Author Topic: Big bump despite a wraparound peek implant  (Read 3204 times)

Stei

Big bump despite a wraparound peek implant
« on: April 19, 2019, 03:01:32 PM »
Hello,

I’ve got a PEEK implant three weeks ago and there is a major issue with it.
As I tried to represent it in the attached pic, I cannot feel the implant as it is on the plan. What I can feel is a big bump, irregular and hard like a bone. I am really worried about it.
Has anyone already experienced this ? Could it be edema ? coagulated blood ?
I’m currently seeing a physiotherapist and she’s convinced that it is bone because it is not movable.
I’ve already talked about this with my surgeon but I could see that he had actually no idea. He told me that I should wait since it may be from the swelling, but he also told me that I am too perfectionist and expect too much.

Is it too much to expect a bone at least regular after spending thousands of euros ? (it's not rhetorical, I actually have no idea). I’m not even talking about the aesthetic aspect (that I don’t even like) but as weird as it may sound I have not done this surgery in this purpose. I am 26 and I had to go through 6 jaw surgery (including this one) already, the first was done when I was 13 and destroyed my whole bone structure. So the whole point of this implant was to cover the marks left by all these surgeries.   

So if anyone has knowledge in this field : is it possible that the part I drew in red can be something else that my bone ?
I don’t want to follow the surgeon’s recommendation (which is to wait again). That’s been 15 years that I live with these problems and I would like to finally see the end of it. All my former interventions have led to disappointments like this and proved each time to be the worst case scenario. It was the case with the last one and I had to wait 2 years to prepare this one. If my surgeon cannot, I think everyone else can understand why I don’t want to wait another 6 months without knowing if something goes wrong with this surgery.

ben from UK

Re: Big bump despite a wraparound peek implant
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »
I don't understand. You take a wrap around implant, the image clearly shows the implant goes under the bone at the level of the red line. How could it be bone then? If it's under your previous jawborder, then it must be the implant, right? Or was your bone moved as well?

Usually, wrap around implants are placed in three pieces. the backpart, the middle part and the chin.

I don't think edema feels hard, but you still have swelling after three weeks, so it could disturb the overall image.

linoob

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 02:03:50 AM »
I know it's been a long time since you posted but it's possible it could be scar tissue.

While it by rights should be a completely linear / smooth surface, we can't see the soft tissues from this scan.

Did you sort it out?

Stei

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 09:39:25 AM »
It was the implant. I had a "free of charge" revision since then, but it's still not it. All implants are still incorrectly placed. If the bump I was worried about is indeed less proeminent, now you can feel a gap between the chin implant and the implant going to the angle on this side and an overlap on the other side (it's only logical). I have been fighting for almost a year now to make the surgeon acknowledge his mistakes (he sent me for a basic scan - which can't differentiate the soft tissue from the peek - then refused to give me a prescription for the correct scan) and I'm once again asking for a revision. I feel stuck in an eternal loop. The surgeon is very reticent to accept my request, despite the fact that I gathered substantial evidence.
So stay tuned, I may make the whole thing public soon.

IconVillage

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 10:03:11 AM »
Who is the surgeon? DeFrancq?