM »
How long is the risk of relapse after surgery?

Forever.
I know people who relapsed at 10 years.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Lefortitude

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 09:00:54 AM »
Forever.
I know people who relapsed at 10 years.

Can you elaborate? My understanding is that this only happens in cases of tmj inflammatory issues like rheumatoid arthritis.