Author Topic: WILL NERVE REPAIR BE POSSIBLE?  (Read 5623 times)

Post bimax

• Private
Re: WILL NERVER REPAIR BE POSSIBLE?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 01:12:36 PM »
Except that you obvious lose feeling with a nerve damage, are there other implications such as paralysed muscles and unable to control parts of the face? Or is it always only lost feeling that is ment by nerve damage?

I made full nerve recovery but while I had damage my mouth would lips would open more on one side than the other. I think my chin muscles were pulling my mouth more on the side without damage than the 'dead' side. Though I'm not actually sure how all the muscles work together.

Even now when I open my mouth wide my bottom lip sort of 'cants' to one side. Almost like it was stretched out asymmetrically. It's not really a problem though and my regular speech looks and sounds normal now.

ODog

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 03:48:15 PM »
yeah. don't f**king believe that 2-5 % projection. 60 percent of BSSO patients will have half of their lips numb for life. it's just something you have to accept. it most probably will happen.

Does the numbness that lingers affect speech? I’m still not speaking properly, it’s difficult when your bottom lip is numb.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 07:30:12 PM »
Does the numbness that lingers affect speech? I’m still not speaking properly, it’s difficult when your bottom lip is numb.

i mean my main speech problems come from my tongue being constricted after bicuspid removal.

I do sometimes notice my dead half-lip has affected my speech but you kind of get used to it and adapt.

ODog

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 08:47:18 PM »
i mean my main speech problems come from my tongue being constricted after bicuspid removal.

I do sometimes notice my dead half-lip has affected my speech but you kind of get used to it and adapt.

It might just be me that finds speech difficult with the numb lip. Probably others noticed less of a problem and recovered normal function quicker.

I don’t mean to hijack your thread with my concerns, so I’ll just quickly say a new development for me is nerve pain in my lower teeth when I tap or rub some areas of my chin and jaw, mostly my chin. Hoping it’s temporary.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
It might just be me that finds speech difficult with the numb lip. Probably others noticed less of a problem and recovered normal function quicker.

I don’t mean to hijack your thread with my concerns, so I’ll just quickly say a new development for me is nerve pain in my lower teeth when I tap or rub some areas of my chin and jaw, mostly my chin. Hoping it’s temporary.

Probably temporary. It's important to relax and especially since you're still healing I would do some yoga if you can do it. The body can enlist its natural energies to heal when you're in a relaxed state. I know for example relaxation exercises help tremendously with periodontal issues. I mean to a degree, but a few degrees help may be all you need.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure at the 2 month point the numbness you have is what you're going to have to live with.

Even today I noticed I had a few problems feeling what I was saying because of my numb half of the bottom lip and I'm 2 plus years post op. It f**king sucks. Which is why I'm hoping they do something about it soon!

PloskoPlus

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 01:00:47 AM »
I made full nerve recovery but while I had damage my mouth would lips would open more on one side than the other. I think my chin muscles were pulling my mouth more on the side without damage than the 'dead' side. Though I'm not actually sure how all the muscles work together.

Even now when I open my mouth wide my bottom lip sort of 'cants' to one side. Almost like it was stretched out asymmetrically. It's not really a problem though and my regular speech looks and sounds normal now.
You're fortunate in that regard. Age is definitely a factor with these things.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »
You're fortunate in that regard. Age is definitely a factor with these things.

I'm waiting for the day when regardless of age they'll be able to repair such things. Ahh f**k, will science hurry up or what!?

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »

I'm waiting for the day when regardless of age they'll be able to repair such things. Ahh f**k, will science hurry up or what!?

It does boggle the mind that medical problems with massively lucrative monetization potential such as m/f pattern baldness have not been fully solved.

I imagine niche issues like acute nerve regeneration are even further down the line.

jusken

• Private
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 02:05:17 PM »
It does boggle the mind that medical problems with massively lucrative monetization potential such as m/f pattern baldness have not been fully solved.

