Author Topic: Posterior open bite - 6 weeks post-op  (Read 984 times)

ODog

Posterior open bite - 6 weeks post-op
« on: April 30, 2019, 06:32:45 PM »
Hi guys,

I’m 6 weeks post op and am very, very pleased with the overall result from my jaw surgery aesthetics wise.

However today my orthodontist said I have an open bite on my left side. I felt this after surgery and mentioned it when the splint came off that my molars were occluding only on one side, but he said that was “normal” after wearing the splint for a couple weeks.

Well turns out the unilateral occlusion wasn’t a temporary thing. I also have pain when I chew so I can only chew on my right side. I have pain on that side when I swallow for some reason, been like that for a couple weeks, not sure if it’s related. I now notice that my third tooth on the right comes down more than the third tooth on the left. So it seems my surgeon screwed on my jaw on a slight cant?

My ortho said it was fixable I think, but he quickly changed the topic and was very vague. My hunch is he didn’t want to directly admit it was a less than ideal job in regards to the bite. I add his detail because I’m not sure if he’s ALSO glossing over the reality that he probably won’t be able to fix the issue completely and may only be able to fix it SOMEWHAT with braces.

So I’d like to hear opinions on what can be done about this. The gap looks pretty large to me I can’t see how braces can fix this.

Here’s a pic showing the open space on my left side: https://imgur.com/a/hVwvc3Y

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:58:14 PM by ODog »

ghiggson90

• Private
Re: Lateral open bite - 6 weeks post-op
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 07:39:35 PM »
Hi guys,

I’m 6 weeks post op and am very, very pleased with the overall result from my jaw surgery aesthetics wise.

However today my orthodontist said I have an open bite on my left side. I felt this after surgery and mentioned it when the splint came off that my molars were occluding only on one side, but he said that was “normal” after wearing the splint for a couple weeks.

Well turns out the unilateral occlusion wasn’t a temporary thing. I also have pain when I chew so I can only chew on my right side. I have pain on that side when I swallow for some reason, been like that for a couple weeks, not sure if it’s related. I now notice that my third tooth on the right comes down more than the third tooth on the left. So it seems my surgeon screwed on my jaw on a slight cant?

My ortho said it was fixable I think, but he quickly changed the topic and was very vague. My hunch is he didn’t want to directly admit it was a less than ideal job in regards to the bite. I add his detail because I’m not sure if he’s ALSO glossing over the reality that he probably won’t be able to fix the issue completely and may only be able to fix it SOMEWHAT with braces.

So I’d like to hear opinions on what can be done about this. The gap looks pretty large to me I can’t see how braces can fix this.

Here’s a pic showing the open space on my left side: https://imgur.com/a/jeoRQPq

Thanks guys.

Hard to tell without better images, but I've seen more extreme cases corrected with some variant of posterior elastics. Be patient, stay on top of it. I'd bet you'll be fine!

ODog

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 07:44:31 PM »
Hard to tell without better images, but I've seen more extreme cases corrected with some variant of posterior elastics. Be patient, stay on top of it. I'd bet you'll be fine!

I’m sure it is correctable but what if it relapses in the future, etc. Always better to move the bones in the best possible position. I just expected the surgery to do a better job aligning the teeth and to not leave such a big discrepancy to be fixed orthodontically. I’m not looking forward to 6 months with elastics on one side of my teeth. Speaking will be difficult.

Thanks!

ArtVandelay

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »
How is your occlusion on the contact side, is it just one over erupted tooth hitting early or many molars contacting?

ODog

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 07:50:02 PM »
How is your occlusion on the contact side, is it just one over erupted tooth hitting early or many molars contacting?

I have full contact on the occluding side. It just sort of feels like only two teeth are hitting but many look to be in contact.

Love the username btw loll.

ghiggson90

• Private
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 07:55:53 PM »
I’m sure it is correctable but what if it relapses in the future, etc. Always better to move the bones in the best possible position. I just expected the surgery to do a better job aligning the teeth and to not leave such a big discrepancy to be fixed orthodontically. I’m not looking forward to 6 months with elastics on one side of my teeth. Speaking will be difficult.

Thanks!

Your teeth will move quickly, I doubt you'll need 6 months. With retention you should be okay, and if not, probably buttons and elastics could keep you steady (not needing full braces)...

ODog

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 07:56:22 PM »

I added another image to the link. What exactly do you need to see. I think I’m showing the full gap.

ODog

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 08:00:52 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 08:09:56 PM by ODog »

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Posterior open bite - 6 weeks post-op
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 12:43:48 AM »
I also think you'll be okay.

Things shift around a fair bit for the next several months after surgery as the bones remodel.

If your ortho stays on top of things and you keep in elastics it should be able to fix the problem.

THen where your retainers religiously for the next several months after you have the braces taken off and you should be fine. Doesn't seem there would be need for a revision surgery or anything like that. I think you should be fine.

ODog

Re: Posterior open bite - 6 weeks post-op
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 11:48:45 AM »
Fair enough ! Thanks Lazlo and to the others who responded.

I’ll hope for the best with the ortho treatment.