I imagine niche issues like acute nerve regeneration are even further down the line.

When you think about how complicated any kind of regeneration is, it's really not too surprising. I think the whole industry has been essentially waiting on ML applications to come to fruition to be able to process the sheer amount of variables involved.

It's possible that instead of a very slow trickle of regeneration technology becoming available, it will come in waves.  Of course, I'm highly optimistic, and I know people like Plosko don't share this view...

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 02:54:50 PM »
When you think about how complicated any kind of regeneration is, it's really not too surprising. I think the whole industry has been essentially waiting on ML applications to come to fruition to be able to process the sheer amount of variables involved.

It's possible that instead of a very slow trickle of regeneration technology becoming available, it will come in waves.  Of course, I'm highly optimistic, and I know people like Plosko don't share this view...

I'm kind of optimistic too. Because the literature on things like hydrogel scaffolds (that help any kind of tissure regeneration), Crispr and stem cell regeneration is now a few decades old. It's time clinical applications will begin to trickle in come 2020 and then in a massive wave in 2025 and after. It's inevitable. So just cope as best you can till 2025 and then we're laughin. That's for sure.

april

• Private
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »
I think this is what the nerve guys currently use now to try deal with this - AxoGen

https://www.cincinnatijawsurgery.com/success-stories/case-study-nerve-repair-surgery/

But the thing is you have to be treated early, which is likely not gonna happen after jaw surgery for reasons this websites already says. it's just "wait and see", and then it's possibly too late.

ODog

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »
Honestly, I'm pretty sure at the 2 month point the numbness you have is what you're going to have to live with.

I still have hope. My upper lip is still quite swollen so I’m clearly still healing. My sensation is not perfect in the upper lip but it wouldn’t bother me if that’s what I’d have to live with since it wouldn’t affect anything functionally. I’m just now getting the stinging and itching in the upper lip that I’ve read is a good sign of recovery. So it still has a ways to go.

Since the lower nerves take longer to heal, I’m hopeful my lower lip is just lagging behind and will eventually go through the same regeneration. I’m taking the chin nerve pain as a good sign, better than complete numbness.

It’s just this lower lip feeling like a gummy worm that’s very annoying. I have trouble pronouncing ‘m’ ‘p’ and ‘b’ sounds. I wasn’t expecting this at 2 months.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 07:44:20 PM »
yeah, i know you're probably right. the problem is clearly with my mental nerve. I have a bit of a hope that the pain/numbness may be exacerbated or caused by the screws and plate from the genio. I am going to look into having that removed.

Do you have nerve pain in addition to the numbness? If the plates are close to the nerve, getting the plates removed might aggravate things.  Dr. Gunson performed a biopsy too close to my mental nerve after the jaw infection he caused that developed after an abcessed tooth pierced by a surgical screw.  If your nerve is just entrapped, or injured vs severed there are some potential procedures but you would need an MRN, an MRI of the nerve.  I had mine with  one the nation's leading experts for nerve damage.  I have multiple class 2, 3 and 4 injuries to the mandibular nerve on both sides.

There is some promising results from fat grafts, prp--giving the damaged nerve some space.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214541917300202

https://www.nervemed.com/nerve-disorders/nerve-trauma-entrapment-and-rsd/

Bottom line, IMO if you just have numbness be careful with any procedures close to the nerve as you don't want to trade numbness for nerve pain.

Lefortitude

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2019, 09:45:07 AM »
NYCOMS says they can repair trigeminal nerve damage through microsurgery https://www.new-york-oral-surgery.com/oral-surgeon-ny/nyc-trigeminal-nerve-microsurgery-new-york.htm

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »
NYCOMS says they can repair trigeminal nerve damage through microsurgery https://www.new-york-oral-surgery.com/oral-surgeon-ny/nyc-trigeminal-nerve-microsurgery-new-york.htm

says after 3 months likelihood of repair is significantly decreased. I'm 2 plus years.